Should I buy this Protege5?

worker_robot

:
2003.5 Midnight Blue Protege5
hey thanks for the replies so far -

yeah, the lack of ABS is definitely something that worries me. i guess the reason i'm thinking it's a good deal is because in all the searching i've done (online only, thus far) this is the only private seller with such low mileage in the vicinity (boston metro area).

and yeah, he admitted he's not in any hurry to sell it...

Last edited:
man if he dont drop the 500 bucks then he isnt in any hury to sell, and prolly dont need the money.........IMO nice price for the milage

u can find a better price for about the same milage. dont buy it he wants too much.

worker_robot said:
2002 MAZDA PROTEGE5, 20,568 mi, air bag, ac, ps, cc, tilt, p/windows, am/fm, pdl, p/mirrors, Exc. condition! TITLE IN HAND FOR EASY SALE!Make an Offer!, $11,995,

Driver Air Bag; Air Conditioning; Alloy Wheels; AM/FM Radio; Cruise Control; Compact Disc Player; Passenger Air Bag; Rear Window Defroster; Power Door Locks; Power Mirrors; Power Windows; Power Steering; Tilt Wheel;

I figured this is a pretty rare find - a 2002 with such low miles - but my only problem is that it's auto! I really wanted a stick. Anyway, if I can get him down under $11,000 - do you guys think this is a solid deal?

The items listed are all standard, just so you know. The optional moonroof and ABS system are not there. Lack of ABS alone would kill the deal for me. I just won't get a car without it anymore.

Being an auto would kill it too, but that's a personal pref rather than a universal requirement like ABS (IMO).

Your area really dictates the fair price. In L.A., that is not the greatest deal. I got an 03.5 stick w/ABS and 21k mi for $9500. Admittedly a steal. Original deal was $10.5k with extended warranty, later dropped to $9500 for lack of warranty. Auto adds a bit to the price I guess. Just not the good deal I'd be looking for in L.A.

Doug

yeah, the lack of ABS is definitely something that worries me. i guess the reason i'm thinking it's a good deal is because in all the searching i've done (online only, thus far) this is the only private seller with such low mileage in the vicinity (boston metro area).

I have a 2002 P5 w/ 20k miles on it also. I would want much more for it than what he's asking, but I also have the sunroof, ABS, and side airbags.

I wouldn't worry too much about the ABS, but then again, this is the 1st car I've owned with ABS, so that's subjective.

And mine is an automatic too... and I wish it were a 5 speed. But it's hard to complain as I got mine for free w/ only 18K on it!

Sounds like a nice car to me... join us! Join the dark side, young Luke...

worker_robot said:

Don't get auto if you really want stick. You'll hate yourself later.

I'm a big fan of ABS. It's saved my ass a few times. Well, at least in my old car.

If you are confident in the way you can modulate the brakes, then you might be comfortable without ABS.

Slap on a set of good brake pads and you're set to go.

Up here in Canada, ABS is standard, yet I choose to disable it. I've been driving so long without ABS that I'm confident in my braking ability.

Plus in the winter time ABS on the P5 is really bad even with my snowtires.
It's all my personal opinion.

Went with dad to help him buy it new. Now, 3 years later, he hates the stiff ride, and bought a Camry. Gave me the car. Wish he had bought a yellow 5-speed! Oh well, like I said, tough to complain...

Kinda nice to have a clear title on a relatively new car with only 21K on the odometer!

There'll always be somebody who "got a bettter deal" - if you go on what other people paid for theirs, you'd never get one. Look at it on its merits - low mileage, suposedly good condition (garaged?)
Autos generally are worth more than manuals. Is it the"manutronic"? But yeah - if you want a stick, get a stick!
Lack of Abs/sunroof/side bags etc aren't that much of an issue IMO
$12k is a little high private sale, though - I'd be looking to get it down to $11k or less.

Don't think the auto stick was available until 2002.5 or 2003...
falsedawn said:
Autos generally are worth more than manuals. Is it the"manutronic"? But yeah - if you want a stick, get a stick.

Nope.. I've got an '02 original... with a boring 'ole automatic.

falsedawn said:
I thought it was a 2002 P5? (uhm)

Attachments

• P501.jpg
    P501.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 86
Her's the original sticker and promotional info...

Attachments

• Sticker01.jpg
    Sticker01.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 91
  • sticker02.jpg
    sticker02.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 100
  • promo01.jpg
    promo01.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 102
thanks for all your thoughts guys...this is great and exactly what i wanted.

the car i drove had the 4-speed auto-manu-tronic thingie - but now i've started to fret about the ABS thing! so ABS wasn't standard on the 2002 MP5s?

^^Nope. But you won't miss ABS as long as you brake sensibly. The only negative is ABS would probably bring your car insurance down.

ABS wasn't standard on any of the P5s, it came w/ the safety package which included side airbags. I don't have ABS and it doesn't bother me, but I've also never had it on any of my previous cars. At the time that I bought it, I wanted Laser Blue, moonroof and manual, I didn't need anything else and almost 2 years later, I'm still very happy w/ the car.

Back