Gauge Cluster Needles.....F**K!!

MoJoeTCM

:
Mazda, MSP Protege
Ok, i ordered the reverse glow gauges and received them today. I began to install the gauges but came to find myself not being able to slide the dials over the needles...The needles snapped on my fuel and engine temp. (bang) What the hell can i do about this?! Do i have to order a new Gauge Cluster!?!

as I have read...yeah you do because even w/ a new needle it wont work correctly...

dang man...this sucks....how much does a new cluster cost? also.....how the hell do these things go on...i know people have them on this forum..

if its anything like my other car you have to put the needle in first then push down on it so it goes under the silver part & then it should slide over the other end..i dunno if that made sense...

it is not that it is hard to slide on the needle, it is hard to get it over the part protruding from the thing horizontal from the needle...........i dunno wtf to do....how will i know how much gas i have in this piece

MoJoeTCM said:
it is not that it is hard to slide on the needle, it is hard to get it over the part protruding from the thing horizontal from the needle...........i dunno wtf to do....how will i know how much gas i have in this piece

Hahaha! The gas light will come on.

But are the base of the needles still on? If so, you could try and wedge a spoon under there and pry gently. Other than that, I would just look to a scrap yard or something for a new cluster.

yea.....the metal part of the needles are still on.......but you can tell if you look real close that the metal snapped...........pry what gently?

They are not ugly....they match my blitz gauges thank you very much....the only thing that is ugly is that pontiac trans am orange....

does anyone have a totaled protege?? :( s*** man
if i am about to pay that much for a cluster i should just order a digital one..

I could be wrong, but for some reason thats the number in my head. Definately double check me there, but I do know its super expensive.

Find me a Sport-Matic Gauge cluster from a P5 and I'll give you my white-faced MP3 Cluster (thumb)

MoJoeTCM said:
omg i just shitted in my pants 700?! wtf that cost just as much as rims.....

Last I checked, whole gauge cluster assemblies direct from Mazdaparts.com were about 300 bucks

mooS mooS said:
Find me a Sport-Matic Gauge cluster from a P5 and I'll give you my white-faced MP3 Cluster (thumb)

Deal..... where can i find one? And if not...how much do you want for yours...

time to go to the junk yard...hey Joe...while you're there..pick me up a door lock switch....

MoJoeTCM said:
yea.....the metal part of the needles are still on.......but you can tell if you look real close that the metal snapped...........pry what gently?

They are not ugly....they match my blitz gauges thank you very much....the only thing that is ugly is that pontiac trans am orange....

youre right, arguing over whats ugly or not is quite lame. but still, those EL glow things cause more trouble that they are worth, what with all the needle breaking and such.

oh well.....looks is not the subject matter....where can i find a new one or who has one they would like to sell? I would appreciate the help guys...i live in columbus ga...you are not about to find a cluster for a protege there....i am sure of that...

search, there is a thread on how to replace the individual clusters. maybe its in the howto section.

Back