Rear door rattle!! UGH!

:
Black Mica P5
So, I have 6.5"s in my rear doors of the p5. And just one of them (passenger side) rattles the door panel when the bass hits. It's almost as if the surround of the speaker is hitting the panel and doing this. When I remove the door panel or push it in with my hand when on, everything sounds just fine.

Do I maybe need to shave part of the interior of the door panel to alleviate this? It's just really hard to tell what is hitting once the door panel is back in place. Maybe someone's had a similar prob.?

theice said:
So, I have 6.5"s in my rear doors of the p5. And just one of them (passenger side) rattles the door panel when the bass hits. It's almost as if the surround of the speaker is hitting the panel and doing this.

When you say "almost sounds like it's hitting the panel," that is the key Q. I'd guess it's simply the bass rattling the door. Have you tried tucking some cardboard between points on the speaker and panels?

Doug

hmm i have a similar problem with my 6"`s up front. i can't really figure it out.. might be just rattling the plastic of the door panel. i don't have any speakers in the back so i dont know how much clearance is back there..... does it seem like it could possibly be hitting the grate on the door panel at full excursion? try turning all the lights off in the car and shining a flashlight in there. *shrug*

SP33D said:
does it seem like it could possibly be hitting the grate on the door panel at full excursion?
I do believe this is the culprit. perhaps some weather stripping type rubber around the outside of the speaker could work...? (scratch)

Umm, did you bychance trim back the "ring" that extends back from the panel side? the whole deal with going to 6.5's in the back isthat that ring is designed for a 6" speaker. therefor, especially with larger 6.5's you're definately going to be hitting either surround or cone. immediately go remedy this it is something that will eat up your speakers.

Poseur said:
Umm, did you bychance trim back the "ring" that extends back from the panel side? the whole deal with going to 6.5's in the back isthat that ring is designed for a 6" speaker. therefor, especially with larger 6.5's you're definately going to be hitting either surround or cone. immediately go remedy this it is something that will eat up your speakers.
This was my first thought also. If you didn't remove the 1/2" piece of surround around the speaker opening on the panel, you will definitly hear rattling. Also check to make sure all the clips snapped into place correctly.

Poseur said:
Yes, I believe this to be the case. What should I trim that with?

well u know how the door panel has that plastic oval edge thing that sticks out towards the speaker..... i already dremeled that off. try doing that and see what happens. because the speaker is a circle which extends passed part of the sides of that oval thing.. it might be hitting that.

dremel tool, knife, whatever you've got its nothing super thick, I cut mine up front with my pocket knife (granted it's a rather sturdy knife) Dremel would be the best bet but don't be limited or scared, it's just a thin plastic ring, heck you might be able to even snap it off with pliers. Just make sure to do it soon before you chew up your speakers.

I guess I was hoping I needed a Dremmel anyways as I want to do the VTCS removal. Now, I just need to convince the old lady that we need one.

Poseur,
I saw in your sig that you've changed out you lights in the dash to blue & red led's. How's that looking and what were you able to change to blue? I wanted to change as much as I could to blue, but I ended up only changing my turn signals.

dashlights no, ac/defrost yes. those are a matter of checking the how-to section for zapwizards how-to on it. we did my g/f's with UV, it's the coolest eerie purpley glow...

Back