2003.5 Titanium grey Mazdaspeed Protege with foglights - nice!

Grimace

I did a quick "poor-man's photoshop" (read: Microsoft paint) job on this picture from SEMA, and added the foglights from a pic of a 2003 Protege.
I like! It really transforms the front end. Much better IMHO. What does everyone else think? It couldn't be that hard to do if the 2003.5's don't come with foglights.

Now the million dollar question (but first a brief background). I know I can get a 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege; Avante Mazda has 4 arriving imminently. It will be a financial stretch, but I am pretty sure I can cover the payments (99% sure).
I am also sure that I will be more financially comfortable if I wait until later in 2003 (summertime) to buy a new car. In addition I will then have underground parking, instead of an open lot in downtown Toronto. However, there is no guarentee Canada will get the 2003.5 titanium car. We've gotten stiffed twice already with the MP3 (only getting blue) and the 2003 MSP (only getting orange). Not that I don't love the blue and orange, but I am really not a fan of yellow (no offence to anyone). I could take a gamble and hope Canada gets both colours, or if we only get one colour, pray it is titanium. What makes me even more nervous is the fact that when the 2003 Miata SE's were released, the US got both yellow and titanium colours (sound familiar?) but Canada only got the yellow. Not promising. Even worse, there is no guarentee period that Canada will get any of the 2003.5's. (Please, if someone has heard different, even rumours, let me know.)
Damn, what a situation. Do I pass up on the arrest-me orange, in hopes of snagging a titanium? What if the titanium never makes it to Canada and I end up with zero MSP's? Argh! Another night of banging my head against the wall I guess. (bang)

Attachments

• 2003.5 front with foglights.jpg
    2003.5 front with foglights.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 4,561
Last edited:
a couple of ppl will post that they have "official info" that both colors will be in canada, but lets be realistic, nothing is definite at this point. Unless you see it in print somewhere.

as for your photochopped pic I think the fogs are smaller than they would be on the titanium. like the pic you took the fogs out of was smaller in scale than the titanium pic. not a big deal, just something i noticed. I think it would look nice with the fogs.

also something to think about when considering a 2003.5, however minor, dont expect a front lip for it.....unless the mazda3 shares the front bumper with the 2003.5 msp, which i think is doubtful.

Yeah Slug, I think you're right. I've enlarged the foglights a bit in this picture (but now I'm about at the limit of what MS Paint can do!) Its still not quite right though, something wrong with the perspective.
Anyway, I'm not as concerned with the front lip as I am by the spoiler. I think its a bit overdone. Although it can always be changed; I'm sure I could find someone with a 2003 MSP or 2001 MP3 to swap for the Evo-style wing on the 2003.5.

Attachments

• 2003.5 front with fogs version 2.jpg
    2003.5 front with fogs version 2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 902
Why not try it with some smaller fogs? Maybe rectangular ones? Or oval to match the tailpipe?

Since it won't come with them already, you could put on any shape you want.

Funny this should come up, as I'm still unsure about the orange. I need to see it in sunlight I guess.

So, I've been thinking about the grey and getting some fogs, maybe catz zetta's or something.

It does look better, but that spoiler....damn, that's different.

Honestly, although this goes against the norm, i kinda like the wing, and the foglights would be a huge improvement.

but i think the car overal is just as nice as any mp3/msp

Thanks Newf, I hadn't seen those pics! I spent about 2 hours on the net scouring out info about the 2003.5 Titanium, and I never came across any decent pictures (other than the original 3 posted from SEMA on this forum.)
I'm not going to try adding different foglights to the front grill, since it takes ages to do so with MS Paint, but if anyone else out there is a photoshop whiz, by all means, try it out. While your at it, see what the MP3/2003 MSP rear wing looks like in place of the 2003.5 wing!

Edit - another photoshop request - change the colour from titanium to yellow just for kicks.

Last edited:
got confirmation today from dealer that Canada is getting 350 Grey and 350 Yellow. It is a done deal he said, and it was announced at a management meeting a while ago.

Good question. Cost savings? Going for a more agressive look that Mazda feels would be reduced by filling the larger gaps? Who knows for sure. I hope they make it to production though.

newf, I thought you were the one that said Canada was getting 350 of each colour (see above). :p You're my best source of info, so if you don't know the date, who would! :D

Anyway, maybe a call to the dealer who told you Canada was getting titanium would be in order. I really hope you are right that Canada is getting some titanium cars. <fingers crossed>
How reliable would you rate this guys info?

He's the owner of the Mazda dealer here. He told me this right after a visit to a major meet of all the heads of all dealers, including the head of Mazda of Canada. The announced it then.

I contacted him today via email, as he's meeting with more district managers and stuff today. If I hear anything, you will know.

I could put the MP3/MSP spoiler in the gray ,and put in fogs.....I'd forget about the orange one in a sec.

I saw the yellow one at the L.A. Autoshow, but I didn't have my camera with me to take a pictur. It looks really nice, but I'll stick to my protege5.

Dude, the muffler on the 03.5' is ghey. Or maybe it just takes some getting used to. I like the wing though.

Back