ABS sensor problems

SmileyBone

:
Proteg5
Hi everyone. I'm new here but I've seen that a couple of you had problems with ABS sensor. I think that 220$ Can are really expensive for something that work that bad. I was wondering, is there a way to bypass it to make the ABS and hand brake light shut down?? I was thinking of removing the LED but is it easy to remove the dashboard?

Thanks for suggestions

If you pull out the ABS fuse you will bypass the ABS completely.

In order to get rid of the ABS warning light and Park Brake Light, I was told by the Mazda mechanic to pull out the bulbs for the warning lights.

The dealer cannot disable those lights as I was told it was illegal.

SmileyBone said:
Hi everyone. I'm new here but I've seen that a couple of you had problems with ABS sensor. I think that 220$ Can are really expensive for something that work that bad. I was wondering, is there a way to bypass it to make the ABS and hand brake light shut down?? I was thinking of removing the LED but is it easy to remove the dashboard?

Thanks for suggestions

Remove the lense over the gague cluster and place black electrical tape over the lights. Problem solved.

If ABS light is on, ABS is already disabled.

Frankly, $220 is not alot when it comes down to something that could save your life when, for example, a deer jumps out in front of your car.

ABS has two features that come into play while you brake hard: It keeps your car moving in the direction you steer and it decreases stopping distance. Without ABS, the wheels lock up and you are a sled on a one way track to wherever your car wants to take you.

In certain conditions such as loose gravel or soft snow ABS can increase stopping distance...however, in these conditions (when you should be driving slow anyway), the ability to maneuver and brake at the same time without pumping the brakes can far out weight the few feet you may have added in stopping distance.

One of my sensors was replaced under warranty. I'm guessing you are looking for alternatives because your warranty is up. If it is not, take it into the dealer and have them take a look. If it is, take it into your dealer anyway and get it fixed.

Edit: If you're considering disabling your ABS... read (don't just skim) the following website:
http://www.abs-education.org/

Last edited:
well it's 220$ + instalation time... And I just changed full set of brakes and tires... and I need to change winter tires too... I don't have enough cash to do it all and the ABS will have to wait. I'll probably fix it before snow, but for the moment, the warning lights are pain in the a**.

Anyway, thanks for advice chuyler1. The best would be to find a used one..

Did the brake light coincide with having the brakes done? If so, the mechanic may have disconnected the sensor by accident. If it was the dealer you could claim that they broke it while performing the brake job and they should replace it for free. Its a long shot but worth a shot.

Also, my dealer will do a free diagnositic and inspection (warranty or not). If yours offers the same service that would determine whether it is actually a bad sensor.

chuyler1 said:
Did the brake light coincide with having the brakes done?

Nop. Was there before and thought it might help to change brakes. The rotors were under minimum thickness... The weird thing is that the sensor is working, there is a speed signal coming from it... But the computer read a warning from this same sensor...

Back