Help with crank pulley removal

SedanMan

:
2002 LX
I'm trying to change my timing belt and I can't get the crank pulley off. I tried putting it in reverse and stepping on the brake while my friend tried to loosen the bolt but the pulley kept turning.(vehicle was jacked up at the time if that makes a difference) I just did a search and twilightprotege suggests to do that in his cam replacement HOW-to. Would using an impact wrench make a big difference over using a breaker bar?

Anyone have any ideas on how to get it off without fabricating myself a little tool like in the shop manual?

Thanks in advance for your help.

if you have an automatic transmission, there is a small hole in the bottom of the bellhousing where you can use a prybar/whatever to jam the flywheel into not moving

Engine%202.jpg

Aricjm15 said:
if you have an automatic transmission, there is a small hole in the bottom of the bellhousing where you can use a prybar/whatever to jam the flywheel into not moving

That's what I usually do. If no such opening exhists for a car with a manual trasmission, you can remove the starter and use that as an access point. And yes, a heavy duty impact wrench would help. For crank pullies, I've had better luck with breaker bars, since my impact is a bit weak.

Brian MP5T said:
Why the **** are you taking the crank pulley off?

To change the timing belt. What's your problem?

Thanks everyone else for your help. It ended up working when I put the car in fifth and used the brake. I actually broke my 1/2" to 3/8" reducer while using the breaker bar. I had to drive to my friend's house to get his 21mm half inch socket. It was on pretty tight. The pulley was very easy to remove afterwards though.

SedanMan said:
To change the timing belt. What's your problem?

Thanks everyone else for your help. It ended up working when I put the car in fifth and used the brake. I actually broke my 1/2" to 3/8" reducer while using the breaker bar. I had to drive to my friend's house to get his 21mm half inch socket. It was on pretty tight. The pulley was very easy to remove afterwards though.

Umm, Yeah, why I mentioned it is that it does not have to come off...

Reactions: GNO
Brian MP5T said:
Umm, Yeah, why I mentioned it is that it does not have to come off...

I really don't see how I could slip the timing belt off if the crank pulley is still there. It was hard enough to remove without it. The shop manual also states to remove it.

Brian MP5T said:
With the plastic off, it goes on directly...

Wait you can get the plastic off without removing the pulley? I need to get at the tensioner to adjust it (I'm stuck in the middle of a cam install) but don't have an impact wrench at college so I can't get the crank pulley off.

zverg said:
Wait you can get the plastic off without removing the pulley? I need to get at the tensioner to adjust it (I'm stuck in the middle of a cam install) but don't have an impact wrench at college so I can't get the crank pulley off.

The plastic is in two parts, Top and Bottom. The Passenger motor mount has to come off completely, the other three will hold the weight.

Brian MP5T said:
The plastic is in two parts, Top and Bottom. The Passenger motor mount has to come off completely, the other three will hold the weight.

Yeah, I have the top part of the plastic off already, and tried for a while to find a way to get the motor mount off with no luck (damn my craftsman 155-piece mechanics tool set having a 16mm deep socket and an 18 but no 17).

zverg said:
Yeah, I have the top part of the plastic off already, and tried for a while to find a way to get the motor mount off with no luck (damn my craftsman 155-piece mechanics tool set having a 16mm deep socket and an 18 but no 17).

You Must get it off to do the tensioner.

Have you thought of removing it completely..

New%205.jpg

wicked said:
you can't remove the belt with the lower plastic timming cover still on brian.

That is why I said he has to remove the mount and remove the cover. I personally have not had a cover on it for two years...

Brian MP5T said:
That is why I said he has to remove the mount and remove the cover. I personally have not had a cover on it for two years...

Oh, the mount is in the way of getting an allen wrench in there huh. Oh and damn you for posting that pic of your clean engine bay with polished valve cover. Maybe I'll just sit out on the deck and slowly rock back and forth with a crazed look in my eyes sanding my valve cover all weekend. Mine looks atrocious (I'll take a pic when I go back down into the garage to work on the car some more).

I think I'll see if any of my roommates are up for giving me a ride to Sears and I'll just pick up a 17mm half inch drive deep socket so I can blast that engine mount off. Things are almost looking up. :)

you can't remove the cover with the crank pulley still on,it has a hole at the bottom for the crankshaft.

Back