Crappy cup holders!

Version5

:
Mazda Protege 5
Whats up everyone!

I just got my P5 a few weeks ago and Im still discovering the little tidbits that need improving. I tried searching the forum for "cup holders" but I didnt see anything relevant. Anyone know how to improve on the stock cup holder? They cant hold crap since they are so shallow, non adjustable, and so close to the dash. I went to KFC yesterday to get their delicious Honey BBQ wings and a large Dr. Pepper and had to hold down my drink in the cup holder so it wouldnt weeble wobble out and make my floorboad a small lake.

Manual + Turn + Dr. Pepper - stable cup holders = (notcool)

You have the same style as me, I would assume; It has a little lid on the top. The Protege's from '03+ actually had different cupholders, and perhaps the '02.5 cupholders, too. Basically, they don't have the trim to cover them up, but they're a bit deeper. Not sure how much deeper, perse, but a little better, I suppose. I don't use mine at all, except for a bolt or two when I'm working on something in the car, so I never had an issue with it. Hehe.

and this is the reason that Mazda will be focusing on Larger Cup Holders instead of road handling in their future cars

Mine suck...
On the way to the SouthEast meet we stopped at mcdonalds for lunch...
and on the very first turn leaving the place, I had 2 gallons of coke on my passenger-side floor mat.
heh... it's what I get for trying to keep up with the mazdaspeeds.

mooS mooS said:
and this is the reason that Mazda will be focusing on Larger Cup Holders instead of road handling in their future cars

How can you enjoy road handling if your drink keeps falling out? Are you saying that you wouldnt want better cup holders, or a better interior for that matter? If Mazda only focused on performance and not the entire car.....they will follow in the footsteps of the Camaro.

my cup holders are ok. only complaint is that they arent big enough for my 42oz drink. but then what japanese car is?

if you ever plan on going carbon fiber for your interior im pretty sure you can get the 03 parts. or just a junk yard find an 03 and your set if you really hate them so much.

Version5 said:
How can you enjoy road handling if your drink keeps falling out? Are you saying that you wouldnt want better cup holders, or a better interior for that matter? If Mazda only focused on performance and not the entire car.....they will follow in the footsteps of the Camaro.

my mistake, Yes, Mazda should focus on building their cars around people stuffing their necks while in the car instead of DRIVING ....... what was I thinking

DE31, So i take it that its just certain years of P5's that have craptastic holders? Thanks for the advice...I'll take a look at my local yards.

flat_black said:
You have the same style as me, I would assume; It has a little lid on the top. The Protege's from '03+ actually had different cupholders, and perhaps the '02.5 cupholders, too. Basically, they don't have the trim to cover them up, but they're a bit deeper. Not sure how much deeper, perse, but a little better, I suppose. I don't use mine at all, except for a bolt or two when I'm working on something in the car, so I never had an issue with it. Hehe.

Yep, 2002.5 has the nice deep cup holder with no flip cover. I have taken turns fast enough to dump stuff out though. They aren't perfect, but they are much better than the older design.

mooS mooS said:
my mistake, Yes, Mazda should focus on building their cars around people stuffing their necks while in the car instead of DRIVING ....... what was I thinking

Lol..yes ..what WERE you thinking!! Why not gut the interior of the Rex and give the driver no amenities if thats the case. No radio, no AC, racing seat. ONLY MAKE IT PERFORMANCE..yay!! That will sell great!

Could you interchange an '02 console with an '03 console? If so, find a wrecked '03 P5 and swap the center console. You'll get deeper cup holders.

thats the one in my car. yes i know its dirty but ive since cleaned the interior.
gotta love my monthly budget in cup holder.(silly)

Attachments

• cupholders.JPG
    cupholders.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 224
ottawaP5 said:
Could you interchange an '02 console with an '03 console? If so, find a wrecked '03 P5 and swap the center console. You'll get deeper cup holders.
Yup. They just pop out.

I had a small fitment issue when i tried to swap.

The far end of the new-wave cupholder would stand a little higher, so it was hard to reach inside the little compartment we have under the hash tray.

My cupholders are fine. Anyway i have a spare center console with the flip up cover. I never noticed they were more shallow. I guess i wont be swapping it. Maybe i should sell it.

Back