Grinding when moving shifter to reverse while moving.

clicknext

:
2006 Tungsten Grey Mazda6 GT I4
If I try to move the shifter into the R position with the clutch pressed all the way down, and the car has any forward speed at all, there's a terrible grinding sound. Obviously the solution would be to not move the shifter until the car is completely stopped, but sometimes I forget by accident, and I'm greeted by the bad sound. I was just wondering whether this is normal, because I thought that with the clutch pressed all the way down, it shouldn't matter where I put the shifter since nothing is in contact?

normal. just stop the car. the reverse gear needs to be physically moved into place, unlike the forward gears which are always meshed.

Yea. I thought it wouldn't matter since the clutch was in, but I guess it does matter. Now I just stop. However, when your moving in reverse, you can still move it to first and gun it.

clicknext said:
If I try to move the shifter into the R position with the clutch pressed all the way down, and the car has any forward speed at all, there's a terrible grinding sound. Obviously the solution would be to not move the shifter until the car is completely stopped, but sometimes I forget by accident, and I'm greeted by the bad sound. I was just wondering whether this is normal, because I thought that with the clutch pressed all the way down, it shouldn't matter where I put the shifter since nothing is in contact?

The problem is that you are going to slow.
Try it at like, say, I don't know, about 70 mph (wow).
It should slip right in..... ( (attn) DO NOT ATTEMPT (attn) )

Pro5Monkey said:
The problem is that you are going to slow.
Try it at like, say, I don't know, about 70 mph (wow).
It should slip right in..... ( (attn) DO NOT ATTEMPT (attn) )
Already tried it. My car spun around and went backwards at 70 mph.

same here, but I can go into reverse without gridin if the car is going forward VERY slowly

clicknext said:
Have yall never driven any other stick shifts? Pretty much every manual transmission is exactly the same... you always should be completely stopped before shifting to reverse... nicer to your tranny.

Back