help with sub choice

tsunami

Contributor
:
mazda3 5 door
alright so i had the day off monday and went around to a couple stereo shops to listen to some subs to see what i want, was pretty much thinking a jl 8w7 or the new boston g5 10.... figure tweeter was my best bet since they carry both boston and jl... they didn't have either sub in stock or anything to compare it to really... and the dude i was talkin to was tryin to upsell me so bad on everything, wanted to know why i didn't want a clean sweep... he siad the best thing about them was the 8.5v pre outs, and they tell everyone they do an install for to get one...(sounds like a cash cow to me) i told him i had 9.5v with my loc and was all set thanks....he also quoted me 600$ for the 8w7 in the jl box. i went down the street to a local stereo shop (they carry jl and alpine) and he had a 10w7 i could listen to but with a 500w amp not the 300 i have, he told me that he would think the 300 would push the 10 just fine, i told him according the jls webssite they don't suggest using that lil power for the 10, that why i was lookin for the 8, though he told me 500 for the 8 in the jl box and 600 for the 10 (floor model 50 off) and lo and behold also tried to push the clean sweep on me, though his sellin point was the line in it offers... so since i didn't get to listen to either sub i was lookin for what do you guys think i should swing towards with 300w (jl so it is slightly over that i would think)

appreciate the help, and apologize for the length but i needed to b**** about the lack of a good stereo shop in the area...!!

Last edited:
its better to overpower then to underpower any subs, or any driver period. $50 off a display model that has probably been abused more then a little bit is crazy though. 8 and 9 volt preout mean nothing if the amp can't take it and you will either burrn or tar some sh*t up if it can't, even though you wont get all 8 volt until you hit max volume but still

9.5 volts means nothing in the real world, unless you are getting induced noise through the RCA's. 2-4 volts is plenty as long as you have decent RCA's.

they are probably getting a good comission or something for selling the cleansweeps. it's a sweet device, but does not warrant the price. my biggest complaint is that you have to use the cleansweep volume knob if the stock HU changes the EQ based on volume (most that have EQ's do). course if your stock HU does not have an EQ, the cleansweep is about $350 too much, since the only extra thing it offers is aux input.

Just come down and see me man. I am working sunday at Tweeter in Salem. You want an 8W7 in a custom box, you get it, simple as that.
I'll do what I can on the price but I am rather restricted these days from doing much. I hate it when people run into these friggen monkeys at Tweeter. Why do we hire them?

The clean sweep is pointless unless a head unit has built in volume sensitive EQ curves. I don't think the 3 does. We even have Manville Smith from JL Audio saying essentialy that about using one on a mazda 6. Its rather odd when the VP of marketing of the manufature says you don't need something but the sales guys say you do? :mad:

IF you are thinking of using the JL 300/2 for a 10W7, forget it. Its not just a matter of power. The W7's run single nominal impedance 3 ohm voice coil, but have a DC resistance of 2.78 . The JL amps are rated at 3 ohms stable when bridged but I hate to run an amp at its lowest possible impedance. Espedcialy to a W7 where EVERYONE over cranks the gain when going by JLs power recommendations. You could do it though.

I think you were right on track with the 8W7. The power will be right where JL suggest, although more would be better. If you can, grab a JL 500/1 for a 10W7 or even an 8 or pair of 8's. Bare in mind this is what I think is best for the system, not what I want to sell you. If it has to be the 300/2 powering a sub then go for either an 8W7 or a 10w6v2 or 12W6v2. Also, don't overlook the W3 series. A 300/2 and a 12W3 can be a nice match.

JL offers the 8W7 in a JL built box, not sure on the cost though. I might be able to use its price as an excuse to save you some $$$ on a custom box/W7 setup
http://www.jlaudio.com/enclosures/CLS108RGW7.html

Besides this, if you want something better then a LOC but not an unadjustable peice like the CleanSweep, look at audiocontrol. They have some very nice products in the EQS/EQX that are line drivers and have adjustable 1 or 1/2 octive EQ. I have the EQS that I am going to be using in my 6 eventualy.

On a seperate note, if you are going to be using the 2 300/2s and a 300/4 then I have a custom 3 JL amp mount that I made for my STi but never used. Its just birtch plywood and you can just glass it where ever you want it. It holds any 3 JL amps of the 300/2's foot print.

Last edited:
1sty said:
Just come down and see me man. I am working sunday at Tweeter in Salem. You want an 8W7 in a custom box, you get it, simple as that.
I'll do what I can on the price but I am rather restricted these days from doing much. I hate it when people run into these friggen monkeys at Tweeter. Why do we hire them?

do you have them in stock so i can hear it? thats pretty much what i was looking to do just to listen to the sub, and compare it to others as i haven't heard an 8w7 (or any 8 sub that i liked before for that matter)

1sty said:
I think you were right on track with the 8W7. The power will be right where JL suggest, although more would be better. If you can, grab a JL 500/1 for a 10W7 or even an 8 or pair of 8's. Bare in mind this is what I think is best for the system, not what I want to sell you. If it has to be the 300/2 powering a sub then go for either an 8W7 or a 10w6v2 or 12W6v2. Also, don't overlook the W3 series. A 300/2 and a 12W3 can be a nice match.

pretty much stickin with the 300/2 don't want to spend more money on amps i just want to listen to some music!! and since the distro/wiring/cabling/terminal peices i priced out was about 3bills plus a new sub i am stretchin my finances a bit....thats pretty much what i wanted to do last week, just listen to some different sub set ups, but like i said earlier every one was tryin to upsell me instead of just lettin me listen, i just walked out after a bit at both places, and checked out circuit city even but their product lines aren't what i am lookin for...

1sty said:
On a seperate note, if you are going to be using the 2 300/2s and a 300/4 then I have a custom 3 JL amp mount that I made for my STi but never used. Its just birtch plywood and you can just glass it where ever you want it. It holds any 3 JL amps of the 300/2's foot print.

got any pics and dimensions... am interested....

I don't think I have one in stock. I will check sunday and if I don't I will see if I can get one in. The problem is that our boards are Terrible. They suck up atleast 1/2 the power from any amp we have set up. Its rather funny, the JL 1000/1 can not only blow fuses but you get smoke :D. If I can get one, I will let you know. I'll see what I can dig up for a test box. The good news is that our Manchester store has 2 8w7's that are listed as being on display according to our computer. Just tell them to write it up under my number, 04725 :D

On display I have:
A 12W6v2
2 alpine type X 10"s
A ported type X 12"
2 JL 10w1s
A JL 12W3.

Last edited:
1sty said:
I don't think I have one in stock. I will check sunday and if I don't I will see if I can get one in. The problem is that our boards are Terrible. They suck up atleast 1/2 the power from any amp we have set up. Its rather funny, the JL 1000/1 can not only blow fuses but you get smoke :D. If I can get one, I will let you know. I'll see what I can dig up for a test box. The good news is that our Manchester store has 2 8w7's that are listed as being on display according to our computer. Just tell them to write it up under my number, 04725 :D

On display I have:
A 12W6v2
2 alpine type X 10"s
A ported type X 12"
2 JL 10w1s
A JL 12W3.

cool i may have to come check some stuff out but this weekend is probably out since its my BIRTHDAY!!! so i will prob be recoverin sunday.... possibly next weekend?

Back