Wow... Didn't expect this to happen!

ONRAILS

:
06 Mazdaspeed 6
So, I'm doing my daily commute to downtown Baltimore where I work and suddenly my steering feels sluggish. I'm thinking, damn a flat right on a overpass where there is not much room to work. I put the hazards on and pull over. Look at all the tires, and they are fine. So I pop the hood and to my surprise... the belt that's on the ac compressor and power steering is not only off, but it's shredded! wtf! So luckly the car is still driveable... at least I hope it is. Basically I don't have power steering or AC. Couple questions...

It should be ok to drive the car like that right? I will only drive back home this evening and stop at autozone to buy the belt.

I didn't get a chance to look at it much but is it pretty easy to put the belt on? Or should I just take it in to a shop or dealership?

Thanks!

That sucks! You should be fine making to the parts store. How many miles did you have on the original belts? Pick up a spare set while your at the store to keep in your trunk.

I have 33k miles on the car. That's a good idea... gonna pick up two.

DAWIV said:
That sucks! You should be fine making to the parts store. How many miles did you have on the original belts? Pick up a spare set while your at the store to keep in your trunk.

Hmm... maybe I should call. Although, I haven't been (and not gonna be) for the 30k mile check up.

Lisakay said:
would that be something covered under warranty?

ONRAILS said:
Hmm... maybe I should call. Although, I haven't been (and not gonna be) for the 30k mile check up.
i just hit 30k also.. the dealership here quoted me 490 for it! (and then i'd get 15% off for the car club).. I picked up the list of what they do... 90 percent of it is a joke..

you are just totally worked over about this arent you :)

Lisakay said:
i just hit 30k also.. the dealership here quoted me 490 for it! (and then i'd get 15% off for the car club).. I picked up the list of what they do... 90 percent of it is a joke..

$9.99 for the belt at Autozone. Now, how difficult is the installation? Should be just the bolt on top where the power steering wheel is, losen that, put the belt on, and tighten... right? Anyone ever did it before?

Just called the dealership, and they said it is under warranty. But I'd have to drop it off for the day, and get a rental... blah blah. Sound like too much of a hassle for a 5 min job. Plus my car isn't (boom07) heavily modified.

ONRAILS said:
$9.99 for the belt at Autozone. Now, how difficult is the installation? Should be just the bolt on top where the power steering wheel is, losen that, put the belt on, and tighten... right? Anyone ever did it before?

hey.. free warranty work! I'd have them do it! I had 'em replace burnt out headlights before.. lol

Wait wait, so it's ok to drive without this belt? I should give it a try. I thought I read that the oil pump was connected to that belt, that's why I haven't tried it. I didn't see a pulley for the oil belt when I did my UDP install though, maybe it shares a pulley?

I was going to take the belt off to see if there was any noticeable performance increase; I'm bored.

One on my belts was slightly off twice.

First time the mechanic just had me drive around back and he put it back on while the car was running. Second time I left the car at Mazda. Definitely warrantied.

Same thing happened to me not that long ago.

My dealer did not cover it and no dealer should, remember a belt is a wear and tear item like brakes they won't cover it.

Back