three knocks at startup

ebsalem

Hi gang, I'm sure this is obvious to many of you.

Sometimes my stock MSP after sitting overnight will 'knock' three or four times as soon as the engine fires. Only happens a few days a week, might happen less frequently after an oil change (mobil15-30). Doesn't matter if it's winter or summer. The car lives outside.

It's sounds "kind-of" like a rod but since it is irregular and stops after just a few 'knocks' I wonder.

BTW I'm very familiar with rod knock having owned a couple ACR Neons :(

Car has 53k miles, daily driver kid hauler, not dragged, not pushed, regular oil changes. Sound has been going on for over a year/20k miles.

thanks,
e

Isnt that the VTCS or VTSC or whatever the hell it is called?
ebsalem said:
Hi gang, I'm sure this is obvious to many of you.

Sometimes my stock MSP after sitting overnight will 'knock' three or four times as soon as the engine fires. Only happens a few days a week, might happen less frequently after an oil change (mobil15-30). Doesn't matter if it's winter or summer. The car lives outside.

It's sounds "kind-of" like a rod but since it is irregular and stops after just a few 'knocks' I wonder.

BTW I'm very familiar with rod knock having owned a couple ACR Neons :(

Car has 53k miles, daily driver kid hauler, not dragged, not pushed, regular oil changes. Sound has been going on for over a year/20k miles.

thanks,
e

Could it just be doing it because it takes just a sec for the oil to get to the valvetrain? Are you runing dino oil or synthetic?

Back