75K and going stronger than ever.

Mike R

Contributor
Rolled over 75K on the 5 today. The car is 25 months old. It's been running better than ever since I did the VTCS removal, the MPG is up a bit and it's just still so much fun to drive. I'm now averaging 35 MPG. The power is so much better with the intake manifold mod. Going back to the stock wheels that aren't bent and that a shod with 205/50/16 Azenis made the ride and handling much better. The ride is great with the tall tires, and the acceleration is still very good. The handling wasn't compromised either.

(drive) Yay for the 5.

(thumb) I had 72K miles on my P5 when i sold her......she was holding strong too :D

i think i drive mine till it fall's apart on me
s*** i put so many mod's it hurt my feeling selling it!

good job on the mile's i'm almost at 61thousand

Vtcs?

What is a VTCS and do I have one on my LX? Sorry, I've asked before in a thread but didn't get a response. I'm at 60K miles; is there any particular age when that screw comes loose? And from what I've gathered, it only seldom happens? Or only have a certain mod? Thanks!

mike,

I hit 70,000 about 2 weeks ago and i also just put on my coilovers and my 18's and love it!!

Charles

Ps. I talked to brook with the red one that works in the russell building yesterday and he is going to order his coilovers maybe next week!!

SciFiMan said:
What is a VTCS and do I have one on my LX? Sorry, I've asked before in a thread but didn't get a response. I'm at 60K miles; is there any particular age when that screw comes loose? And from what I've gathered, it only seldom happens? Or only have a certain mod? Thanks!

u r probably fine, mine came off at 17k miles

SciFiMan, I'm pretty sure you have VTCS, since the MP3 is the only one I know of that doesn't have it. Both the P5 and MSP have it, so i'm assuming your LX has it.

VTCS stands for Variable Tumbler Control System, or something like that. It has four butterflies, one inside of each runner of your intake manifold. The butterflies are perpindicular to the airflow when your car is cold to help disrupt the air/fuel mixture. It's basically to help emissions when the car is cold. You can remove it to help increase air flow.

Here is the link from when I removed my VTCS.
www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87178

Last edited:
I just realized that the link I posted doesn't actually show the VTCS system, since those pictures were taken after I removed it. But, if you look at the last picture, that is where the VTCS would be. There would be a metal butterfly in each one of the 4 holes.

Check for a how-to by FlatBlack. He has lots of pics and good info.

VTCS MUST GO! Lol.

Charles, I'll have to keep my eye for your car! With those 18's just watch out for the potholes!

Mine 2003 P5 just turned 80,000 miles today. Did a 75k miles service and did a ECU re-programming because I had rough idle. The car is still running fine, that ECU thingy is the only thing I did to the P5 in terms of repairing. Otherwise, my little silver wagon is running just as the day I brought it home a week before thanksgiving day 2002.

P5 rules!

wow, I have 38k miles on my 03 and I thought I thats alot. Anyway, does the VCTS help increase high end horsepower or just for better drivability? Cause p5s engine seems to run out of breath at above 5k rpm.

Back