Gnarly valve train ticking

YUP. Its been 6k miles since I have noticed it, Im not burning oil or losing gas mileage either, wouldnt that rule out a crank bearing that focuzfreek was talking about in other threads? I dont auto x and I change my oil frequently, the already too late indicator has never come on either. My friends does it too...

-THEORY
The Japanese have set time bombs in our cars for revenge of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They are set to go off Dec. 7th. Do not ask how I have gained this intelligence, just be mindful of it.

NOOOO! I have an auto-x on the 11th! Crap! I may have to use my gf's civic :(

Well, mine will see the dealer on Thursday. They have scheduled for a technician to go for a ride with me, since they couldn't reproduce the noise last time because they don't listen to me because I am a girl....... anywho, the noise has gotten louder, occurs with the most volume under heavy acceleration from a stop, and ONLY above 3000 rpm. The baseball card "ticking" sounds about right as well.... I had previously described it as pop-tabs shaking around in a soda can, but I think the baseball card in the spokes sound is an adequate description as well. VTCS screws rattling are my suspiscion, since the flaps are closed above 3000 rpm and loose screws would cause the flaps to rattle when they are supposed to be closed. Well, I'll post the results of my visit to the dealer......

same for me. the "doctor" at the mazda dealership said time for a new engin.
currently waiting to spend 6800 bucks for my operation. i'm just wondering how i'm gonna get my cams out of there, and into my new engin. i got rid of my stockers a long long time ago.

oh yeah i should add mine sounded like lifter noise. loudest when driving and the engin wasnt stressed. quied under engin brake and accel

I have been tryin to get the dealership to look at the engine itself, they keep thinking its something hitting, front mount (replaced) and because I took off the heatshield and bracket on bottom of car on the stock exhaust manifold, Im like listen to the fukin engine stop dicking around. Each time ive taken it (three times) its the same s***, wait 4 hours to have the same problem, drive an hour and a half back home. At least its being documented so I have proof I have a problem, im still shy of 40k . .

so i noticed that the tsb on the subject mentioned the vtcs butterflies...theoretically, if i remove my vtcs, will the noise go away?

Check out my post on this same topic from a few months ago. They fixed my ticking under warrantee. I think the repair they made may have been related to loose screws on the vtcs butterflies. Just doing a search on "engine ticking" or "engine knoocking", it seems every owner has this problem. My engine has been quiet for about 6k miles after the repair. I wish everyone else the same luck I have had...

http://www.msprotege.com/vbb225/showpost.php?p=1736731&postcount=40

rednecks_r_us said:
zoom zoom BOOM

I have a rod Knocking, Time for either a new motor or see if I can rebuild this one.
go to

www.raceup.com

and go to thier ebay store and you could get a j-spec mazda front half of a car for $1500-$2300 and you will have a j-spec motor. probly a boosted j-spec 1.8 if you want.

rednecks_r_us said:
zoom zoom BOOM

I have a rod Knocking, Time for either a new motor or see if I can rebuild this one.

I ended up getting a low mileage used motor and tranny from Beau at Mental Addiction Motorsports.

Flipper said:
Check out my post on this same topic from a few months ago. They fixed my ticking under warrantee. I think the repair they made may have been related to loose screws on the vtcs butterflies. Just doing a search on "engine ticking" or "engine knoocking", it seems every owner has this problem. My engine has been quiet for about 6k miles after the repair. I wish everyone else the same luck I have had...

http://www.msprotege.com/vbb225/showpost.php?p=1736731&postcount=40

Has anybody had this repair out of warranty? I know this has got to be the noise mine is making, especially when somebody said they notice it the most next to a wall in idle.

TheMAN said:
fizz.....

is that the fizz of the bomb under my hood? a reference to mpfizzle? (nothing found there yet) or die newbie die slang?

ClubProt had the cleaning the HLA's as a "proper" fix to the problem. Only problem is that I need to take the engine out for that one. blah. Think I just need a louder exhaust durring idle and i'll be good to go.

Back