Intercooler And Piping

:
2003 Spicy Orange MSP
Does anybody know of anyone that is making an intercooler and intercooler piping for the mazdaspeed yet.. i seen some guys with non-turbo mp3s that have put turbo kits on them does anyone know what they are usuing any where they got it...

The MSP has an intercooler, it is just off of the euro diesel Protege.

As for the intercoolers, it depends on the kit the person is running. FM has one intercooler and Terry carries a different kind. It depends on what you want.

However, something to think about, if you change the intercooler, you will have to run different piping.

So far no one has a larger intercooler and piping set up for the Mazdaspeed Protege...

i am aware that my car already has an intercooler and i know where it came from and i know it and the crappy plastic factory intercooler piping SUCK... i am asking if anybody has a ready to bolt on kit that will work on the msp

boosted protege said:
i am aware that my car already has an intercooler and i know where it came from and i know it and the crappy plastic factory intercooler piping SUCK... i am asking if anybody has a ready to bolt on kit that will work on the msp

No...

i just want it to be known that i know what is on my car.. and i know what i am looking for Jotech out of dallas wanted to charge me $1700 for a turbo XS intercooler, custom piping, greddy blow off valve and boost controller... i can get the boost controller and blow off valve for $500 i was hoping on spending less than $750 for FMIC and piping

Ok, since I answered the question and he came back all angry, now I'm going to be a smart ass...

If you know what you have, then you know you have an FMIC (front mount intercooler)...What you want is a larger intercooler in hopes of cooling the intake charge more?

But since you aren't going to run more than 10 psi, you won't need that big of an intercooler. You'll see more cost effective gains by changing the exhaust and getting a more free flowing intake...

This phrase, "Does anybody know of anyone that is making an intercooler and intercooler piping for the mazdaspeed yet..."
...Is what lead to me to believe that maybe you weren't sure of what was in your car to begin with. Calm down buddy.

this is all very cute....

I would hang on for a month or 2 and wait to see some mazdaspeed mods. I thought I heard somewhere that the 2k3.5 MSPs had metal piping instead of plastic in which case it would be readily available.

This is the kind of thing i would fully expect to see from mazdaspeed. It can be labeled a performance mod technically.....but for the most part makes the car pretty, and possibly more reliable than the platic piping, without working the engine any harder like the mods we REALLY WANT (boost controller) might.......

If you're going to run a front mount, you should use an APEXi core. Not only does it look good, but because of it's design it will still give you optimal flow. Then again, so most other intercoolers, but the APEXi unit looks unique.
intercooler.jpg

big_ben, stuttersC and others...

Thanks for clarifying and correcting a lot of the bulls*** flying around about "mod this" and "do this" to get more HP out of our MSP's. I am not afraid to admit I am a newbie to this stuff so like many others I have noted all the things I am "supposed" to do... bigger intercooler, new piping, bigger downpipe, wastegate, CAI's, boost controller, BOV, this guage and that guage. Then you get contradictory posts and opinions regarding the true affect some of these will have on HP and torque. oh and of course on the warrenty.

Also, people should not get so defensive when corrected or criticized. Some Sir Winston Churchill quotes from over 50 years ago are so relevant for todays Internet discussion boards. "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" and one for big_ben.... "If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use the pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time; a tremendous whack."

Sorry for rambling... so how do I get more speed from my speed without messing with the Turbo internals?

Andrew

Any mods I do, I imagine will be 'only' MAZDASPEED component mods except for the K&N Filter charger (not sure if one is available yet). I want to keep it very 'maintenance free', like my wife's ES. So; with that said, I will be waiting to see what MAZDASPEED has to offer......

Cheers!

:cool: :D :cool:

boosted protege said:
actually what i have is a side mount intercooler....what i want is a front mount intercooler

That's interesting has there are no holes in the side of the car to allow air to hit the intercooler.

Hmm, that means the intercooler is mounted next to the radiator IN THE FRONT OF THE CAR!! Hence it is a FMIC...

If it were on top of the motor, ala Subaru WRX, it would be a top mount. If it were in the trunk, it would not be front mounted neither...

gujustud--- the replacement intercooler piping you are making is it going to use the stock bov or put a flange for aftermarket bov????

where did he mount the blitz bov..did he use a different lower intercooler pipe...if so does he want to sell it...any pics??

big_ben said:

Dude, the people at Jotech are a bunch of ass holes. Trust me. **** Kenny Tran and all of them.

There is only one guy at Jotech I deal with, and that is Andrew. He's the one with the FM Turbo'd Miata (MX-5).

Back