Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

It's an issue of the powertrain. Look at the other applications of the MZR: the Mazda 3 and Mazda CX-7, for instance. The 3 is slightly lighter and more aerodynamic than the 5, while the CX-7 is less aerodynamic and roughly similar to heavier weight.

2012 Mazda5 - 21/28
2012 Mazda3 hatch - 22/28
2012 Mazda CX-7 - 20/27

Simply plopping in the Skyactiv powertrain in the 3 of the same year yields outstanding improvements in economy:

2012 Mazda 3 2.0Skyactiv hatch - 28/37

All Mazda needed to do was shove the same powertrain in the 5 and we'd have an amazingly efficient little people and cargo mover. I imagine the results would be something like 27/36. If I keep this thing around for a while, and I can get a place with a garage, I might spend the money to pick up a used 2012/2013 2.0 Skyactiv engine and transmission from a 3; it should nearly just drop right in.

It's an issue of the powertrain. Look at the other applications of the MZR: the Mazda 3 and Mazda CX-7, for instance. The 3 is slightly lighter and more aerodynamic than the 5, while the CX-7 is less aerodynamic and roughly similar to heavier weight.

2012 Mazda5 - 21/28
2012 Mazda3 hatch - 22/28
2012 Mazda CX-7 - 20/27

Simply plopping in the Skyactiv powertrain in the 3 of the same year yields outstanding improvements in economy:

2012 Mazda 3 2.0Skyactiv hatch - 28/37

All Mazda needed to do was shove the same powertrain in the 5 and we'd have an amazingly efficient little people and cargo mover. I imagine the results would be something like 27/36. If I keep this thing around for a while, and I can get a place with a garage, I might spend the money to pick up a used 2012/2013 2.0 Skyactiv engine and transmission from a 3; it should nearly just drop right in.

I don't know for sure but I believe Skyactiv powertrain was used in some 5's sold outside of N. America. Wonder if we have any forum members with those...

I rented a SKyactiv 3 sedan last spring. Didn't like the driver seat in terms of comfort but really liked fuel economy and the car overall. I got something like 40 mpg in mixed but mostly highway driving in Western NY and PA!

I don't know for sure but I believe Skyactiv powertrain was used in some 5's sold outside of N. America. Wonder if we have any forum members with those...

I rented a SKyactiv 3 sedan last spring. Didn't like the driver seat in terms of comfort but really liked fuel economy and the car overall. I got something like 40 mpg in mixed but mostly highway driving in Western NY and PA!

Oh it definitely is. When they put the 2.0 Skyactiv into the 2012-13 Mazda3, they also put it in the Mazda5 (Premacy) outside of North America.

It's rare when a dream engine swap would result in less power and torque. :p I'd lose too much torque with the 2.0L. The 2.5L SkyActive might be a bit more difficult, but should still be pretty straightforward and would have considerable more power and still a huge improvement in fuel economy compared to the stock 2.5L.

It's rare when a dream engine swap would result in less power and torque. [emoji14] I'd lose too much torque with the 2.0L. The 2.5L SkyActive might be a bit more difficult, but should still be pretty straightforward and would have considerable more power and still a huge improvement in fuel economy compared to the stock 2.5L.
I'd want the diesel skyactive honestly. Killer torque fits the personality and function way better.

I agree that the diesel would be awesome and that the 2.5 gas would be better suited than the 2.0. The problem is that the diesel isn't available yet, it'll be pricey and hard to get when it is available, and the 2.5 was never fitted in the 2012-13 Mazda 3. Mazda claimed at the time that the 2.5 wouldn't fit in the engine bay of the three, citing the lack of space for the fancy exhaust manifold in that generation. I have little doubt that it could be made to fit, but we know that the 2.0 and its transmissions fit into the engine bay of the second-gen Mazda3, which is nearly identical to the Mazda5. The peak horsepower and torque on the 2.0 are not that much lower than the MZR 2.5 in the Mazda5 or the MZR 2.3 in the first-gen Mazda5. The 2.5 at least was tuned to produce lower peak values in exchange for a flatter torque curve, so I imagine while the peaks aren't much higher, the usable torque would be noticeably less on the Sky 2.0.

A little late, but jvmarino, that is probably exactly what I would expect to see in a 3600 lb 4 banger with an AT that doesn't have DI or any of the other engine tech of the 2010s. I was getting that kind of city mileage out of my 2.2L Subaru 4AT and 2.2L Accord wagon VTEC 4AT. Sure, by 08 the Mazda5 has an extra gear, but in city driving, the torque converter never locks up, so it is always bleeding power, which means more gas to move it the same amount. Its one reason I looked for the MT. I can get 23-24mpg all city, and no opportunity to drive more than 1 mi before hitting the next red light (usually 1/2 mi). I got 17-19 in the 2.2L wagons listed above, and they were abt 3100 lbs each.
Sure its not too efficient when compared to all the EPA ratings on TV and in print, but remember 2 things: the EPA est mpgs are either suggested by the mfr with no testing, or if they are tested, its to a very strictly followed city simulation, which any mfr can manipulate by playing with gear ratios, final drive, and ECU settings based on throttle input. The other is that you already have a sunk investment in what you have. To make it worthwhile to change, you would probably need to more than double your mpgs after taking on the new payments, insurance costs, and depreciation on what you have. That or drive 2000 miles a week.

Being a California boy and having done legal engine swaps, there's absolutely no way one could get away with putting a diesel in the MZ5 here. But I agree that a small turbodiesel would be the best match.

Last edited:
Appreciate all the feedback. My posting kind of spurred a lot of posts/activity, but was mainly meant to see if there was something I am missing. I have no intent to swap engines, and while I had toyed with the idea of a MT when purchasing, that search severely limited what I could buy (which was already small enough), and would ultimately not suit my need as a everyday work car to run around town. I have 4 other cars with MT, and decided to keep my DD an automatic (after selling my trusty Jeep Cherokee). I have never driven the Mazda5 on a long highway trip yet, but might take it on my next 100 mile trip to see how the mileage numbers look when all highway.

I will say, when I read posts where people talk about driving on a roadtrip with 6 people, all the luggage, and a roof cargo box filled, and getting 30mpg, I find it hard to believe it is the same car I have. But again, maybe there is some odd issue wrong with mine that I can't figure out.

Jim

I will say, when I read posts where people talk about driving on a roadtrip with 6 people, all the luggage, and a roof cargo box filled, and getting 30mpg, I find it hard to believe it is the same car I have. But again, maybe there is some odd issue wrong with mine that I can't figure out.

Jim

I am an original owner of my 2012
I put 70k miles on it myself
80% road trip

Since your above is referring to my post, with 6 people and luggage and roof rack, I said I got 20.8mPg never 30mpg

I have receipts of every gas purchase in a spreadsheet. Having 9 cars and 3 bikes I am overly anal in leeeping accurate records

Good day

80% road trip

Since your above is referring to my post, with 6 people and luggage and roof rack, I said I got 20.8mPg never 30mpg

I have receipts of every gas purchase in a spreadsheet. Having 9 cars and 3 bikes I am overly anal in leeeping accurate records

Good day
9 cars? Wow! What app do you use to track?

80% road trip

Good day

But LA is different. Unless its btw 10pm and 5am, a road trip is 100 mi of city driving even though its called "freeway"

With 6 and luggage (no roof rack), I was getting 21-25 @ 80 mph on I-8 with the MT (no traffic, so no tailwind). Also mind that 80 mph in the 5MT is almost 4K rpm (eek2)(crazy)

Last edited:
But LA is different. Unless its btw 10pm and 5am, a road trip is 100 mi of city driving even though its called "freeway"

With 6 and luggage (no roof rack), I was getting 21-25 @ 80 mph on I-8 with the MT (no traffic, so no tailwind). Also mind that 80 mph in the 5MT is almost 4K rpm (eek2)(crazy)
Putting the 21 cubic feet box fully loaded costs me 5-6.6MPG

We ran down to Florida with a 15' box and we didn't lose too much, 3 or 4 maybe? Well worth it for the extra room it made inside.

We've had our 5 for about two years now.

Average MPG is 23.8 with roughly 50-50 city streets/city highways.

Highest ever MPG is 32.8, 100% highway on vacation, 4 passengers and fully loaded. Mind you, that was only one lucky tank. Most of the highway miles on that trip were 30-31mpg. When in a city, of course, mileage dropped to around 21mpg loaded.

We've had our 5 for about two years now.

Average MPG is 23.8 with roughly 50-50 city streets/city highways.

Highest ever MPG is 32.8, 100% highway on vacation, 4 passengers and fully loaded. Mind you, that was only one lucky tank. Most of the highway miles on that trip were 30-31mpg. When in a city, of course, mileage dropped to around 21mpg loaded.

I decided to start tracking every single tank for several months since the first December fill up. The average after 2K miles and three months is now at 25 mpg with similar 50/50 hwy/city split. Buying Shell, BP and Sam's Club gasoline. Short trips, city driving and cold weather certainly kill fuel economy. (I guess cold weather is a non-issue for TX.)

Drove down to Disneyland and back and got 29 MPG average over 850 miles. 3 occupants, lots of luggage, A/C running on low most of the way, 70-80 MPH, tires inflated to 44 psi, some traffic. I kept the automatic in manual mode so it would stay in 5th gear when going up steep inclines.

Back