smoke coming from a/c vents!!!!!!!

MP3Architect

Contributor
alright so in the past few months my a/c has been dying. first it stopped working on #2 setting and then it began going on and off and on and off on setting 3 and 4. well today it actually worked on the #3 for a whole hour (thank god) but then all of a sudden smoke started comin out of the vents. I quickly shut it off but what the hell happened? I know someone told me once what it meant when smoke came out the vents but i forgot. help help!!!!

s*** no man! better not! I shut it off and monitured my temp gauge. no change at all. drove over 50 more miles till i got home and no problems. of course i kept the ac OFF!!!!

Did it smell like smoke? I have had A/C blow fog due to humidity in various cars...looks like oil smoke kinda..

blower motor resistor could have fried..
hence why only certain speeds would work, it finally had enough and poof, it shorted out.. its very common in older cars, but not new ones, find the blower motor and the resistor should be in that area, pull it out and look at it..

If it is humid and hot.. that's just fog beign ejected.. my MP3 did that ALL the damn time...

TurfBurn said:
If it is humid and hot.. that's just fog beign ejected.. my MP3 did that ALL the damn time...
but he was also sayin that some of the fan speeds dont work

shaneMazda2000P said:
but he was also sayin that some of the fan speeds dont work

Right, but if you fry a resistor and actually get a visible quantity of smoke from it.. you WILL smell that something fierce... I'll bet he got more smoke from the center vents than from the sides.. it was uneven, and it dissipated and went away after about 1.5 feet... no smoke built up in the car, and there was no scent.

TurfBurn said:
Right, but if you fry a resistor and actually get a visible quantity of smoke from it.. you WILL smell that something fierce... I'll bet he got more smoke from the center vents than from the sides.. it was uneven, and it dissipated and went away after about 1.5 feet... no smoke built up in the car, and there was no scent.

true, sounds like he has multiple problems then, one bieng the fan speeds dont work and the vents fogging up, i actually had a grand prix do that because the fan didnt run, but the ac system worked, when the fans did kick on it "Smoked" a bit, from the evaporator core freezeing up..

Yep true... multiple problems going on... but I don't think the smoke is a "problem" in his case.. part of my issues was my AC was hardwired in my car by the last guy.... so the compressor was never off... so I saw it a lot because of that because the evaporator was overcooled all the time.

TurfBurn said:
I'll bet he got more smoke from the center vents than from the sides.. it was uneven, and it dissipated and went away after about 1.5 feet... no smoke built up in the car, and there was no scent.

this did hapen. and it was hot and humid yesterday but this is houston and its hot and humid EVERYDAY. but this never happened before. ill take a look at the resister. tthanks.

MP3Architect said:
this did hapen. and it was hot and humid yesterday but this is houston and its hot and humid EVERYDAY. but this never happened before. ill take a look at the resister. tthanks.

Well up here in Wisconsin we are doing about 88 and 55% which isn't too bad...

i would notice it on random days... it wasn't an every day thing and there were days that were hotter and more humid but it wouldn't do it.. but I did see it a fair amount.. freaked me out big time the first time...

If it doesn't smell and it disipates.. it isn't smoke or fire or anything to worry about that way.. smell is your ally. I'd put my head right in that smoke and breathe it when it happened to me... that way I coudl tell for sure... but yep.. take a look for the resistor (but I don't remember ever seeing one anywhere when I pulled the motor and the entire assemblies).

my fan sppeds 2 and 3 dont work. now i dont have powertrain waranty. if i take it in will they cover the A/c problem?

Back