LSD broke in 2!!!

Fede_italiano

Contributor
:
2003.5 Mazda Protege' MazdaSpeed
So, yesterday I finally got my car after 3 weeks of waiting because the theft broke the s*** out of the car.

Today I was going to bring it back again because the did not cleaned properly the glass from inside the door.

I was driving this morning and after hitting a hole I heard a big screaming noise from the car. I pulled over and there was no problem. So i put the car in gear again and the car will not move.

I called the tow track and I towed to Mazda.

They called me and they said that the noise was the differential (that's what was that roaring noise i was hearing since i bought the car).

So they are going to order a new LSD and since I am there a new clutch.

The car as 32000 miles and I am the second owner.

Well thaks Metro Mazda of Ferndale :)

ChopstickHero said:
at least you got it covered under warranty! New LSD, new clutch!

Clucth I will pay it but that's ok.

I hope I have no more problems because I had the car 4 months and has been 1 already in the shop.

Bye

Hope yours doesn't end up like Daedelus' and blow up after another week or so. Then again he did go get a MAM block.....bastard. j/p

msp35 said:
Hope yours doesn't end up like Daedelus' and blow up after another week or so. Then again he did go get a MAM block.....bastard. j/p
I am afraid of modding my car because of the warranty. If I put a SMIC and pipes I do not want to risk any arguments.

For a car with this temper i need some insurance that if something happens Mazda will cover. I do not even want to install a filter.

Maybe I will do a smic and paint the endtank black to match the factory one and use the oem pipes.

We will see.

I am looking forward to drive with a new clutch and lsd since I always heard roaring noises from the engine and hard time shifting in warm weather.

Take care

ya replacing the LSD is a pain, the guy who had it before you probobly put it through its paces so it snapped over nothing when you had it.

My LSD has been making scary noises since forever, I am just waiting for mine to go. It's REALLY noisy in reverse with the wheels turned, and no I am not talking about the transmission whine... It sounds like metal rubbing together.

Mine is welded special so that it won't shear. But yes MSP LSD's are known to shear in half.

MSP #167 said:
omg that's like 3 or 4 this week.

I can't believe they break with just normal driving.

It may have broke DURING normal driving... but wheel hop and dumping the clutch and others are all very hard on that part and likely to have contributed to the eventual failure of it.

TurfBurn said:
It may have broke DURING normal driving... but wheel hop and dumping the clutch and others are all very hard on that part and likely to have contributed to the eventual failure of it.
I got my cad back today and the clutch is soft but the gear are kind of "rubberisch". The car is so much quieter because of the new LSD and I am very happy.

Unfortunaly once again there is a problem because I have an orrible rattling metallic noise coming from the exhaust or catalitic converter while I am driving that resonates under the shifter. I think the exhaust or hanger are loose or something.

I guess the car has to go back for service for 3rd time in 5 weeks.

I am a bit tired.....

there is a heat shield right next to the shifter where it comes out of the bottom.. and that can easily contact the catalytic... if they get anything wrong or bolt it up too close then you'll get rattles... but hang in there and soon it'll be all better! :)

Best of luck to you.

TurfBurn said:
there is a heat shield right next to the shifter where it comes out of the bottom.. and that can easily contact the catalytic... if they get anything wrong or bolt it up too close then you'll get rattles... but hang in there and soon it'll be all better! :)

Best of luck to you.
when i push the gas my exhasut moves and i hear the sound from the catalitic converter.
I used to hear that when there was LOTS of rain of the ground but they always told that everything was fine. I guess that was the same thing as now but now is more evident maybe because they touched something.

Go figure, everytime they do something something else break.

Do you guys felt the gera kind of rubberish when the car was new?

I guess it is just the way it drives

The gears do feel a little rubbery going in and out until you do kartboy bushings... once you do those things the shifting becomes night and day different.

TurfBurn said:
The gears do feel a little rubbery going in and out until you do kartboy bushings... once you do those things the shifting becomes night and day different.
Ater the new transmission the car feels like new.
I goes much better and I can finally hear the turbo whistling ad spooling

Today I also installed my new knob and boot.

I need to fix rattling, install kart boy to eliminate rubber movement, maybe Unichip or DSM afc if I can get over the fact that my warranty could be voided.

Thanks to all

Man this thread scares me. Im about to go on a 5000+mile trip and i dont want anything to happen(eekdance). I have 15000miles already.

Back