Alignment and shaky steering wheel issues

GrayZoom

:
Mazda 3 Tit Gray 5 speed
So, I went in to get an alignment today from a little independent shop and to see if that would fix a shake in the steering wheel when going 60mph or more. They get everything back in spec for the alignment, but they told me that I need to rotate my tires (just done) and that my stock suspension (shocks) are causing the steering wheel to shake at higher speeds. They also told me Mazda wouldn't cover it with the factory warranty. :rolleyes: I didn't believe that, but was curious if you have ever heard a shop say that the steering wheels shakes because of the stock or any suspension. The car has 18k miles on it. I could believe it if they said my tires needed to be balanced, but the suspension???? (confused) Doesn't make sense to me. What do you guys think?

I had a steering wheel vibration, but it was because my old stock struts were blown from being dropped. I wonder what the guy before you did with that car...

Could be a bad strut but more than likely just a wheel that needs balancing.

I dont dont know about the mazda3, but I had the same issue when I swapped my wheels.
The 3 might have hub-centric rings that need to be replaced..
The steering wheel was fine until I passed 50mph... then it shook like crazy..
the rings fixed the prob..

Can you tell if the vibrations are coming from one side of the car or not?

Moeed said:
I had a steering wheel vibration, but it was because my old stock struts were blown from being dropped. I wonder what the guy before you did with that car...

I wish I knew. From the sig I found of his, it didn't say anything about changing the suspension. He mainly did electronic stuff, but he could have forgotten to put some things on there.

goldwing2000 said:
Could be a bad strut but more than likely just a wheel that needs balancing.

I'm definitely going to try the balance first and if it's not that, then I will go to Mazda and have them take a look at it.

Prodigy said:
I dont dont know about the mazda3, but I had the same issue when I swapped my wheels.
The 3 might have hub-centric rings that need to be replaced..
The steering wheel was fine until I passed 50mph... then it shook like crazy..
the rings fixed the prob..

Can you tell if the vibrations are coming from one side of the car or not?

I'm not really able to tell. I don't think I have paid that much attention to it. It does have aftermarket wheels, though.

Boy, I have a big list of different things it could be. eek. lol If it is the rings, where did you get yours from?

the local tire place(Kauffman) had them.. any tire place should have them in stock

Prodigy said:
the local tire place(Kauffman) had them.. any tire place should have them in stock

Oh, okay. Well, I'm going to go to Discount Tire to get them balanced and I will have them check to see if it's the hub centric ring. They will be able to tell, right?

GrayZoom said:
Oh, okay. Well, I'm going to go to Discount Tire to get them balanced and I will have them check to see if it's the hub centric ring. They will be able to tell, right?
They should be able to. The rings may be cracked or chipped fromm swapping wheels.

Back