Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

Automatic. Mostly city driving seeing anywhere from 19-22 mpg. I am in Louisville, KY and I think our reformulated gas sucks. Also this is with the AC on 100% of the time.

I'm sure no-one here cares, but since I don't have a 5 to drive yet, I've had to settle for tracking the mileage of our fully-laden (twins, stroller, groceries, etc) 1992 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Avenue (or what's left of it as ravenous rust is rapidly ravishing our ride). We're consistently getting maybe 16.5mpg with 80% city driving and a feather-footed technique.

Sure am looking forward to that Mazda5...
(yes)

Tim H. said:
5-speed, mixed driving and I got about 23 MPG on the 2nd or 3rd tank of gas. A bit disappointing actually. Maybe it will get better after the engine breaks in?

Yeah I thought with that 5 speed mpg would be better getting close to 25 mpg through 4-5 tankfuls 20% city 80% highway. EPA Sticker in CA states 22-27 sounds about right. I believe that the my 5 gets better mpg with AC on. Also in the morning the engine sounds real cold and rough goes away once warmed up. I've been pleased with performance and handling zoom zoom..... :)

First tank since the recall return ... 24.8mpg in probably 3/4 city driving. I have a Touring (GT) 5-speed.

24 mpg out of the first two tanks with at least 75% city driving and lots of sitting in traffic. Mazda5 Touring/ manual. Much better than the 17 I was seeing from the A8. (2thumbs)

I can't believe what I got for my first tank... 27.98mpg. I took delivery of the car when it had 21mi on it and was with the dealer when he filled it up for me. I reset the trip odometer at the same time. 1 week later, I filled up when it had 333mi on the trip odometer and it took 11.9 gal... topped off for sure. Even if I screwed up my calculation and forgot to reset the trip meter, the mileage would come out to be 26.2mpg, which still is great. My driving has been 80-90% suburban commuting on semi-rural type roads with a bit of highway driving for the remainder. This mileage really amazes me, so I'm very curious to see if my second tank substantiates these figures!

I drive a 5speed5 and have been relatively conservative driving it so far. I love this car!

M5 GT 5speed manual
Pre-Recall
Tank #1 443km, 11.2L/100km or 275mi, 21mpg - 75%city
Tank #2 457km, 10.7L/100km or 284mi, 21.8mpg - 75%city
Tank #3 283km, 9.0L/100km or 175mi, 26.1mpg - 90%highway
Tank #4 453km, 11.1L/100km or 281mi, 21.3mpg - 75%city
Post-Recall
Tank #5 400km, 11.7L/100km or 248mi, 20.1mpg - 75%city
Tank #6 355km, 15.1L/100km or 220mi, 15.6mpg - 85%city

I'm not impressed to say the least. See my posting on the Hesitation. Anyone think these are connected? Add in the recall "fix" and my gas mileage takes a dive. Makes me think I'm driving around with an anchor hanging off my bumper. I'd like to know how you folks are getting 25+mpg consistently.

mazdaFIVEmike said:
M5 GT 5speed manual
Pre-Recall
Post-Recall

I'm not impressed to say the least. See my posting on the Hesitation. Anyone think these are connected? Add in the recall "fix" and my gas mileage takes a dive. Makes me think I'm driving around with an anchor hanging off my bumper. I'd like to know how you folks are getting 25+mpg consistently.

I have a 5 and don't have any hesitation. In fact it feels more responsive after the recall. It definitely doesn't feel like there is an anchor hanging off the bumper :).

The recall fix did not change the 5 speed's PCM. When does it hesitate?

FYI, I'm getting similar mileage numbers in the low 20's (though I have not seen 15mpg). My 3S gets 22 to 28mpg. Remember the 5 is larger and not as aerodynamic as the 3.

Climate has a lot to do with fuel economy as well. MA has been pretty mild lately (40 to 60). How is it up in BC?

Last edited:
Antonio DiMarco said:
I have a 5 and don't have any hesitation. In fact it feels more responsive after the recall. It definitely doesn't feel like there is an anchor hanging off the bumper :).

The recall fix did not change the 5 speed's PCM. When does it hesitate?

FYI, I'm getting similar mileage numbers in the low 20's (though I have not seen 15mpg). My 3S gets 22 to 28mpg. Remember the 5 is larger and not as aerodynamic as the 3.

Climate has a lot to do with fuel economy as well. MA has been pretty mild lately (40 to 60). How is it up in BC?

Its been chilly - may have something to do with it but I wouldn't expect a drop like that. I have an "out on a limb" thought as well. I recall being told something about the gas tank being some sort of bladder system(???) and perhaps the gas cap was not on real tight allowing some air in - I'm guessing here. But since filling I made sure the cap was on good and tight and so far the fuel gauge has just dipped below the full line and I've gone 80km (50mi) with the same type of driving in the same weather. We'll just have to see on this crazy thought.... (braindead

The hesitation is during start off until about 3000rpm when you feel like you get an extra kick or boost - the zoom zoom - I assume!!

If you acclerate hard its not there, its only when you go slow - like on a residential street.

O.k., I'm coming back down to earth on my gas mileage figures.

Here are my two tanks so far:
1) 333mi, 11.9gal = 28mpg
2) 330mi, 14.28gal = 23.1 mpg ?? what the !??

There's two things going on that I think are going on (boom07)
1) I'm beginning to think that my first fill-up didn't quite fill it up. If that's the case, then perhaps the car should have taken another 1.5gal or so which would have given me 24.8mpg. I recall on this last tank that I was surprised to see how quickly the gauge dropped to 3/4 tank after only 70mi. I just filled up with the 14.28gal and the gauge is farther above F than it was on the 11.9gal fill-up... evidence that it wasn't quite full, even though I thought I topped it off. So if the last tank was say 1.5gal low when I started driving on it, my latest calc would be 26mpg. Having seen the above post about a bladder tank, perhaps this is related.
2) I did more city driving with more people in the car over the holidays which would naturally decrease the gas mileage anyway.

So maybe I'm really getting about 25mpg on my "semi-rural/city" driving and not 28? Hmmmm. We'll see how the next few tanks go. 25mpg seems more realistic though.

Just filled up our automatic Touring for the first time.

273 mi, 10.9 gallons ~ 25mpg

even split between city and highway driving.

What is a bladder tank?

Rich A. said:
O.k., I'm coming back down to earth on my gas mileage figures.

Here are my two tanks so far:
1) 333mi, 11.9gal = 28mpg
2) 330mi, 14.28gal = 23.1 mpg ?? what the !??

There's two things going on that I think are going on (boom07)
1) I'm beginning to think that my first fill-up didn't quite fill it up. If that's the case, then perhaps the car should have taken another 1.5gal or so which would have given me 24.8mpg. I recall on this last tank that I was surprised to see how quickly the gauge dropped to 3/4 tank after only 70mi. I just filled up with the 14.28gal and the gauge is farther above F than it was on the 11.9gal fill-up... evidence that it wasn't quite full, even though I thought I topped it off. So if the last tank was say 1.5gal low when I started driving on it, my latest calc would be 26mpg. Having seen the above post about a bladder tank, perhaps this is related.
2) I did more city driving with more people in the car over the holidays which would naturally decrease the gas mileage anyway.

So maybe I'm really getting about 25mpg on my "semi-rural/city" driving and not 28? Hmmmm. We'll see how the next few tanks go. 25mpg seems more realistic though.

Anyone care to explain what a Bladder tank is? Does it fill up and deflate like a balloon?

I do believe you maybe onto something in terms of how "full" the gas tank gets at fill-up. I've found that some gas stations pumps are overly sensative to topping off while others allow it. I'm more inclined to believe it's the fault of a gas pump than a huge drop in the 5's gas mileage. I've also seen the same phenomena where the first 1/4 goes quickly.

Hmmm

I get about 20 in the city and 26 on the highway. About the same as advertised, maybe a little better.

mazdaFIVEmike said:
M5 GT 5speed manual
Pre-Recall
Post-Recall

Update:
Tank #7 404km, 13.9L/100km or 251mi, 16.9mpg - 85% city
Tank #8 431km, 12.1L/100km or 268mi, 19.5mpg - 85% city

Does anyone else think these numbers suck? Needless to say - I'm going in for a service check this week - Its definitely first on my complaint list. (rant)

mazdaFIVEmike said:
Update:
Tank #7 404km, 13.9L/100km or 251mi, 16.9mpg - 85% city
Tank #8 431km, 12.1L/100km or 268mi, 19.5mpg - 85% city

Does anyone else think these numbers suck? Needless to say - I'm going in for a service check this week - Its definitely first on my complaint list. (rant)
Have you been running the defrost the whole time?
When you run the defrost it cycles the A/C compressor which will make your economy drop. Also, the fuel map has more than likely changed for the cold weather. It's probably running richer until the engine reaches operating temps (much like the choke on a carb'd engine). Also, are you letting the car run for a few minutes before you get in so it will be warmer for you? If so, that's where some of your gas is going too.

I had my mileage #s drop this winter too...I was getting into the mid to high teens (MPG). But by off the defrost and not letting it idle for ten minutes before driving I've managed to get back into the low 20s.

I can't believe the terrible numbers you guys are getting. I'll post my figures later when I have my list, but I've been getting much better fuel economy than that. My latest tank was 27.9mpg (2/3 hwy, 1/3 commuting). On average around town, I've been getting about 25mpg.

the_saint said:
Have you been running the defrost the whole time?
When you run the defrost it cycles the A/C compressor which will make your economy drop. Also, the fuel map has more than likely changed for the cold weather. It's probably running richer until the engine reaches operating temps (much like the choke on a carb'd engine). Also, are you letting the car run for a few minutes before you get in so it will be warmer for you? If so, that's where some of your gas is going too.

I had my mileage #s drop this winter too...I was getting into the mid to high teens (MPG). But by off the defrost and not letting it idle for ten minutes before driving I've managed to get back into the low 20s.

Thanks the_saint.

I don't let the car warm up in the mornings (usually because getting the 2 kids ready to get out the door doesn't leave any time to warm anything up! lol) but I'm not sure about the defrost - I know we've been using it - I'll try to keep it to a minimum this time round to see if that makes a difference - good to know! I always expect the mileage to drop in the winter months but that 15mpg kinda scared me a little. Things have picked up as of late - 20.3mpg (90% city) and 23.6mpg (100%highway with 2 mountain climbs in the snow) so that is more what I would expect for winter. Perhaps it will improve as the engine breaks in. The numbers others are getting just surprises me if I can't get anywhere near that.

I have had my 5 for two weeks and have put 1800 mi. on it. Currently I commute 100 mi. per day about 90% highway.

1st tank was 23.48
2nd tank was 25.66
3rd tank was 27.89
4th tank was 23.98
5th tank was 28.84

These are at least the ones I have records for. I almost forgot I have the Touring addition/ Automatic

With our Touring Automatic having almost 3k miles, we have been able to achieve a 25 mpg average overall.

The lowest so far has been 22 mpg(90% city), and the highest 27 mpg(90% freeway). Needless to say, we are very happy.

Back