MPI tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah dude, you can trim more fuel out. Don't be afraid, you have a WBO2 to look at, so do it until you are happy. I would tune the stockers to the max, then add the xtra injectors where needed. You are hitting around 4.6v or so on the analog out, so you have just a little more to go before you max it out at 4.98. Just because you had the TM for a year, doesn't mean your's is real aggressive. Nick stopped that a LONG time ago. I think there were only a hand fuel out there and just about all of them complained about it and ended up getting rid of it.

Tune 1 column at a time if you can. Do the tuning in the same gear every time and try to get the same load onthe car too. Try to get someone to go with you to hold the computer or drive so it will be easier to tune.

apoc---I'll PM you my number.

Last edited:
Rich I think we need to get Bigg Tim on the phone while we are tunning my car to find out what the hell is wrong with my car. I mean with the two of you guys on the phone and the know how the both of you have when it comes to this MPI stuff, we should get my car running like a champ.

yep, already in the process, I was talking to him today and then had to go pick up the kids and then the wife wanted to be taken out and she trying to quit smoking, which can make her a little cranky...

Anyway we got back late and I hope to finish talking to BT tomorrow...

So I'm still trimming fuel out, I'll post another datalog and my map monday probably. It feels really strong though, and I'm not sure what Beau has my wastegate set at because last night in second gear i really got on it for the first time and it boosted to 10 psi, and held there. I had enough fuel for it because that was the only time my wideband even moved to a reading. It was rich until then and then it held at 11.8-12.3 the whole time.

All you need to do is post the datalog. When we look at the datalog, we have your map, all we need to do is save that map. That way you don't have to upload a loat of stuff and take up room, the log is enough.

The last time I was in the car tuning, it was at 7psi. If you are seeing 10, the he must of up'd it. Try it some more and if you keep seeing 10, then that's what it is.

Yup, so far its still holding at 10 through second gear, and third until i let off the throttle. It pulls really hard, and i need a bit more fuel once full boost hits, but for the most part, its running really strong.

Glad to hear that !!! keep up the good tuning

Jeph said:
Yup, so far its still holding at 10 through second gear, and third until i let off the throttle. It pulls really hard, and i need a bit more fuel once full boost hits, but for the most part, its running really strong.

So how are you coming with things? R U getting the hang of it and understanding? Don't hesitate to ask!!!!

Yep, but we need a good day to spend fine tuning it out inthe country. The 30 min's in traffic ehre and there, makes it difficult to tune properly, but we'll get :D

Titanium-99 said:
I hope to be joining you with the same comments there pretty soon Jeph.

rich I say we get a copy of Jeph's map and see how it runs on my car, what do you think?

doesn't matter to me sounds great, but remember I highly doubt it will be a magic pill...

What you need to do is set aside enough time to tune. You will never get the map finished if we never get to properly work on it...

I will send you a copy of my map, but I'm in a Protege ES, not a Mazdaspeed. Plus i'm running extra injector as well, so i don't know how well my map will work for you. I did notice today in third gear passing someone on a hill under boost i went pretty lean for a bit, so i let off immediately. I have to get that worked out.

So I had a big exhaust leak right before my midpipe that were throwing number off a bit, but its running better now. I am still scared to pull fuel below the 0, but I think i'll start tonight.
One question though. Does the TM automatically dump fuel into the system, and thats why i go rich when i hit the switch point?

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO USE - NUMBERS!!! :) and yes the TM dumps fuel and that is why you go rich as a pig when it kicks in.... remember you may need to use 0's -numbers or even triple digit +'s number to have the perfect tune....

don't be afraid to tune with whatever you feel will work!!!

I've been working with gboromsp and he has -30's in there to pull some fuel out. Don't sweat the numbers, just do what needs to be done to get the A/F where you want it.

Update

So I've been working on my mpa quite a bit lately since i have long drives out to the middle of nowhere. I'll post a datalog tomorrow, but i am still running pretty rich up until about 6-7psi of boost. I've noticed i almost don't need my extra injector at all until 5500 rpms under full throttle, and thats about when i hit over 7 psi of boost. So there is a lot of headroom to work with :)
She pulls noticably harder now than before with some fuel trimmed out. I will keep it a little rich just because its getting colder here. But come spring I will be getting a boost controller and turning up the boost. Looking to run 15 pounds daily.
OH and another thing. The MPI software I had was acting funny, so i used the software BT posted and the software key he has, and it unlocked a whole set of features that i didn't have before. I was able to turn my throttle position switch on, so now when i go full throttle my A/F instantly drops which is easier on the mind, because before i'd go full throttle and i'd build 3-4 pounds before the TM would kick in sometimes, so now it feels safer.

Jeph said:
So I've been working on my mpa quite a bit lately since i have long drives out to the middle of nowhere. I'll post a datalog tomorrow, but i am still running pretty rich up until about 6-7psi of boost. I've noticed i almost don't need my extra injector at all until 5500 rpms under full throttle, and thats about when i hit over 7 psi of boost. So there is a lot of headroom to work with :)
She pulls noticably harder now than before with some fuel trimmed out. I will keep it a little rich just because its getting colder here. But come spring I will be getting a boost controller and turning up the boost. Looking to run 15 pounds daily.
OH and another thing. The MPI software I had was acting funny, so i used the software BT posted and the software key he has, and it unlocked a whole set of features that i didn't have before. I was able to turn my throttle position switch on, so now when i go full throttle my A/F instantly drops which is easier on the mind, because before i'd go full throttle and i'd build 3-4 pounds before the TM would kick in sometimes, so now it feels safer.

Yeah, you probably don't need the xtra injectors at that level. Beau said you were going to run at least 12, so you would need them for that. The throttle switch point is okay to use, but I tried all the settings and found the amp to be the best. There were times that I did not want to go full rich at WOT because there was not enough boost to worry about it. Go ahead and trim as much fuel as you need to get er running right man!!!

Me and Richard have been working on tuning my MPI and we are slowly getting there but my car for some reason runs way to rich. We have the fule cal. set at -3 and it seems like its still a little too rich. the car excelerates kind of slugishly and when it gets to 4k rpms it hits some kind of wicked hesitation if i am lucky enough to punch through it then it pulls like a mofo and takes off but thats only if the psi doesnt sky rocket through the roof which it will do some time and I have the boost controller turned off so it should be running at like 8 psi. Sometimes if im just driving normaly down the road it feels like its pulling fuel every now and then but you can only sightly feel it and thats around 2-3k rpms. I am giving my car to richard this weekend and hes supposed to tune it with tim on the phone but I just hope I can get this issue worked out cause its driving me crazy. the car hasnt run right since I put the mpi on and im at my witts end on what to do. I dont want to take it off but If we cant figure out what is going on with my car and the MPI I might just have to take it off and sell it which I really dont want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back