Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

On a trip from Rochester to Long Island I was getting 35 mpg 200 miles in according to the gauge. Of course the around town Long Island stop and go brought it down to about 30.

But I believe the 35 mpg. It was raining, which has always increased my mpg. Slower drivung, lower electrical resistance(?). But generally summer highway I'm about 30. I could sqeeze out a couple mpg by down down , but...

Road Trip-Central Florida to New Jersey and Back. Two adults and 2 kids and gear for a long weekend. Total (without factoring the final leg of fill and miles) was 1979 miles and 67.3 gallons. Final tank looks consistent with others for this trip with ~200 miles for half tank.

MPG average = 29.39

2008 Mazda5 Sport
Auto Trans

Thought I'd weigh in with some numbers from my 'new shape' 5 with the direct engine 2.0 and 6 speed manual.

Official UK combined figure is 40.5mpg (34 US mpg). First 2 tanks have been around the 38mpg (32mpg US) level. This is about 40:60 mix town/open road.

One thing I have noticed, compared to my Honda, the computer seems about right (indicating 37.5) whereas on the Honda it would be between 5-10% optimistic. So the Honda would typically be on about 44mpg in the same scenario, but actual consumption would be 41mpg.

Nailed it...

I've had to really drive conservatively to get in the high 29's on the highway in the past. Could never get this thing to 30mpg or better. Finally took my first road trip with the new wheels, tires and suspension and hit 32.011 mpg. Coming from New Orleans to Atlanta. (I-59 north to I-20 east). Seems shaving 5lbs off each wheel really made a difference.

Saw mid 27 and mid 28 on the way down and that included several off highway jaunts with about 30 miles worth of stop and go driving in downtown New Orleans.

8mgquqssGwNuUaGdn4QBQZN_qnH995J6sfPU2OCu_oU=w276-h207-p-no

^^ Nice

I haven't posted MPG in ages, so a day trip, 65-75mph most of the way, except a lot of congestion around the Washington DC beltway: 25MPG. One of those days I wished my 2008 had a 6th gear

I've had to really drive conservatively to get in the high 29's on the highway in the past. Could never get this thing to 30mpg or better. Finally took my first road trip with the new wheels, tires and suspension and hit 32.011 mpg. Coming from New Orleans to Atlanta. (I-59 north to I-20 east). Seems shaving 5lbs off each wheel really made a difference.

Saw mid 27 and mid 28 on the way down and that included several off highway jaunts with about 30 miles worth of stop and go driving in downtown New Orleans.

8mgquqssGwNuUaGdn4QBQZN_qnH995J6sfPU2OCu_oU=w276-h207-p-no
Isn't it nice to hit low 30s :D

I think the improvement is more from the road and environmental variances then the rims. Long distance trips to one-off places are not good indicators of your real world MPG b/c those are not your everyday real word roads. It can tell give you an indication of its max capability. Also, you need to consider round trip (top of the hill to the bottom, no so good going up). Report back if you see better MPG on your daily routine. It would be awesome if lighter rims can net a +3!

BTW, any updates on your tune with Dynotronics? You are part of the Mz3 GB, correct? I am very interested. I believe this is one of those things that pays for itself over a short period of time. For me it is not about power but rather drivability.

Last edited:
Just got 31mpg on a tank with my 08 5AT with 122k miles. AC on most of the time with three people and luggage.

I have now put on about 2200 miles since I bought our 5 in October. Using Fuelly.com, I am averaging 24.9 MPG. Mostly country roads where the speed limit is 50 MPH and then some city driving.

fuelly.jpg

2012, auto, sport, 22k and some change mileage. I run 5w30 oil.

We pretty much always get 23.xx mpg or 27.xx mpg. There really is never anything in the middle. It's very odd. I saw 26.xx once, and 29.xx once, but otherwise it's like a switch. One or the other.

Mostly city driving, but it's our main car so we do our road trips with it pretty often also. The "city" driving here isn't very typical, most of the highways have stop lights every mile or 2, and many of the main roads are 45mph+ with tons of lights and stop signs.

Hit my lowest on the last fill-up: 11.9 mpg. About 100 miles of ultra-short (mile to three mile) drives, lots of idling, very cold temperatures, and lots of snow/ice on every drive.

Most recent fill up revealed I had gotten a little over 18mpg. My lowest yet. Granted with the cold weather that includes a lot of idling time.

I did a 12.75 a couple of weeks ago, lots of remote starts and idling in the cold. My average since I've been tracking is just over 20 even, its important to look at the big picture so I dont set it on fire. Still not the 23-24 I thought I would be getting but not too far off either.

Subzero temps results in lots of warm-ups/idle time but it is offset by highway trips every weekend of 300 miles or more so the (indicated) average MPG has been 23-24. Not too bad considering it is usually fully loaded, with either 6 people or 5 people plus baggage from floor to ceiling on the folded down 6th seat.

I am curious to see the highway MPGs with the new tires this summer. The new tires seem to have less rolling resistance than the OEM Toyos.

I range between 20 and 24 mpg between fill-ups. Have only achieved near 25 mpg once or twice with almost 100% highway driving. For reference, I live in a very hilly area in NW NJ. I can go 30 miles east on I-80, which is mostly downhill, and achieve 30-32 mpg, but the trip back, even driving the speed limit (65 mph) with a very light throttle, will drag it back down to 25-26 mpg.

I've never done worse than 20 mpg, and that's about 80% hilly, semi-rural suburban "city" driving.

Note: I'm driving an automatic.

Last edited:
Averaging 24.5mpg in stop-and-go city driving with a heavy accelerator foot. Got 28mpg with wifey, three teens and a parakeet with Thule Evo cartop carrier full of luggage. Auto transmission.

Last edited:
I'm not even going to do the math on this one cause its so far off. I have no idea why after I filled up last week, by half a tank I'd only gone 96 miles. Its not running lean and I don't beat on it. It has been terribly cold outside though.

Last edited:
My wife and I just bought her a 2014 Mazda5 with auto. She has 600 miles on it and drives probably 70:30 City:Highway and she can't even break 200 miles on a tank. I estimate she's getting about 14MPG average hauling herself and my three kids around town (combined weight 285lbs). Car seems to be running perfectly. I know the engine is new and it may "loosen up" a bit but 14 MPG?

I just bought a 2014 Mazda3 and only have 400 miles on it and I got 34MPG mixed driving on my first tank. Everything I've read online puts most people getting around 24MPG in mixed driving. What could be going on here?

Back