"Finished" with my first attepts at fiberglassing...

kingvitamin

:
2001 MP3
I finally finished my first 2 fiberglass projects. It's not so bad once you get the hang of it. It is very time consuming. Anyhow, the sub box is for a 12" Infinity. I installed a carPC and made a custom dash/bezel for the 7" monitor. Still have some touch ups to do, but overall, I'm happy.

Attachments

• CIMG0997.JPG
    CIMG0997.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 389
  • CIMG0999.JPG
    CIMG0999.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 339
kingvitamin said:
I finally finished my first 2 fiberglass projects. It's not so bad once you get the hang of it. It is very time consuming. Anyhow, the sub box is for a 12" Infinity. I installed a carPC and made a custom dash/bezel for the 7" monitor. Still have some touch ups to do, but overall, I'm happy.

Crazy good. The dash bezel is more impressive, since you'll see it constantly and it's a part where poor fit will stick out like a sore thumb. The sub box is hidden away anyway.

Doug

Did you make a whole new bezel for the dash, or did you add onto the original one?

Actually, the bezel needs to be redone. It was an original bezel that I bought, cut to mold the LCD monitor screen into, and then bondo'ed. It looked great, except when it got ultra-hot in my car, it cracked a little. Needless to say I was pissed. I'm going to go with a full-on fiberglass molding this time around, with bondo-glass as a filler. It's much more durable. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it somes to this stuff, so I have to redo it.

As for the sub box, it's not covered in vinyl, it's spray on bed liner. Actually I'm surprised how nice it looks. Gives a great texture and is super durable once it cures fully. I was going to go with a glossy paint, but it was obvious that it was going to take A LOT more sanding to get a smooth enough surface to paint glossy. The bed liner conceals a lot of the imperfections.

It looks great for a first time. Ive dont quite a bit of fiberglass and that looks pretty good. Keep in mind, patience is a virtue when dealing with f/g as well as a strong arm to sand with

Good job for the first run. I had similar success with my first try in my Lancer. I'll be making one for my MSP some time in the future. It all depends on how motivated I get. I'll probably get around to it when I sell the Lancer and just get it out of the way.

Back