Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

2 tanks so far, 21mpg consistantly on a manual transmission.

This is 90% city driving with 87 octane oregon winter gas (10% ethanol).

I expect it to go up in the summer 2mpg or so. Meet's EPA rating :( I was hoping to significantly exceed it?

I'm still on my first tank, but I got more than 240 miles on the first half a tank. Does it go faster in the second half? :) this is the automatic version and I haven't really been driving so as to conserve gas, indeed I've been enjoying the zoom-zoom :) but I wont really be able to figure anything till I use a couple of tanks and keep track. But I'm looking forward to doing that.

I was really upset that there wasn't a hybrid in a model that I wanted, but I consider all these "mild" hybrids to be the wrong philosophy anyway with big gas engines and little electric ones. I want 4 HUGE electric motors at the wheels for totally adjustable 4 wheel drive and a little gas motor to charge the batts. But oh well, by the time I'm ready to trade this one in there should be a lot more choices available. But in any case I think I'm going to be very happy with this car!

Here are my absolute first 4 tanks on my automatic-
19.95 mpg with 80% highway
20.49 mpg with 50% highway
19.76 mpg with all city
19.6 mpg with all city

So for those getting 26 mpg how are you driving? I mean I drive this car like it wants to be driven, fast off the line, frequent passing, etc tho not aggressive driving. We also have AC at 72 auto all the time. So ac cranked, city driving with a little zoom-zoom nets me about 20 mpg. I was expecting a tad better.

i resntly got about 290 ish on one tank of gas i monitour it all the time and nothing but perimum gose in it

Your damaging your engine, getting worse milage and wasting money by using Premium. Your car is designed to run on 87, so thats what it should get. If there was a mazdaspeed5 (we can hope..heh) with the FSI turbo, then yes, run premium because that is what the engine is designed to run...

Wasting money yes. You will not damage your engine running a higher grade unless you go to something silly like race grade fuel. The highest grade "pump grade" fuel will not damage an engine designed to run on a lower grade.

I was getting 21 or so but the third tank earned us 28mpg! That was about 75% hwy. Anxious to see what the next tank gets.

Mileage Figures

Ok guys....I need your help to convert these figures.
I put 431km on a tank of gas and took 46litres to fill up (all city driving).
I estimate this to be 22mpg, but my math may be screwed up......
Anyone know the correct results?
Anthony

26.4 mpg UK/CDN
22.04 mpg US
10.7 L/100km

if it's a 5spd your numbers match Mazda Canada's claims.

Last edited:
After two months here my numbers...

Date l/100km m/gal.
5 fvrier 12.7 22.7
16 fvrier 11.0 26.1
20 fvrier 11.7 24.6
27 fvrier 11.4 25.4
9 mars 10.3 27.9
21 mars 11.2 25.7
30 mars 10.9 26.4
16 avril 10.5 27.4
17 avril 7.2 40.0 this one is a 250km trip at about 100km/h

(RTM)

I have thus far been less than impressed with the efficiency of this small engine as I had been unable to exceed 26 mpg (even on all highway). But, yesterday I had a 400 mile trip back and forth to West Palm. I had a full tank when I left, and then I filled up after travelling 275 miles...it only took 9.3 gallons, even topped off!! I got 29.5 mpg. For this trip, I hit very little traffic and was on the Turnpike with cruise set at 70. I usually cruise at 75 or 80, but I thought I would slow it down a bit to see if I could maximize mpg...this obviously helped.

The best I've been able to get is 20 mpg all city (suburbs actually) Which is about 260 miles per fill up. So, either I too like the engine and drivability too much or something is wrong. I can't imagine how those getting 25+ mpg are driving.

Kid Red said:
The best I've been able to get is 20 mpg all city (suburbs actually) Which is about 260 miles per fill up. So, either I too like the engine and drivability too much or something is wrong. I can't imagine how those getting 25+ mpg are driving.

If I Drive like my grandparents are in the back, I get 28+. If I drive it like I stole it it drops to 21 or so.

For me, 70 mph seems to be the threshold. If I stay around 70 mph or below, I can get up to 29 mpg, but if I drive over 70 for an extended amount of time. I get around 25 mpg.

I just got back from a 1600 mile highway trip. My 5 has 9k miles on it and I got 32 mpg doing about 68 mph on average. That's packed with vacation stuff and 4 passengers. I was quite pleased! :)

Back