Here's the first batch of (day) pics of my install

LazerBlueP5

:
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe // 6spd
Maybe a little overkill with the whole JL thing? lol

system1.jpg

system2.jpg

:eek: (omg) :eek: Dude it looks awesome, I can't wait to see the night shots....btw, you were right about the sub basket ;) (thumb) .

Now my only "problem(s)" are:
1. When I turn the NF output up to really have it slam, sometimes the woofer sounds like it's bottoming out...which isn't good at all.
I'm hoping that a few days of moderate listening will break in the woofer so it'll be able to handle a higher NF out setting (non-fading out) from my Kenwood head-unit.
I guess first I should figure out exactly what the NF output does/ how it works.

2. In side the box, if you look thrugh one of the JL plexi windows the bottom of the box is nicked in several places. It looks like someone took a nail and lightly nicked the surface. Either that or a thin nail head is pushing up thru the bottom?! At first I thought it was wood chips/dust that settled after the woofer was mounted. After closer inspection I see that it's actually knicks. And it must have been done after it was painted because it's the raw wood color in the nicks.

I dunno I'm a worry-wart. I'll stop by sometime this week to address both concerns for my installer. About the nicks.....beings I paid over 1k for the false floor/box/amp-rack/plexi, neon setup I think I have a right to be a little picky about a nicked part of the box. expecially if it's specifically made to be visible thru plexi lit by neons.

Ok it's dark here now- let me run outside and snap some night shots of the neon! Brb with the pics. (5:35pm EST)

god damn!!!! how much was the whole set up and what do you got in it? what kinda amps, what speakers? pics of the deck?

looks fu_ken awesome man, im gonig with jls all around also, im waiting for the 450/4 amp to come out in march and im thinking either the new 13w6v2 or a 10,12, or 13w7, but i only want to go with a 500/1 sub amp so im prolly gonna go with the w6v2s.

Keola
Team Pro5

LazerBlueP5, I can't see the nicks in those pics :)D) but you have the right to have it checked out by the installers, after all you paid good money for that install, you're entitled to be picky about it.

The whole install minus my headunit (which was $450) ran $3900.
I have Boston Pro 6.5 separates powered by a JL 300/2----12" JL W6V2 powered by a JL 500/1. Then the labor for the false floor custom box, vinyl wraped and dyed to match interior. 4 guage wire, dynamat trunk plus doors...labor for amp/fuse/capacitor etc etc. It added up real quick! Hold tight I have night pics now, gonna clean them up in PS and post them.

hott...

s*** looks real good. I am going for a similar kinda thing except i am gonna be running three 12's across the back seat... i am gonna do it with yellow vinyl since my ride is yellow and guess what i am going with your favorite company...haha SONY. I dont know but in my 3000 GT god rest her soul... i was running a fiberglass enclosure with the older sony x-plod 12's and it sounded really awesome... so i am going to run another sony setup.. But on a serious note thats hot sh*t.

Oh Snap! That is a very nice looking set-up. Looks very good and well worth the money. Nice job.

Yeah originally I didn't want a flashy system. First they found they couldn't go the amp under seats route because they couldn't fit the relays to the 5 farad cap under there. So it had to be something in the trunk. The best design we could think of was a false floor set-up. I figured if I'm going the false-floor route I my as well do plexi to "show" the amps for a few extra $$$.
I had too much gear to maintain the versitility of my trunk. I put it in perspective and weighed both options. On one hand I don't wanna lose my spare and my ability to hauld large cargo. On the other hand I don't haul stuff that large to begin with and instead of the spare I can cary a can of Fix-a-flat and a membership to AAA. lol I figure at least a stereo is something I'll enjoy every single day. As with cargo capacity.....thats something I'll appreciate only once or twice a year when I DO need to haul something on the large side.

Oh yeah, and yes...it's only 1 12. But it's a pretty powerfull 12. It can handle 500watts rms. Hits pretty darn hard!

I have a feeling that is getting summited for the custom install competition this year!
Looks greeat, A hell of a long way from 2 amps under a seat!
Definitly the best install I have seen from a member yet.
I would personaly have liked to hide the Neon light but thats just my preference.

Give the sub some time to break in. Also get the installer to verify the noise, You should be able to diagnose it quick. Make sure your not using any distortion settings on the headunit, like its BAss or EQ settings. THe NF doesn't distort at all it should be cool right to the max if set right with the amps gain.
I think they need to tune a bit more.

Slug, maybe because it's inverted. However I agree it does look closer to a 15. Thank god it's not- I don't like 15's they are boomy but sloppy.
1stMP3, thats what I thought about the NF out. Thought it was something to do with signal strength. Maybe they have to turn the gain down a bit. Because if I turn the NF out to it's max (+15) it seems like it gets max volume before the Bostons can get loud enough to "compete" with the bass. I have all bass settings FLAT. The only setting I uped at all was Midrange. I found I get alot more sound out of my bostons with a +5 to midrange. As far as the whole Kenwood Q settings and Bass extend....I swear they do nothing! I have a pretty discerning ear and I couldn't tell any difference.
About the possibility of a wire comming in contact with the rear of the woofer....do you think that is what I could be hearing. How about the single "baap!" noise I hear from time to time on high volume levels? I'm gonna lay off of it a bit- I was so excited when I got it I almost forgot the break-in period. God, I hope I didn't do any damage. I've been playing it pretty darn loud showcasing it to all my friends.

About the install. Yeah I chose the right guy- honestly he's the only installer at my Tweeter that is talented. Like I said in an earlier post- the only thing I'm disappointed about are the apparent "gouges/nicks" on the inside surface bottom of the sub enclosure. It's nicked all the way down to the wood (the interior is painted). I'll have to swing by this week and see what he can do for me. See, I originally didn't want a flat wall'looking box like that but it was impossible to do a slant/wedge in the front because of the dimensional constraints of the trunks shape. The way he has it now all the seams fit so tight. (see attached pic)
About the neon- yeah, if you stand close to the bumper and look down at it, it's fine. Although if your a few feet back from the car you can see the neon, because of the angle.
So 1stMP3 you think it's worthy of a "custom install competition"?! Jeez, thanks man! Means alot to be get a compliment from "you" like that. It's like getting a compliment from Simon on American Idol. It just means that much more. lol Thanks. :) :)

system7.jpg

Back