Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

Thought I'd quickly share an update re: my 2014 Mz5 Sport with A/T. Have been able to track consumption on last 5K+ miles/6+ months (Dec-June). The vehicle needed 212 gallons of regular 87 octane gasoline to go 5407 miles for an average of 25.5 mpg. (Mostly used Shell, BP, Marathon and Sam's Club fuel.) That was a mix of many short trips, decent amount of highway driving, tons of windy days, etc. Nothing really long though -- no trips out of state. I think the longest non-stop run was 130-140 miles.

While I had several fuel ups in high 20's and even at 32 mpg once, I notice that at some stations the "click" happens earlier than at others. So I almost ignore MPG in the short term. Also ignore fuel gauge. Not very precise. One time I needed 7 gallons to get to full even though I was just four "squares" short. Another time I was at half tank according to gauge but only needed a little over 8 gallons. I think other vehicles I've owned have been more accurate in that regard but it's not a big deal.

Interesting but expected data points... Dec-Apr MPG was at 25.0 but went up to 26.2 Apr-Jun. Slightly more highway driving and much warmer weather had to have helped.

Last edited:
We averaged 30 mpg cross country from Ar to Ca in a 2012 5 sport loaded with camping equipment, 3 adults 1 child and all the accouterments thereof. We actually looked like a clown car when we unloaded in the evenings.

Last edited:
Here's my summary from Carango over the life of ownership. Decent for it's mostly City driving life but not as good as the window sticker suggested.
65e68b56576d48dad1ede5648cd3ae80.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WOW I would be curious to know the elevation changes and speeds you were doing...

We averaged 30 mpg cross country from Ar to Ca in a 2012 5 sport loaded with camping equipment, 3 adults 1 child and all the accouterments thereof. We actually looked like a clown car when we unloaded in the evenings.

Update

Just to update my status, about 2 months ago I cleaned the MAF and put a bit more air in the tires and it made an improvement. I am now seeing between 20 and 21 mpg in my mixed use driving. My highway driving did get almost 28 mpg when I did a quick 100 mile run before the MAF cleaning. So I feel I am now getting mileage closer to what I had hoped. Just thought I would post the update so others might try cleaning their MAF if they are getting poor mileage as well.

2014 6sp manual. 70K current miles. I rarely get less than 30mpg. I don't drive more than 70mph. I typically average 33mpg, doing 80%highway. I once saw 35.4mpg on a long highway trip with no a/c running, just me and no cargo.

I guess I'm lucky, because it looks like the automatic is a real downgrade for economy.

I can get 29mpg during the summer if the tire air pressure is above 45 psi (Highway only, 2015 sport auto).

During the winter, with local driving, I get 23 mpg. Maybe I should consider removing rear seats because the car never has more than two people in it (but I need the cargo space for occasional hauling).

I can get 29mpg during the summer if the tire air pressure is above 45 psi (Highway only, 2015 sport auto).

During the winter, with local driving, I get 23 mpg. Maybe I should consider removing rear seats because the car never has more than two people in it (but I need the cargo space for occasional hauling).
I've had the 3rd seat removed most of the time I've had my '09. As I recall, it weighs 84 lbs (and the 2d row weigh 82 lbs each), so it could make a difference over time.
I've logged every gallon I've bought and average 23 city and 29 hwy at 70mph. Can have gotten 32 when I could stick to 60 on relatively level routes. Don't try that on the interstates.

I've been obsessed with hypermiling for decades and recently bought a 2012 6M, trading in a well used MX-5, primarily to get a vehicle allowing me to sleep in the back.

Anyway I track my mileage on fuelly and here you are: https://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/5/2012/moron/1055602

Note the word obsessed as I don't drive like 'normal' people. I'm the guy on the interstate in the right lane moving about 10% slower than the speed limit (much less unnerving in the 5 compared to the MX-5 as people don't get stupidly close as often) and at the speed limit on highways.

Typically in town I start from a stop in first, go to third and then fifth (sixth if I've got some speed up) then idle along guessing 45 or so is the optimum mph.

I interpret stop signs and red lights liberally: when the intersection is empty I consider them guidelines, not policies. :)

Your mileage will vary. ;)

I've been obsessed with hypermiling for decades and recently bought a 2012 6M, trading in a well used MX-5, primarily to get a vehicle allowing me to sleep in the back.

Anyway I track my mileage on fuelly and here you are: https://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/5/2012/moron/1055602

Note the word obsessed as I don't drive like 'normal' people. I'm the guy on the interstate in the right lane moving about 10% slower than the speed limit (much less unnerving in the 5 compared to the MX-5 as people don't get stupidly close as often) and at the speed limit on highways.

Typically in town I start from a stop in first, go to third and then fifth (sixth if I've got some speed up) then idle along guessing 45 or so is the optimum mph.

I interpret stop signs and red lights liberally: when the intersection is empty I consider them guidelines, not policies. :)

Your mileage will vary. ;)
I don't have any comment on your driving style and I understand what hypermilers do. I am curious if you have made any modifications to the vehicle (reducing weight, make the car lower, etc) because 33mpg in average is a great achievement for a mazda 5. Mine is a automatic so I guess there is very little chance for me to get that kind of fuel economy.

I don't have any comment on your driving style and I understand what hypermilers do. I am curious if you have made any modifications to the vehicle (reducing weight, make the car lower, etc) because 33mpg in average is a great achievement for a mazda 5. Mine is a automatic so I guess there is very little chance for me to get that kind of fuel economy.

I would say no chance with an automatic: they are mechanically less efficient and provide less control regarding gear selection and coasting. One of the great failings of the USofA is our near complete abandonment of manual transmissions... heavy sigh.

I removed the rear seats about 6 weeks after purchase in February but added a lot of weight back in the form of plywood to create a level platform, although it definitely weighs less than stock.

Other than that it is stock and since you ask it's time I check the tire pressure again, which I haven't done for months other than eyeballing.

I have to say I'm surprised and very pleased with the results I've gotten with the 5: I didn't expect it to do as well as it does.

I would say no chance with an automatic: they are mechanically less efficient and provide less control regarding gear selection and coasting. One of the great failings of the USofA is our near complete abandonment of manual transmissions... heavy sigh.

I removed the rear seats about 6 weeks after purchase in February but added a lot of weight back in the form of plywood to create a level platform, although it definitely weighs less than stock.

Other than that it is stock and since you ask it's time I check the tire pressure again, which I haven't done for months other than eyeballing.

I have to say I'm surprised and very pleased with the results I've gotten with the 5: I didn't expect it to do as well as it does.
I will do the seat deletion on mine then and make my tire pressure above 50mpg. With the summer driving that should get me above 28 mpg consistently.

I will have to think about the platform part. It would be nice to convert it into a camper and a flat platform is a must.

I will do the seat deletion on mine then and make my tire pressure above 50mpg. With the summer driving that should get me above 28 mpg consistently.

I will have to think about the platform part. It would be nice to convert it into a camper and a flat platform is a must.
holy cow, you run your tires at FIFTY psi* ? I thought mine were high at 35. I'd totally delete the third row except for the fact I only bought the car for the third row. Removing 1 middle row seat would still save ~40 lbs, yes?

Installing 17 lbs NC Miata rims + replacing steel hood with FRP/CF hood would probably make an impact on the mpg for auto-owning folks, but then you'd be looking at roughly ~$800 investment. Sorta not worth it by then.

My mileage with the auto is completely TRASH just from hauling kids around to the gym, school, etc:
Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 9.39.12 AM.png

8.77 L/100km (Canada, thus Metric) but converts to 27 mpg

6 Speed Manual transmission in a 2012 GT.

That is over 3.5 years of ownership and 115,000 km in Ontario, Canada, so hot humid summers with A/C and cold cold winters. Mostly highway driving.

Browsing around, researching an intermittent no-fire issue and came across this thread. Thought I'd share my underwhelming stats...

Back