A/C only works in position 1 & 4

I payed $35 I think for the new switch and that did not fix it at all. New unit $42.00 Salvage Yard

clownphish said:
Mine just died yesterday after doing 1 & 4 for a couple months. (argh) I thought we could just buy the switch, not the whole unit. Hubby took it out and the thing is melted. :rolleyes:

trbomp5 said:
off topic, but whoever the woman in your sig pic is clownphish, is ummmmm really, really hot. WOW.

Ok got that out of my system.
You mean my avatar? B/c the only person in my sig is my bro. (whip)

Anyway, I wish I knew who that chick was, I swiped the pic off msnbc.com, just a generic shot for summer fashions. Apparently she's a hit w/the fellas, you're the second one to comment on it.

shane02pro5 said:
I payed $35 I think for the new switch and that did not fix it at all. New unit $42.00 Salvage Yard
(argh) We already ordered the switch! Was yours melted in any way? Anybody else experience the same thing?

Mine was not melted, just thought that was the source of the problem not clicking all the way into a fan speed for the a/c to get a good signal.

One thing now that I think about it. When I installed my new control unit and connected the plug to the fan switch one of the pins in the connector were pushed through the back so my ground wire was not making good contact. I burned my finger when I tried to unplug the unit. Just check when you plug it in and make sure none of the pin push through and are making contact.
clownphish said:
(argh) We already ordered the switch! Was yours melted in any way? Anybody else experience the same thing?

Clownfish, you just changed the switch and it solved your problem, or did you guys replace the whole unit below the fan switch itself? Just wondering cuz mine is acting-up again.

Part #

Is there a specific part # that I need when calling salvage yards?

I have the same prob and wanna get it fixed soon, this miami heat is cooking me like a potato

No part number, just get one from an 03 Protege (all the same LX MP3 P5 MZSPD) and know what color illumination you need Amber or Green.

Mr Magnum said:
Is there a specific part # that I need when calling salvage yards?

I have the same prob and wanna get it fixed soon, this miami heat is cooking me like a potato

ssmp5 said:
Clownfish, you just changed the switch and it solved your problem, or did you guys replace the whole unit below the fan switch itself? Just wondering cuz mine is acting-up again.
Yeah, we just changed the switch and thusfar it's been back to normal (knock on wood). The P/N, desc and price for the AC switch we got is:

LB83-61-200A HEATER SWITCH $23.60

Just a note, the hubby took it apart and saw that this specific switch was corrupt. I can't guarantee the same result for yours.

i just wanted to let everyone know that my a/c works again, at least for now. heres a run down of what i did:

1) disassemble dash controls
-unclip the temperature and fan location wires
-pull off surround
-disconnect the two wire harnesses
-remove 4 screws holding controls to surround
2) remove the front of the control unit, you will have to pop off the knobs, i used a plastic knife
3) remove orange plastic cover thingy.
4) now this is where my experience may differ from yours, there was a white plastic nut boucing around inside the unit when i took it apart, after examining the system i determined that it was supposed to be holding the fan speed switch in place, and was not. because of this, i am pretty sure i was getting a bad ground in the connection. i came to this conclusion because when i held the fan speed switch in my hand it worked perfectly.
4) so i re-installed the nut, put everything back together, and it works. every once in a while when i switch speeds, the light flicks for the 1/4 second during the speed change, but it works on all 4 speeds for now.

Here is what I've found...

New part numbers listed on TSB (just for reference)
BL8F-61-190D (amber)
BL8W-61-190F (green)
does anyone have the part number for the red switch for the P5s?

at my local Mazda dealer $272.84

at Trussville Mazda $187.98 (plus whatever shipping will be)
Their parts number is 1-800-240-2121

Marshall said they don't have any in stock but there are plenty shown available by Mazda.

I will probably be going this route just to be sure the problem is fixed.

Dave

Last edited:
Back