newbie: mods and upgrades

m_f_v_b

:
2003.5 mazdaspeed protege, titanium grey
hello everyone,
i'm new to this forum thingy, but i've had my msp for almost 3 years now...and i've yet to do anything to it as far as upgrades or mods...any suggestions? (aside from asthetics, dont care much for looks, car looks good as is)...i'm thinking the skunk upgrade for the ECU, a full cat back exhaust, and turning up my boost from 6psi to 10 or 12.5 psi...right now im looking at BOV's...(i'm sure this has been asked a million times...but...)anyone have a suggestion on what type of BOV i can get for my car...if so, what are the pros (other than the psst! sound) and cons???

first off, i don't know what the hell the skunk ecu is. if you're needing some engine management, check out the Split Second Air Fuel Controller. PM DSMConvert or visit www.airflowlogistics.com to pick one up.

second, a 'full catback' won't do very much, and it especially won't let you safely up the boost. you need to rid yourself of the stock cats. check out www.corksport.com for their power series exhaust system, and also www.**********.com for the perrin exhaust system. vibrant performance and mental addiction also make high quality exhaust components.

don't up the boost that high (the safest highest boost would be around 10, and that's with supporting mods). to go that high safely, you'd need a bigger intercooler (aka a front mount) from perrin, or www.**************************.com, or various others.

read around the board, and welcome.

Welcome.

Don't touch the boost until you've allowed your engine/turbo to breathe.

yeah what's this skunk ecu? skunk as in skunk2? they only make stuff for hondas.

as for a bov, you really don't need one at this point. it would be best to get hardpipes first, and then a bov to go with that. but if you want good info on bovs, www.blowoffvalves.com is a good place to start.

or just go all out and get a fmic (front mount intercooler) and put the blow off valve on there.

Back