Oil Pressure/Turbo Return Line???

vodapas77

:
Nada Mazda :( 2001 Chevy Silverado
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried splicing in (with a T-fitting) the oil pressure gauge sensor into the oil return line from the turbo. On the MSP there is about 3-4" section of hard line that looks like it would be perfect to "T" into.

My thinking is that it would be the ideal place for it because a drop in pressure there would be a sure sign that your turbo was no longer getting a good flow of oil and could avert a disaster.

Of course there are the negatives. First unless the fitting was done with a lot of care it would probably leak. Additionally I'm not sure if I wouldn't end up with a false reading since I am sure the oil pressure is higher there than it would be by the sending unit where most people place them.

As of right now I have everything from the turbo mani. to the cat back portion of the exhaust removed along with the radiator. So, I've got all kinds of room to work with. If I'm gonna do this, I'll need to do it now. So, I figured I'd get everyone's input while I've got it all apart.

Thanks,

Lang

Is there enough pressure there to get a good reading? Are you thinking of running 2 pressure gauges?
Remember the oil will be frothy post turbo and kind of tricles down the return line into the sump, it doesn't have the pressure like the feed line is. Might be better to place it in the feed line...

p5T said:
Is there enough pressure there to get a good reading? Are you thinking of running 2 pressure gauges?
Remember the oil will be frothy post turbo and kind of tricles down the return line into the sump, it doesn't have the pressure like the feed line is. Might be better to place it in the feed line...

Good point. I hadn't even thought about the condition of the oil following a spin through the turbo's bearings. Probably wouldn't be worth much of a reading. Unfortunately, the feed line isn't a hard metal line so that option's out. Guess I just better go with plan A. thanks for the input. Probably just saved me a big mess and a lot of work.

Back