How to enable the power sunroof with or without the key

djltoronto

:
Mazda 3 Sport
If you would like your sunroof to work all the time (with or without the key), there is a pretty simple modification that can be done..

1. Remove the 7.5 amp sunroof fuse (located in passenger side kick panel)
There is a 20 amp and a 7.5 amp fuse labeled as "Sunroof Only remove the 7.5 amp fuse.

2. Pull down the sunroof switch assembly

3. Strip a small amount of insulation from the Orange/Black wire and the Pink/Black wire

4. That's it, put the sunroof switch assembly back in place, and enjoy opening and closing your sunroof on nice sunny days without having to first put your key in the ignition.

Note: If you leave the 7.5 amp fuse for the sunroof in the fuse box, this modification will turn on just about everything that the ignition turns on. Make sure you keep the 7.5 amp sunroof fuse removed as long as you have this modification in place.

*Correction - In one of the graphics, I mentioned that the pink/black wire was originally connected to the ACC side of the ignition switch. It is actually connected to the IGN1 side... - just a minor detail

Last edited:
sweet.. even though i don't have a sunroof.. now how about something like that but for the windows?

so you just jumped the cables? it looks like you put in a pair of taps and ran a wire between them... is that right? does removing that 7.5A fuse disable anything else?

Airman Jack said:
bump... anyone? can I jump the cables with a press-on tap?
Bueler?
I soldered a jumper wire between the two.

I supose a press-on tap could work, But I don't trust them to be reliable.

djltoronto said:
I soldered a jumper wire between the two.

I supose a press-on tap could work, But I don't trust them to be reliable.

sweet thanks. the 7.5a fuse doesn't disable or affect anything else?

Airman Jack said:
sweet thanks. the 7.5a fuse doesn't disable or affect anything else?

It does effect one other thing: it voids the warranty on your entire electrical system. Don't ask me how I know this. (ugh)

goldwing2000 said:
It does effect one other thing: it voids the warranty on your entire electrical system. Don't ask me how I know this. (ugh)
That is true...
But this is easily reversable, with almost no trace!!

Just put the fuse back in!!! And remove the bridge!

Has anyone noticed any adverse affects from this 'hack'?
i did it yesterday 'successfully' and now when i turn on the AC, it sounds like the compressor makes a LOUD humming Noise when it comes on.

I know it's the AC because when I turn i off, the noise stops!

This hack is the only thing I've done to the car so logically this has to have caused it, could it be a drop in voltage to the compressor?

Also, instead of jumping the Wires, I jumped the contacts on the circuit board assembly, I soldered a wire from the BLACK wire on the BIG plug to the second pin on left of the little plug, those two spots terminate the referenced wires mentioned earlier. If anyone is interested, I can post some pictures.

cloudycloud said:
Has anyone noticed any adverse affects from this 'hack'?
i did it yesterday 'successfully' and now when i turn on the AC, it sounds like the compressor makes a LOUD humming Noise when it comes on.

I know it's the AC because when I turn i off, the noise stops!

This hack is the only thing I've done to the car so logically this has to have caused it, could it be a drop in voltage to the compressor?

Also, instead of jumping the Wires, I jumped the contacts on the circuit board assembly, I soldered a wire from the BLACK wire on the BIG plug to the second pin on left of the little plug, those two spots terminate the referenced wires mentioned earlier. If anyone is interested, I can post some pictures.
I have not experienced any of the adverse affects you mentioned!!
The circuit referenced has absolutely no connection to the AC.. So I'm quite surprised that your AC could be affected!

A few of my friends have this done and they don't have any issues either!!

Back