Funny Tirerack review - at least to me...

Dimitrios

Contributor
:
2012 CWP MS3
Hahaha....funny review on Tirerack about the Kuhmo Ecsta ASX:

If you wondering about how these tires perform, then youll want to read my review. I drive a actual sports car that is capable of pushing the tires past their limits. I think that these tires have pretty good dry traction, they bite good and stay stuck in a stright line. If your a corner carver, LOOK ELSEWHERE. These are not tires for someone that like to speed through the curves. They have a significant amount of sidewall flex, and their limit is fairly low. They do have a nice ride, and are relatively quiet. As for performance in the rain, they also work pretty well there. No evidence of trying to hydroplain, they stop and hold good in wet conditions. So the verdict is, They are a good tire if you arent a spirited driver. They are comfortable, fairly quiet, and are a nice looking tire. BUT if performance is what your after there are others out there in the same price range that offer better performance, although it may be at a cost to comfort.

The actual "sports car" he/she drives?: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6.

I had to chuckle about taking an F-body through the twisties.....

Also, Tirerack reviewers kill me: EVERYONE is a spirited driver...

Dude, I know of several F-bodies that will DESTROY your little mazda in the corners....

Dan

Yeah, i know. I saw some tricked out IMPALAS running faster time than smaller imports. I know whats up.

Dimitrios said:
Hahaha....funny review on Tirerack about the Kuhmo Ecsta ASX:

If you wondering about how these tires perform, then youll want to read my review. I drive a actual sports car that is capable of pushing the tires past their limits. I think that these tires have pretty good dry traction, they bite good and stay stuck in a stright line. If your a corner carver, LOOK ELSEWHERE. These are not tires for someone that like to speed through the curves. They have a significant amount of sidewall flex, and their limit is fairly low. They do have a nice ride, and are relatively quiet. As for performance in the rain, they also work pretty well there. No evidence of trying to hydroplain, they stop and hold good in wet conditions. So the verdict is, They are a good tire if you arent a spirited driver. They are comfortable, fairly quiet, and are a nice looking tire. BUT if performance is what your after there are others out there in the same price range that offer better performance, although it may be at a cost to comfort.

The actual "sports car" he/she drives?: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6.

I had to chuckle about taking an F-body through the twisties.....

Also, Tirerack reviewers kill me: EVERYONE is a spirited driver...

hmm I used to own a 2000 T/A. Very fun to take through the twisties. That said, the p5 handles better in the twisties. However the T/A's extra 170 hp is evident when exiting turns :)

I know..nothing against F-bodies per se - they are formidable when well tuned and adjusted. I just personally don't think "Trans Am" when I think "sports car" (especially in the last generations when they got huge and bloated and the styling sucked ass IMHO).

That's more where I got the chuckle from..the "..I drive a actual sports car..." comment by the reviewer.....

I used to like the f-bodies. then I drove one.

end of story.

actually, I still like their sound, their balls, and looking at them from a distance. But, it's a GM.

Now, end of story.

Dimitrios said:
. I just personally don't think "Trans Am" when I think "sports car" (especially in the last generations when they got huge and bloated and the styling sucked ass IMHO).
QUOTE]

just for curiosity.. what are sports cars to you.. not trying to be sarcastic in anyway... you think of exotics?

No I don't think of exotics. Personally, exotics I don't care much for exotics either whats the point of driving a car for 2 hours on a 5 scheduled Sundays out of a year and store the thing away until youre old and decrepit?

I'll think of a CooperS, a Pinoz, S2K, Z (hell, even a 240Z), or an MX-5 (read: a drivers car) over a Camaro SS or WS6 Trans Am when "sports car" is mentioned. I hear Camaro or Trans Am, I think quarter mile drags all day (call it stereotyping the car(s) or their owners, but that's my matter of fact).

The F-bodies don't conjure images of a vehicle with well balanced road carving, nimble steering response and handling, crisp acceleration, and the "look and feel" (quality, styling, etc) of a "sports car" dominating straight line acceleration only - doesnt support the image. Also, it should be apples to apples stock trim vs. stock trim, not after some [modified] F-bodies will DESTROY, DESTROY, DESTROY!!! [my] little Mazda.. modifications are made. It should be a manufacturers competition, not an aftermarket one.

GM killed them off for good reason however, I do hope they come back into production, but to call them something more than what they actually are (or should be: pony cars or muscle cars), is a misconstrued use of the sports car term.

Last edited:
Back