Mazda5 Owner's Quiz

1. Which model / color / transmission / options / etc. did you get?
GT / Indigo Blue Mica / 5MT / A-C

2. Whereabouts are you located?
Ottawa, ON

3. Is this your first Mazda?
Yep, though my sister has had a Proteg5, Mazda6i, and traded back to another Proteg5. It was her P5 that first caught my attention -- Zoom Zoom and all that.

4. What other vehicles were you considering, and what would you have bought if the Mazda5 didn't exist?
Mazda6 wagon; Honda Accord; Honda Civic; Toyota Camry; Toyota Corolla
Hmm. Interesting. We weren't considering the Matrix/Vibe. Hadn't thought of that before.

5. What were the main three reasons why you chose the Mazda5?
Size; Price/Features; Utility

6. If you could change three things about the Mazda5 and/or the options avaliable for it, what would they be?
Traction control!!; GET RID OF SWAY BAR BUSHING NOISE **GRAAUUNCH** ! More knee room (all rows); Auto locking doors; Bigger sunroof;

7. Do you plan to make any modifications?
"BIGGER" sounding horns; winter tires & rims (done); Window tint; Parking aid of some kind.

8. Have you seen any other Mazda5s on the road yet?
One grey GS.

9. What kind of reactions have you received from others on your new Mazda5?
Lots of curious eyes. Shock of seeing a 3rd row tucked in there.

10. So, is the Mazda5 a MAV, a minivan, a space wagon, a microvan, crossover, toaster oven or what?
Son (age 3): Car
Daughter (age 3): Van
Mom: Car
Dad: space wagon, whatever. Just right!

11. What question did I forget to ask?.

Sport / Platinum Silver / 5spd / no options or xtras

Salt Lake City, Utah

Yes... I mean NO. Duh, my 1st vehicle was a 1984 Mazda B2000 Sundowner. How could I have forgoten that? I hammered that truck. Then sold it with 1??,000 miles before the tranny went out. Ahh the memories... Driving through the desert 100+ degrees, plastic seats, no AC, and water fights in the cab.

4. What other vehicles were you considering, and what would you have bought if the Mazda5 didn't exist?
CRV, Forester, Rav4, Matrix/Vibe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Ford Focus wagon, Prius... if not the 5, probably would have bought a used CRV or Forester

Big inside, small outside! Great price! Nice to drive - zoom zoom.

6. If you could change three things about the Mazda5 and/or the options avaliable for it, what would they be?
Stability control. 6 +1 seating for N America (there must be a good way to mount the seatbelt for a 3rd seat in the 2nd row). Better gas mileage.

Tint (done); receiver hitch for a rear rack (done); Auxmod jack for MP3 and DVD (done); and I may also add all weather mats, seat covers, splash gaurds, and rear bumper scratch guard thingy.

A total of 4, one was 196 ft below sea level (at Death Valley on Xmas.)

From I love it, to that car isn't you.

10. So, is the Mazda5 a MAV, a minivan, a space wagon, a microvan, crossover, toaster oven or what?
I like microvan.

11. What question did I forget to ask?
What is your Mazda5 replacing? 1991 3/4ton GMC 4x4 truck w/ 350 V8 and imediately before that a Suzuki Sidekick... (GMC-too big, Sidekick-too small, 5-just right)

Last edited:
Mazda5 GT / Red / Man / A/C

Montral, Qubec Canada (canada)

Yes

4. What other vehicles were you considering,
Subaru Legacy, VW Passat
and what would you have bought if the Mazda5 didn't exist?
None

Format, driving, Mazda!

1) Euro style roof rack.
2) Other interior color.
3) Ajustable height like VW Touareg.

Nope.

Yes, a couple.

Cleaver package

In Europe it is called "Monospace"

Last edited:

touring/red/4speed automanual/whatever stuff was in it

Coastal Georgia, USA

YES!

Honda CRV, Toyota RAV-4 or Matrix, Saturn VUE (hybrid version coming out any minute now)

looks, performance, space, gas milage, extra seating, just struck me better than the others, will fit in the same space in my garage as my old sedan without my having to move stuff around :D Didn't really want a big SUV, but needed more seats.

Actually make the options available maybe? Like the roof rack and the cargo cover which my dealership tells me here isn't even in the computer for them to order yet. And there is absolutely no excuse for not putting an AUX input on a car stereo now days!

I'd also want a 5 speed automatic, let the rear gate window open, give me a tie down point on the rear hatch so that when carrying lumber i can tie the thing down without wrapping it in a strap... Give me video input access to that nav screen so that I can install an MP3 computer in that cavernous glove compartment. (I know, too many problems with people watching DVD's on the highway) whats with black as my only choice for inside color? It's HOT here in the summer and that shows the dirt really bad) Is that more than 3? Why limit ourselves? How about more arm rests? Why hasn't the passenger seat got one? Just 2 or 3 more inches in that tray above the spare tire would make that a much more useful compartment. If you're going to lock out the edges of the roof due to the air bags how about a wire channel that is easy to access and safe for a non-mazda tech to run wires through to get to the center of the roof for mounting extra lights or displays.

OH yes :) Already took the dash apart and removed the radio to install my ipod adaptor (in my case I just moved the audiovox inline FM transmitter from my old car to the 5, even though it's a transmitter it connects inline with the antenna blocking out any other stations when it's on and the sound quality is an order of magnitude better than an over the air thing) And I plan to do a lot more given time and energy which is in short supply.

Nope, not a single one.

I've only had it 2 days.. but people are always looking at it from the cars in the nearby lanes.

It's the illegitimate child of the station wagon my dad would never buy and the full sized van with a strobe light and shag carpeting that I always dreamed of cruising for ladies in when I was in high school.

Why is that puke green status bar in the middle of my dash so ugly, busy and poorly thought out? (does anybody know if I can mod that for a better color?)

Touring/Platinum Silver/Auto/Nav, Wheel locks

Eastern Connecticut

Yes, but 2 of my kids have had 1 each, a 3rd is on her 2nd. We also bought an 05 MZ3 the next day (EDIT: since traded said MZ3 for MSP6).

Replacing a 97 Astro, we considered a Malibu Maxx. Looked at all the current offerings. Ruled out SUV's for gas mileage concerns. Glad we found the 5, it's a much better vehicle for us.

1. We were stunned by its design, great looks! 2. Build quality is evident right away. Confidence in Mazda qualtiy continues on. Performance and handling is as good as a very capable compact, rather than a "minivan", very good gas mileage without sacrificing power. 3. Great price.

1. ARMRESTS!! That one thing would make passengers much more comfortable. 2. Heated mirrors & seats. 3. DVD in rear area.

Only a front end mask.

Yes, one.

Very positive, people like it.

I'd have to say it's a minivan. Very sporty and well styled, but it falls right into that category. Too big to be a micro. Nothing like an SUV, so there's no crossover about it. What the hell's a spacewagon, MAV?

none.

Last edited:
3+5 said:

I'd have to say it's a minivan. Very sporty and well styled, but it falls right into that category. Too big to be a micro. Nothing like an SUV, so there's no crossover about it. What the hell's a spacewagon, MAV?

MAV is Mazda's neologism for the Mazda 5, and stands for "Multi Activity Vehicle". Probably sounds a bit silly, but at one time I wondered "what the hell's a SUV?" when I first heard that term, and of course that's a common term now.

"Space Wagon" is a European term for this type of vehicle, if I recall correctly, where there's a few other vehicles that fall into this space. I believe Mazda can't use that term here due to Mitsubishi having had a vehicle by that name at one time. Do a Google search for the following...

"space wagon" "mazda 5" -mitsubishi

... and you'll see a number of articles referring to the Mazda 5 as a space wagon.

Here's a quote from the top linked article on that search:
http://www.automobilemag.com/2006_new_cars/0411_mazda5/

The 5 is what Europeans call a "space wagon," an automotive trend which hasn't yet made it to the U.S. Space wagons are based on cars, but they're taller to provide a far more spacious interior.

Technically, the Mazda 5 is just classified as a "wagon," at least, that's what my paperwork here in California calls it.

Personally, I hate to call the 5 a minivan, for a number of reasons. When I bought my 5, my wife already had a Toyota Sienna, and I didn't want to drive that because it felt like a tank, but I needed the ability to carry two young boys and a new baby girl. I looked at cars liked the Toyota Matrix, PT Cruiser and the Scion xB before deciding on the 5 and I wasn't even considering another minivan. Additionally, I wanted a manual transmission, which is pretty much unheard of these days in the minivan world.

That said, if you want to call it a minivan, c'est la vie. :) I'll try not to take offense. :)

The reason I asked the question on what people here called it was to see what people's perceptions are, and also, to try to figure out how the Mazda 5 compares in the overall auto world. It sort of ties in to the "what other vehicles were you considering" question. Note you mention looking at the Malibu Maxx, but no minivans were listed. I personally think that people looking for a minivan would not like the Mazda 5 as they would consider it too small. And I also think people looking at wagons and SUVs are probably a better "fit," but some of those people might not even bother considering the 5 if all they see is sliding doors and think it's a minivan.

As a final note to this long answer, I was one of those who had to return my Mazda 5 during the recall that took place last year. During the time I was without my vehicle, Mazda provided me with a Mazda 3 for a couple weeks, and then a MPV. I found the handling of the Mazda 3 to be much closer to the Mazda 5, while the MPV felt too awkward, although it wasn't quite the tank the Sienna is. :)

Whatever people call it, I'm happy to have my Mazda 5. And welcome, I'm glad to see more people showing up here!

(With the new baby, I've been in mostly lurking mode around here, but I'm still reading the forums and having fun zoom zooming around.)

3+5 said:

Is the ONLY thing that defines this CAR as a minivan it's sliding rear doors?!!? change the configuration of the doors to standard hinge format and then give it a classification.......station wagon, i think. sliding doors does not make a minivan. poor handling, uninspired design, massive hauling capacity, lower gas milage and an AUTOMATIC only transmission make a minivan. I believe the Mazda5 is none of the above.

theweev said:
Is the ONLY thing that defines this CAR as a minivan it's sliding rear doors?!!? change the configuration of the doors to standard hinge format and then give it a classification.......station wagon, i think. sliding doors does not make a minivan. poor handling, uninspired design, massive hauling capacity, lower gas milage and an AUTOMATIC only transmission make a minivan. I believe the Mazda5 is none of the above.

I think Mazda officially classified the Mz5 as a station wagon with Transport Canada. I a believe its the same in the States, hence the absence of tinted window availability. Compare with Dodge Magnum, officially classified as a Utility Vehicle (ne truck) and its nearly blacked-out B, C, and D glass. (poke)

2006 5 Sport / Platinum Silver / MT

Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin

YES! And loving it.

05 Mazda3 Hatch / 06 Mazda6 / 06 Honda civic. If the Mazda5 didn't exist I would have bought the Mazda3 Hatch.

When I first say it it was the style of the outside. You can say its half sports car and half mini-van. Plus the inside with the third row. When you have 2 kids and the like to fight with each other. Third row is a plus.

#1 - They all should come with the Fog Lights since they put the molding there already.
#2 - The back hatch window should be able to open. or make it an option.
#3 - They should have given it a little more horsepower.

Already have tinted the windows "SUNBUSTERS" in Milwaukee. Would like to lower it, add an intake with a K&N, Size 18 or 19" rims and a exhaust.

I have only seen 1 in my area.

Some people dont like the body. But I just tell them your body doesnt look any better. Ha Ha Alot of them do like it. They all love the inside.

Well the first half is a car and the back half a mini-van. So a Crossover.

None. Good Job! ZOOM ZOOM BABY!!

Kaian said:
In an effort to learn more about new Mazda5 owners, I created a little quiz. Please answer only if you have bought a Mazda5:

Mazda5 Sport/Phantom Blue/5 spd man/tinted windows
Sunny SoCal - Long Beach, California
I was going to say "yes", but then I remembered we had a Ford Probe for a couple years, which was really a Mazda under the Ford badge
Mazda 6 sport wagon with 5 spd, or a 4 door Chevy Colorado with 4cyl/5spd. Also looked at Volvo V70, and VW Jetta and Passat Wagons, but these euro's were hard to find in the US with a 5spd.
1) 5 speed manual 2) 3rd row seating 3) Price... and I'll throw in a 4th reason... a fuel efficent 4 cyl engine.
1) Better sun visors (with extension and a small flip down when the visor is pulled to the side). 2) Put in the "missing" Arm rests for the door side of the middle row seats and front passenger seat. 3) Bigger storage bin in front console
Not really. US comes stock with the 17" wheels, which is cool. The wife likes the tinted windows which were already added by the dealer. With two girls ages 5 and 2, however, my days of getting "toys" for the car are pretty well over for a long while...
Yes... but not many. Seen maybe 6 over the last 4 months
All generally positive. Have gotten praises for the small but roomy size, the availability of a 5 spd, and the cool styling. We like having cars that are "out of the ordinary", and the 5 fits that segment well.
We call it our "new car". I'm loath to call it a "minivan"... I think Space Wagon is better, but with those sliding doors everyone else seems to think of it as a minivan. I also have to admit, when I first saw pictures of the 5 a year ago, I thought it was the replacement for the MPV, but I have since learned my lesson. The 5 is everything a minivan is not... small, fuel efficient, fun to drive, with that zoom-zoom 5 spd stick!
Age (43)/status (married)/Kids (2)
Age (43)/status (married)/Kids (2)

Last edited:
Kaian said:
In an effort to learn more about new Mazda5 owners, I created a little quiz. Please answer only if you have bought a Mazda5:

A: GT / Plat silver / MTX/ ACC

btw colour is spelled with a U ;-)

A: Ajax Ontario Canada

A: Yes

Mazda 6 Wagon
Chevy HHR
Toyota Matrix
Honda Fit
Dodge Caliber

Manual tranny
3 rows of seating
sporty driving style/utility

A:
1) Rear spoiler (get rid of)
2) a real stereo system with MP3 playback
3) Diesel of same HP as 2.3 gas engine

1) 2 8" subs in rear storage cubbies
2) good quality aftermarket speakers
3) sharkfin antenna
4) tints (done)

approx 10 in the last month

Went to Ikea tonight and a guy driving an Avalanche stopped and looked for along time and then walked away (I heard him say "that's cool!"

Microvan!

Would I buy it again? definitely

Kaian said:

Sport/Carbon Grey/5-speed/dealer tint, fogs

Central NJ

Yes

No others considered. We would have kept our '92 Accord wagon (also 5-speed)

1) Just-right sizing 2) 5-speed 3) price

1) Diesel engine from europe; 2) heated seats; 3) Bluetooth

tbd

Rarely

Lots of positive reactions.

really small van

laden or unladen?

Cheers!

Kaian said:

Touring/Carbon Gray/Manual

DFW, Texas

Yes

Mazda 6 wagon, Mazda 3 wagon, Honda Fit, Toyota Matrix

Praticality (gas mileage, cargo, utilitarian), styling

Diesel option, allow back glass to open, passenger arm rest, turbo kit

I tinted windows, maybe some 18" wheels

About 6 in the last 2 months. They seem to be rare around here.

Everyone that has seen it (neighbors) thinks it is a cool car. I've been pointed at in parking lots, and have one friend that is considering an auto 5 for his wife.

I consider it a space wagon, but I don't care what they call it, as long as they dont RECALL it.

Family demographics. I'm 38, married with a 10 yoa and a 7 yoa. Both of the kids like it.

Also, ask what kind of car did it replace?

Mine replaced a 2003 Mustang GT with a Kenne Bell 9# intercooled supercharger making 470 HP and getting 17-23 mpg. When gas hit $3.19/gal I decided that it was time to let the toy go and get somthing more suited to hauling kids and hockey gear.

Matt

GT / Black / Auto / AC package

Richmond, BC, Canada

Yes.

A4 Wagon (I really like that car, just can't afford), Civic Si (Too small for us), Fit, Matrix, ML320 (2nd hand).

6 seats, tons of room, good value, all the gadgets.

2.3 Turbo, 4WD, HID

HIDs (done), Tints (done), CX7 antenna, CAI, 18" gun metal wheels and tires, front lips and rear spoiler.

Yeap

Happy happy joy joy!

Space wagon.

A/S/L?

Mazda5 GT / Brilliant Black / Auto /AC

Richmond, BC, Canada

No. Owned a third hand 323

RAV4, Honda Fit, CR-V

Practicality/Size, price, safety

5 or 6 speed auto option, Passenger arm rest, Cubby under the shifter column

Yes. TB Ground wire (done), tints (done), shark fin antenna, CAI

Yes.

(shocked)

MAV

11. What question did I forget to ask?[/QUOTE]

Kaian said:

1. I bought a 2006 Mazda 5 Touring in Stellar Greensilver Metallic, automatic transmission...Options include all touring ad-ons...

2. Located in Northern California (East Bay Area) in Pittsburg...

3. This is my first of hopefully many Mazda's to come :D

4. I started out looking into a Mazda 3...When I saw an advertisement in a magazine for the 5 I fell in love with it...If the Mazda 5 didn't exist, I would have been in a Mazda 3 S Limited...

5. External/Internal appearance...I love the look of it...It's practical and sporty at the same time...The rear sliding doors also factored into it for me, I love the ease of loading and unloading through them...Being a fan of the Mazda 3 already, I was also pleased to know that the 5 used the same platform that has been tried and true over the course of the past two or three years...

6. Three things I would change would be an optional V6 for starters...Not that the 5 can't hold its own as it is, but a V6 would be super nice to have...I would also change the optional side skirt sills that come with the Touring models so that they could accomidate mud gaurds...Lastly, I would change the stock head unit that comes standard with the Touring...A 6 disc changer is worthless unless it can play mp3 and wma discs...We need a factory mp3 head unit in the 07' and beyond models...

7. Future mods include a paint matched shark fin antenna, HID headlight and foglight kit, Euro roof rails, black leather interior, and in-channel window visors...Mods already done include rear bumber step plate, moonroof wind deflector, factory cassette player (gotta get my mp3 on somehow and it kept the stock look on the stereo), 30% tint all around, and sliding rear cargo cover...

8. Only three actually...A Cardinal Red Mica in Beverly Hills, a Carbon Grey in Sacramento, and a Silver in Concord California :D

9. So far all of the reactions have been great...Everyone seems to really love it...

10. It's either a micro-minivan or 5 door hatchback...It has about the same look and space of the Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe, Mazda MPV, Toyota Sienna, etc....You can decide really, I just call it my car :D

11. Nothing I can think of, nice quiz :D

Kaian said:

GT Cardinal Red / Automatic

Holland Landing, ON, Canada (North of Toronto)

Yes

Honda CRV (already have one), Mazda MPV, Honda Fit

Size (can fit in my garage without taking over), price, seats 6

Passenger arm rest (I keep buying cars without one). AUX input in stereo, AWD.

Tinted the windows, bug deflector or poly stone shield (haven't decided yet)

Suprisingly have seen about 8 on the road in the month I have had the car. All silver/gray or White.

No strangers have asked about it but friends and family like it.

Microvan sounds good although the MiniVans today are not very mini as far as I am concerned.

Family composition? Wife, two kids (3 and 5 yrs) and one Dalmation (which has turned the black seats into shag carpet)

Mine details above. Loving it so far.

Back