How To - Timing The Motor

Brian MP5T

Banned
Contributor
:
MP5T / 944
I was PMed about how to time the Protege today. Here is the reply, I just posted it here as well so you all could refer to it as well.

GEAR%20-%20(4).jpg

You have to make sure that all three timing marks line up. There is one on the crank pulley as well. There should be a series of lines and numbers on a raised wedge of plastic near the bottom of the motor, it might be dificult to see as you have to look down where the mess of belts are. There is a dash line betwen the two belts on the crank pulley. Use you hand or a long wrench that is... s***, I think it's like a 19 or 22mm, it's rather large.

Use the crank pulley to rotate the engine so the marks line up on the zero. That is called "Top Dead Center" or TDC. That means that the #1 Piston is at the Top of the stroke.

Next, you have to make sure that the cam gears are timed properly. You notice that there are "L" shaped holes on the inside of the gear. These are for the dowel pins on the cams. When the crank is at TDC, both of the Dowel Pins on the cams are supposed to be at the top, like 12:00 position. Next, make sure that the gear are on properly.

The left gear on the intake side should have the dowel pin in the groove that would make a "J" shape, top down to left so the mark near the "I" on the stock gear is facing the other gear.

The other gear (Ex) makes a "L" shape, from top to right so the mark near the "E" faces the intake gear.

The Belt should naturally want to go on with everything lined up like this.

Make sure the tensioner spring was put on corectly or it would just jump a tooth and go out of timing.

It's important to line everything up because the cam position sensor reads those stupid magnets that are attached to the gear to decide uppon timing and spark and fuel delivery... Kinna important functions that could mess s*** up.

Reference: http://protege5.ugly.net/

01-10 Mechanical (FS)

01-10b8 Timing Belt

It was more for those who were going to do it anyway.. :(

This should be done by someone who knows what they are doing...

Can timing get thrown off without ever touching the belt or gears? Could it give a bad idle if it were off a little bit, or would the symptoms be much worse.

Thanks Brian for outlining this process.
Can you help me understand a few things I am confused about?

Brian MP5T said:
The left gear on the intake side should have the dowel pin in the groove that would make a "J" shape, top down to left so the mark near the "I" on the stock gear is facing the other gear.

The other gear (Ex) makes a "L" shape, from top to right so the mark near the "E" faces the intake gear.

I am having difficulty visualizing this...
I get the J and L shapes from the pics in your 1st post
But the orientation of the I and E are confusing me.

Make sure the tensioner spring was put on corectly or it would just jump a tooth and go out of timing.

Any recommendation on how not to screw this up?

I am checking in the cam install thread about the marking of the gears and belt. (Since I am planning an install:D )
And trying to figure out the right way/position to secure the gears(?)
There is mention of a tool for this or using pliers, but I'm not 100% sure what is being secured in place or why.

Again thanks for another great contribution for the community.

Crazee D said:
I am having difficulty visualizing this...
I get the J and L shapes from the pics in your 1st post
But the orientation of the I and E are confusing me.
Basically, if you get the inside lined up on both to make the J (Intake) and L (Ex), you will see two marks on the outside edge on each closest to the other that will line up.. Those are the timing marks that have to be in alignment..

The tensioner... make sure that the spring goes on after the belt is on and has been rotated a bit, it will require small end pliers.

There is a spot for an allen key on it, that is designed to allow you to take up alot of slack and manually move the tensioner. It is an "Excentric Tensioner". It is off center and rotating it makes it tighter or slacker.

Awesome! Thank you!

Can the marks be seen in the pics?

Any thoughts on keeping the gears fixed in place?

with practice, i've gotten timing on engine in as fast as 3 minutes

takes alot of practice tho, and by the way...it is doable with the car on the engine and only one person doing it.

tip: to rotate the engine as to have it on TDC, if the engine is in the car, lift the passenger side tire off the floor, shift into 3rd gear, and rotate the tires fordward, either do TDC manually (by inserting a rod where the sparkplug is and wtaching come up and down, TDC will be when the rod hits the top, stops, and the comes down...since this is done very slowly, it'll stop for quite a bit...but on the engine this is done in maybe nanoseconds....TDC would be the middle when the rod inside the sparkplug stays still....)
another way would be to look at the underdrive pulley, it has a little yellow mark on it, and there is a segment that has little lines, it kinda looks like a measuring tape...the first one that say T would be TDC, and then you retard timing by degres if you use the other lines before the T.....on my mazdaspeed, when i removed it the first time, the line was right at T, meaning it was timed at TDC. probably since these cars use electronic timming adjusting.

sorry for the thread jack

Back