PC-Based Audio/Entertainment System

dmention7

:
'03.5 Blue MSP #2543
I picked up my 5-door just over a month ago (the leather smell is gone... *sniff*), and already the need to make it my own has set in. I've had the idea in my head for a while that it would be pretty nifty--not to mention an interesting project--to replace the audio system with a PC-based setup. I mean, the glovebox compartment has plenty of room to house a small form-factor pc; with the audio components removed, a touch-screen LCD could be integrated into the center pillar. Seems to me that there's the potential for a very clean looking, and extremely versatile (CD/MP3/DVD, TV, GPS, internet, whatever the hell you want!) system. Not to mention the fact that you could use whatever media player you wanted, change audio profiles on the fly, get some cool lighting effects, control accessories, and so on.

My question to the forum is: Does anyone know, or have any experience with, such a setup? If anyone has any suggestions, tips, warnings, advice, ideas, etc, they would be massively appreciated!

There are a few issues/problems/kinks that I have thought of that need to be worked out:
-PCs typically take a good fraction of a minute to boot up... What if I want music NOW? And the converse,
-PCs must be shut down before power is cut... I don't want a 15 second delay between parking and being able to shut off the car.
-PC power supplies are designed to take 120VAC and distribute of 12VDC of stable, regulated power--I would need a way to take the 12V from the car's electrical system and stabilize it enough for a PC to use.
-Would a 7" touch-screen provide enough functionality to operate Windows and the desired applications, or would auxilliary controls be necessary?
-What about cooling issues? Taking an already-compact PC and confining it behind the dash is begging for overheating problems.
-Then there's the issue of getting everything to look nice... If I'm gonna spend that time and money, I don't want things looking hack. i've seen books and videos on fabricating fiberglass forms, but it sounds a bit daunting for a first-timer to fit a dash piece...

Anyways, there's probably lots more that I haven't thought of, so I'd love to hear what the rest of the forum has to say about this idea. Thanks in advance for your comments!

what moxnix said... they deffinatly have the answers... also do a search for carputer here in the forum for some other ideas... i have been wanting to do this myself, but something just keeps taking my money instead of doing that...good luck with the project and keep us updated...

dmention7 said:
-PCs typically take a good fraction of a minute to boot up... What if I want music NOW?
Tough.
-PCs must be shut down before power is cut... I don't want a 15 second delay between parking and being able to shut off the car.
Get an OPUS DC-DC 12V PSU
-PC power supplies are designed to take 120VAC and distribute of 12VDC of stable, regulated power--I would need a way to take the 12V from the car's electrical system and stabilize it enough for a PC to use.
Again, OPUS PSU
-Would a 7" touch-screen provide enough functionality to operate Windows and the desired applications, or would auxilliary controls be necessary?
Yes, its fine.
-What about cooling issues? Taking an already-compact PC and confining it behind the dash is begging for overheating problems.
Depends on the hardware.
-Then there's the issue of getting everything to look nice... If I'm gonna spend that time and money, I don't want things looking hack. i've seen books and videos on fabricating fiberglass forms, but it sounds a bit daunting for a first-timer to fit a dash piece...
You dont need to fiberglass a form. Glue the bezels in place and bondo the contours.
Anyways, there's probably lots more that I haven't thought of, so I'd love to hear what the rest of the forum has to say about this idea. Thanks in advance for your comments!

also
mp3car.com

PCs typically take a good fraction of a minute to boot up... What if I want music NOW?

Very fast Harddrive and lots of speedy RAM.

Hmm. Didn't quite realized this idea was as fleshed-out as it is. Maybe should have searched a bit more before posting. Anywho, thanks for the links!

Yea sorry if i sounded like a dick, but the scene is quite fleshed-out, yet still advancing quite well.

some great front-end software is at centrafuse.com

post pics when you got some stuff goin on

pimpprotege69 said:
PCs typically take a good fraction of a minute to boot up... What if I want music NOW?

Very fast Harddrive and lots of speedy RAM.

you could always buy a RAM drive... but thats some mega moulah

oh, and welcome to the wonderful world of carputers...

as for wanting music now, I use a laptop with docking station for my carputer, all I do is boot it before I leave the house, plug it in and play.. for when I get out of the car I can either just leave it on so it runs on its own dual batterys (like 10 hours without the screen being on like in the carputer, w00t!) or I can go into system standby or even hibernate if it will be long enough... you can even setup windows to decide this for you based on if the power is on, and the amount of time its sat idle

good luck with your decisions

Last edited:
If you want to get really crazy, you can write programs to do all sorts of things with a PLC (programmable logic controller). Aromat sells a very versatile very small and very inexpensive one for $199. I used it to automate some displays for a trade show. www.aromat.com

Latest posts

Back