A/C only works in position 1 & 4

Little Beavis said:
Do they still cover this when the warranty has expired?

Don't know, my cars at the dealer as we speak. They will get to it around noon and I'll let everyone know what they say.

**** THE DEALERSHIPS!

I just got a call from them and they said that it needs a new resister pack (or something like that) on the A/C control unit and would need a new one. Duh, I knew that. Said it would be $160. I said what about the TSB or the warranty? He said it expired on 9-04. What about the TSB i said? Not for this he said. So i said forget it, i can get the part for like $30-$40 used.

He said ok, but there will be a $40 check out fee. WTF!! Like I needed to pay you $40 to tell me what i already knew! I said give me a break, I called you guys to see if this could be fixed under warranty. You said bring it in and we'll let you know. You could have just pulled the VIN and told me that it wouldnt be fixed under warranty in like 3 seconds. **** them! I'm going to go in and b****. There is no way I'm paying them $40 to tell me what I already ******* know.

Last edited:
Resistor pack on the A/C? There is no resistor pack on the actual unit itself. There is one in the system to control how hard the blower blows...hmm.

Dexter said:
Resistor pack on the A/C? There is no resistor pack on the actual unit itself. There is one in the system to control how hard the blower blows...hmm.

Resister something. I'm not sure now. As soon as he said i had to pay them $40 for nothing i got mad, and kind of forgot what he said it was. I did find the TSB on it though:

MT000003895

Model Starting S/N Ending S/N
2001 PROTEGE 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2002 PROTEGE 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2003 PROTEGE 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ

Symptoms and Conditions
Customer may experience A/C switch light going out or blinking and warm air from vents when operating blower motor in the number 2 position for long periods of time.

Repair Procedure
Request specific fan speed during failure and note in H/L file.

If condition only occurred in the #2 fan speed, condition may be the result of a logic error within the heater control print board.

The logic of the print board was changed by increasing the check voltage threshold for A/C compressor engagement with the blower motor speed set in the #2 position from 1.0V to approximately 2.0V

Date of Mass Production Change
December 02, 2002
Beginning VIN:
Protege N Protege5 JM1BJ2***3*150990
New Part Numbers:
(DX N LX Green) BL8F-61-190D
(ES Amber) BL8W-61-190F

If condition occurred in another fan speed, have dealer inspect system connections, and confirm with customer about air flow from vents. condition may be the result of system freeze up. if so please note in H/L file subject line.

trbomp5 said:
(help) My A/C only works in position 1 and 4. In 2 and 3 the light goes out.....QUOTE]

I've never heard of positions 1,4,2 and 3????? (dunno)
Have you tried 69? That always seems to work for me (2thumbs)

Pro5Monkey said:
trbomp5 said:
(help) My A/C only works in position 1 and 4. In 2 and 3 the light goes out.....QUOTE]

I've never heard of positions 1,4,2 and 3????? (dunno)
Have you tried 69? That always seems to work for me (2thumbs)

Ya that one works just fine, I should have just stuck with that one!

SkinnyJoint said:
if yours is an 02 wouldnt it be out of warranty anywayz? unless you bought an extended one which why would u do that on a salvage?

ummm not trying to be a dick here but you should have known your car was out of warranty. even if you had an 02.5 it expired end of may as mine did. and i even brought this up to you before, you should of had them check it while you were on the lot before you dropped it off!

SkinnyJoint said:
ummm not trying to be a dick here but you should have known your car was out of warranty. even if you had an 02.5 it expired end of may as mine did. and i even brought this up to you before, you should of had them check it while you were on the lot before you dropped it off!
I dropped it off like 3 hours before they opened.

How it went was, I called them tuesday and said this is my problem, I know whats broke, is it covered under a TSB or warranty? He said bring it in and we'll find out for you. So he sets me up for an appt today at like 2:00.

They were only supposed to be telling me if it was covered under warranty. I told them I already knew what the problem was, so they can take this $40 "check out fee" and cram it up there ass. I'm not gonna pay it. I even offered to give them the vin over the phone to see if it would be covered, and he said just bring it in to be sure.

I told him do you really think i needed you to do anything other than tell me its under warranty or not? Look at my car. There is hardly anything left stock on it from the totally handmade turbo, to the stereo, to the custom suspension tie bars all made by me. I didnt even want you guys touching it anyways.

Last edited:
brealmp3 said:
So when are they suppose to give you an answer?

When I pick it up I'm gonna get out of the "check out fee" They already answered the part about the warranty or it being fixed under a TSB or recall. The answer was a big fat no.

they are dicks. They said that my problem is not the TSB problem. They said on the invoice that "blower not working on fan speed 3"

thats not what the problem was at all. The fan blows in all speeds dumbasses. its the A/C that stops blowing cold in positions 2 & 3. I wish I would have seen that on the invoice when Ii was there.

Their cure for their problem of the blower not blowing in fan speed 3 was to replace a resister in the blower control, for $160. I hate them. I'm never going there again. Now i know why i have never have before either. Then they had the nerve to try to kiss my ass talking about how cool my car is, who made my turbo, who did my stereo, etc. I said I did it all myself. No kits. From scratch. Thats why I didnt need you hacks to tell me what was wrong with my car. Just tell me if its under warranty or a TSB or not. The guy was even trying to walk out with me to ask about my bike. "Is it pretty fast?" Yes. Go away.

The TSB is half correct. Obviously the problem is a little different than the TSB says, but they should use some ******* sense and take a look at the problem.

Replacing the resistor pack for the blower speed wont do much. I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem. I've been messing on and off with the Protege HVAC for at least a year now. I've gone through four HVAC contol units, (two MSP, 01 MP3 and 02 DX). I am pretty sure the control board itself is the issue.

Heres the thing:
I compared all my boards I have on hand. They all look the same. I checked each resistor value and they are all the same, so whateve they changed, appears to be inside a custom programmed chip. The board manufacturer is U-Shin and they actually make the entire unit for Mazda. Not sure where to go from here, like i said, i have the same problem due to me not using the stock fanswitch and replacing it with relays. The resistance of the fan switch must play some role in this whole thing. I have NO idea why they made it like this...seems overly complicated...

on that TSB that we both seen (dex) it says that they problem should only be in the #2 position. Mine and most others is in the 2 & 3 position. Thats there little loop hole probably.

I was thinking... my fan works just fine in all speeds. Its just the a/c cutting out in the #2 & 3. Do you think you could figure out where the a/c switch sends its signal to the the a/c and just straight wire it so the a/c is either on or off. Fan speed and vent position should have nothing to do with the a/c being on or off.

There is a wire that goes to the ECU that you can ground (or +12V, i cant remember...dont take my word for it...) and it should turn on the A/C, BUT I think the control board may override this....not sure...i gotta dig up some of the bad wiring diagrams.

I took my panel apart last night and cleaned the board with electric cleaner and also took the fan switch apart and cleaned all the crap out of it. Wa-la, now my sheeeet works again!! It wasn't that hard to take the whole control unit apart and it only took about 45 min. start to finish. You guys might want to try it before wasting money on another board.

ssmp5 said:
I took my panel apart last night and cleaned the board with electric cleaner and also took the fan switch apart and cleaned all the crap out of it. Wa-la, now my sheeeet works again!! It wasn't that hard to take the whole control unit apart and it only took about 45 min. start to finish. You guys might want to try it before wasting money on another board.

I'll try it. cant hurt!

Dexter said:
There is a wire that goes to the ECU that you can ground (or +12V, i cant remember...dont take my word for it...) and it should turn on the A/C, BUT I think the control board may override this....not sure...i gotta dig up some of the bad wiring diagrams.

Cool, let me know what you find

When you get to the bottum of the control board one of the cables is in there good. I didn't take mine out, I just lifted it up and pulled the circiut board cover out from underneath it. You'll see what I mean when you get to it.

would there be a problem if they noticed that i re-wired my fog-lights? I'm not sure how they are with a customer fuking around with the electrical

Well my salvaged 03 control unit for $42.00 not only fixed my a/c but also my idle surging. Apparently in my case anyway the short or arcing was effecting my whole electrical system. No more drops in idle when my power steering surges or when my bass hits. I am sure I am jinxing (how do you spell that?) myself, but I just had to post after pulling apart everything. Egr valve, throttlebody, power steering pump, electrical tested and or cleaned all sensors. Probably 20 cans of carb. cleaner over the past 1-1/2 years since my Hiboost install. Maybe I just got lucky.
Tell the world!!!

Back