Review your LCD / DLP / Plasma TV here !!

CasopoliS

Contributor
:
05 Legacy GT, 06 Accord SE, Civic
The LCD, Plasma, and DLP TV's seem to be hot right now. Please write a short review on your TV (or a friend's) to help others!

#1 - Brand - model - type of technology
#2 - Price - place of purchase
#3 - Size - resolution
#4 - any specs you can - contrast ratio - response time
#5 - general viewing review - analog TV - digital TV - DVDs - computer input - satellite TV
#6 - link if possible

I would love to see some short review of pros and cons of your TV. Some televisions have a great menu and great remote, while others excel in clarity, sound, and darkness levels. Some connect to the computer easily while others do not have drivers yet and require PowerStrip to get the right output. Write anything you can think of.

Here is a great review on a economical 30" LCD tv.
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=2099

Also,
www.xpbargains.com always seems to find good deals. Like right now there is a 30" Philips LCD TV (referb.) for $799 w/free shipping from the Philips Outlet store. The reveiws were not good and even had not so great picture with DVD's, so I am passing (ends today anyway). Some people might have been too critical after seeing higher-end LCD tvs... but the general thought was... it looked like an $800 LCD TV.

I am leaning towards mounting a 30+" TV on the wall....

Anyway.... help me out!

1- Samsung - rear projector DLP
2- $3300 (20 months ago)
3- 43" 16x9
4- no idea
5- Analog sux, but depends a lot on the cable signal. you need a progressive scan DVD player to take avantage of the picture quality or you will get some rainbowing. Only gripe is the last generation doesn't have a built in HDTV tuner.
6- no link, because I don't know the model number, but I think https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) is it.

Love that it's so thin ~16", with out the high cost of LCD/plasma. Remote is ok, but I'm thinking about getting a Harmony 880. Only problemI have is I have one of those retro 'arcade' games that has Ms Pacman, PolePosition, and a couple of others in 1 controller, well sometimes it messes up the signal. I have to unplug it from the tv, and replug it.

I had my laptop plugged to it for awhile, but the resolution for it was crappy. I couldn't get it higher than 1024x768.

Color is fine, and the black levels are good.

Last edited:
I have heard good things about the DLP TV's.... but you cannot mount one on a wall and my space is limited.
Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• TV5.jpg
    TV5.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Optoma EZpro745 DLP HDready
$1199 TigerDirect
Currently 88" but gets a whole lot bigger 4:3 or 16:9

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td class="techspec" height="15" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">Resolution </td><td class="techvalue" align="left">XGA (1024 x 768)</td></tr><tr><td height="1">
pixel-clr.gif
</td><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#f5f5f5" height="1">
pixel-clr.gif
</td></tr><tr><td colspan="3">
pixel-clr.gif
</td></tr><tr><td width="26">
</td><td class="techspec" height="15" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">
gfx-blkbullet.jpg
Brightness
<input name="def195" id="def195" value="" type="hidden"></td><td class="techvalue" align="left">2300 ANSI Lumens</td></tr><tr><td height="1">
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
gfx-blkbullet.jpg
Contrast Ratio
<input name="def196" id="def196" value="" type="hidden"></td><td class="techvalue" align="left">2000:1</td></tr><tr><td height="1">
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
gfx-blkbullet.jpg
Aspect Ratio
<input name="def199" id="def199" value="" type="hidden"></td><td class="techvalue" align="left">4:3 Native/ 5:4 - 16:9 Compatible</td></tr><tr><td height="1">
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
gfx-blkbullet.jpg
Display Technology
<input name="def200" id="def200" value="" type="hidden"></td><td class="techvalue" align="left">DLP</td></tr><tr><td height="1">
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
gfx-blkbullet.jpg
Zoom
<input name="def334" id="def334" value="" type="hidden"></td><td class="techvalue" align="left">Manual focus
Manual Zoom
</td></tr><tr><td height="1">
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
pixel-clr.gif
gfx-blkbullet.jpg
Weight
<input name="def109" id="def109" value="" type="hidden"></td><td class="techvalue" align="left">5.3 lbs.</td></tr></tbody> </table>
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=25173&Sku=O66-1076

Wait it's not a TV does that count?

it was the last one on the store, as a matter of fact, it was the one in the showroom floor, just cleaned the screen and everything, new remote,and 2.5 less than a brand new in sealed box (cabpatch) (rofl)

Last edited:
solid_snake said:
52" Widescreen JVC HD-52Z575 HD-ILA suggested price $4.5k and paid $1.5k, the best TV i've owned, lol
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL026746&pathId=114&page=1
from JVC's website:

What is the "Perfect Experience"? The most amazing picture imaginable is what you will see with JVC's NEW line of HD-ILA Rear Projection Televisions. This 52" Widescreen model is built on JVC's 3-Chip DILA Technology, a revolutionary Micro-display technology that will give you the most incredible picture imaginable. Packed with supporting features like 4-Point Color Management, Dynamic Gamma Correction Circuitry, an HDMI/HDCP Digital Input, 2 HD Component Inputs and JVC's D.I.S.T 720p (Digital Image Scaling Technology), JVC delivers the most technologically advanced and superior Micro-display televisions available today.

* 3-Chip D-ILA System (1280x720)
* D.I.S.T. 720p(Digital Image Scaling Technology)
* Flicker Free High Resolution Picture
* Digital 4 Point Color Management
* Widescreen Aspect Ratio

* 3-Chip D-ILA System (1280x720)
* D.I.S.T. 720p(Digital Image Scaling Technology)
* Flicker Free High Resolution Picture
* Digital 4 Point Color Management
* Widescreen Aspect Ratio
* HD Range DILA Driver
* 75 MHz Digital Super Detail
* Natural Cinema (3-2 Pulldown)
* Natural Progressive Line Doubling
* Panorama, Cinema, Full and Regular Aspect Modes
* HD EZ Fill (Cinema Zoom and HD Panorama)
* Video Noise Reduction
* 5 Video Status Modes - Theater/Dynamic/Game/Standard/TheaterPro D6500K
* Color Temperature High/Low
* Digital Noise Clear Circuitry
* High Contrast Icon Based On Screen Display
* 3D Y/C Comb Filter
* Single Tuner PIP with Split, Index and Freeze
* HDMI/HDCP Digital Input
* Smart Input
* 2 HD Component Video Inputs
* 3 S-Video Inputs (1 Front, 3 Rear
* 4 AV Inputs (1 Front, 3 Rear)
* RF Input
* Front Firing Speakers
* Center Channel Input
* MTS Stereo
* BBE High Definition Audio
* Advanced Hyper Surround Sound
* Swichable Fixed/Variable Audio Output
* Interactive Plug-in Menu
* XDS ID Display
* XDS Auto Clock Set
* World Clock
* Multi-function Timer
* Sleep Timer
* Input Naming
* Black Level Expansion
* Front Panel Lock
* V-Chip
* Energy Star Compliant
* EL Based (Electro Luminescence) All Button Illuminated Universal Remote Control
* Hyper Scan High Speed Channel Changer
* Return +
* 49 7/8"
* 36"
* 16 1/4"
* Weight: 84 lbs.
* 1 Year Parts, 1 Year Labor

Attachments

• TVside.jpg
    TVside.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
-hitachi director's series rear projection lcd
-$4100 - superco electronics - cerritos, ca
-60" - 16x9
-dunno
-analog tv is ok, hd was good (i say was because adelphia removed the hd channels for some reason), dont have digital tv, computer input is good using the component inputs (although getting the resolution to stay the same every time u start up is tricky), dvds look awesome even with just an s-video hookup (although component is still better), and my xbox games look pretty awesome on there as well...

the remote is interesting though...its like a scroll wheel on a mouse instead of buttons for the channel and volume controls...very helpful if u have a bunch of channels u want to get through fast...no faults from me besides its inability to run perfectly with my htpc, but since thats still a work in progress, its expected...

http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/lcd/lcd/60VX915.shtml

du42py10h_m.jpg

#1 - Brand -LG 42" HDTV plasma
model - DU-42PY10X-H

#2 - Price - $3000

#3 - Size - 1024 x 768p Resolution

#4 - specs - ATSC/NTSC/QAM Clear Tuners
CableCARD
5000:1 Contrast Ratio
1000 cd/m Brightness
PIP/POP/Double Window
HDMI with HDCP Input
PC Input
IEEE-1394
RS-232C
60,000 hour life (crosses fingers)

#5 - general viewing review - analog TV, couple HD channels, most importantly it's FOOTBALL SEASON (need to watch my Miami Hurricanes and Miami Dolphins)

#6 - link - http://us.lge.com/Product/proddetail.do?actCategory=tv&archivedYn=&actType=search&categoryId=0000000101&prodId=1000000397&parentId=&parent2levelId=&category_level=2&totalItem=20&currentPage=2&perPage=10

This is my first, but not last flat panel TV. The LG has a great picture compared to a lot of ther TV's a was looking at. I could have gotten a 50" plasma cheaper than I bought this 42", but it was all about the picture quality.

LG has also provided the Gemstar / TV Guide electronic program guide (EPG) service, which (in theory) will provide detailed program listings for all available cable and off-air TV channels. However, you will have to make sure you have chosen the correct cable program lineup in order for this feature to work.

However, this tv runs hot. Something apparent to all plasmas.

thread about it: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118318

redwagon02 said:
However, this tv runs hot. Something apparent to all plasmas.

So I should not put something like this above my gas fireplace.... damn.

above your fireplace could be too high anyway.. will you be sitting/laying on a couch? test it out first.. sit on your couch and stare above your fireplace for a half hour and make sure it's comfortable. typically, you want the center of your screen 4 feet from the floor. it might sound low, but it's very comfortable. remember if you're watching movies how long you'll be staring at it.

Latest posts

Back