A/C only works in position 1 & 4

shane02pro5 said:
Well my salvaged 03 control unit for $42.00 not only fixed my a/c but also my idle surging. Apparently in my case anyway the short or arcing was effecting my whole electrical system. No more drops in idle when my power steering surges or when my bass hits. I am sure I am jinxing (how do you spell that?) myself, but I just had to post after pulling apart everything. Egr valve, throttlebody, power steering pump, electrical tested and or cleaned all sensors. Probably 20 cans of carb. cleaner over the past 1-1/2 years since my Hiboost install. Maybe I just got lucky.
Tell the world!!!

hey do you have any pics of the unit your talkin about? i plan on goin to a junk yard thursday to look for a protege a/c unit thingy to replace mine. i just wanna know EXACTLY what im lookin for. thanks

i had the problem of it not working in the 3rd position...but since i changed the led bulbs in the a/c controls, i had to go back and switch out all the bulbs back to stock...but the funny thing is that when i brought it do the dealership, they couldnt reproduce the problem...hell, i couldnt even reproduce it when they took me for a test drive...but ever since, its been fine...now i just need to put back the leds that i changed out and hope it stays that way...

MP3Architect said:
hey do you have any pics of the unit your talkin about? i plan on goin to a junk yard thursday to look for a protege a/c unit thingy to replace mine. i just wanna know EXACTLY what im lookin for. thanks

It is what the knobs are attached to.
Undo the bike brake type cables from the control unit to either side of the center console under the dash attached to the a/c unit and blower thing. Then pop out the center console by pushing the vents downward and grab the ledge and pop out the top then the bottom. Disconnect the 3 connectors from it and pull it out. Be care if the sharp fastener is still attached to either cable. There are 4 screw that attach the control unit to the panel. Pop them out and that's it.

I have a MP3 but have the same problem, i remember that 2 and 3 started working again after i took apart the center console to install blue leds, but stopped working again later, maybe i should open it up again and clean it up, ill let you know.

Those of you who want a (possible) cheap solution, help me out; I'm pretty sure I figured out how to fix my situation, but I need to collect some data from other people who are still using all stock components.

If someone could, I need voltage readouts from Contact D on the HVAC connector harness. It is a BLUE/YELLOW wire.

Please measure the following with CAR RUNNING:
Fan Switch OFF
Position 1
Position 2
Position 3
Position 4

Please post your results here, or better yet, PM me.
Thanks.

Dex, I'll do that tonight. Do you want them checked with the A/C on or off?

Dexter said:
Those of you who want a (possible) cheap solution, help me out; I'm pretty sure I figured out how to fix my situation, but I need to collect some data from other people who are still using all stock components.

If someone could, I need voltage readouts from Contact D on the HVAC connector harness. It is a BLUE/YELLOW wire.

Fan Switch OFF
Position 1
Position 2
Position 3
Position 4

Thanks.

dex, I'll have to get that for you tommarow, I just got home from having to go work on my sisters van, and its midnight here, got to be to work in 6 hours

yeah, i replaced the fanswitch with relays, and it threw off the hvac board. I am using a potentiometer on that BLUE/YELLOW wire as a voltage divider, because my voltages were up and over spec. I'm not sure what the case will be with everyone's stock parts.

Dexter said:

Fan Switch OFF
Position 1
Position 2
Position 3
Position 4

Thanks.

*bump*

i'd really like to help you guys out. i did fix mine with a 5k pot on the A/C signal line. I don't know what a stock HVAC system will be reporting (im assuming undervoltage...perhaps a charge pump would be required for you guys, instead of a voltage divider like for me.)

let me know, i really hate to see you guys having to go buy whole new HVAC control boards when a couple dollar circuit can probably fix this.

Do you need readings from someone with a properly functioning HVAC control board? And will these be invalidated since I have a UDP? I know my 12v voltage is down, it was like 14 before and now I think just over 12 when idling.

I might be able to get you the numbers you need once I get back to my parent's house where my multimeter is right now. If I remember I should have it by Sunday.

Mine just died yesterday after doing 1 & 4 for a couple months. (argh) I thought we could just buy the switch, not the whole unit. Hubby took it out and the thing is melted. :rolleyes:

clownphish said:
Mine just died yesterday after doing 1 & 4 for a couple months. (argh) I thought we could just buy the switch, not the whole unit. Hubby took it out and the thing is melted. :rolleyes:

off topic, but whoever the woman in your sig pic is clownphish, is ummmmm really, really hot. WOW.

Ok got that out of my system.

Back