The Rust!

kidrage24

My wife got her RX-8 new back in October. We noticed then at the dealership the rust build up on the hub and rotor. The salesman said this was normal if the car sits for a long period of time. The car now has developed a constant squeaking when the brakes are applied. We took it to the dealership and of course they said everything is fine. Anyone else with this problem and if so what can I do to correct it?

Nothing, that is normal (As for the rust). The squeaking would be unrelated.

KYREDP5 said:
Nothing, that is normal (As for the rust). The squeaking would be unrelated.

Exactly. The squeking could be due to several things, but not the rust. If you got some cleaning chemical on the rotors it could have soaked into the pads and caused the squeal. Glazed pads will squeak as well. The first thing I would do is take the pads off and if there is still alot of life left in them, hit them with some sandpaper to knock off any glazing. If that doesn't fix it order some new pads...preferably something other than stock like Hawk HPS pads and have the rotors tuned down.

It does have the warranty but it did not squeak last time when my wife took it by there so they did nothing. I have been driving it for the last couple of days and the weird thing is it did all day yesterday but I didnt hear it once today. I think I will take it by tommorow if they start. As for the rust, what else can I do to prevent it?

kidrage24 said:
It does have the warranty but it did not squeak last time when my wife took it by there so they did nothing. I have been driving it for the last couple of days and the weird thing is it did all day yesterday but I didnt hear it once today. I think I will take it by tommorow if they start. As for the rust, what else can I do to prevent it?

If it's on the actual part where the pad is applied there is nothing you can do. If you let it sit it will rust, but as soon as you drive and apply your breaks it will be gone.

If it is rusting on other parts use normal preservation techniques and paint it with high temp primer and paint color of your choice.

Before I purchased my Mazda 6, it sat for a VERY long time, the rotors had an extreme amount of surface rust that wasnt even on the whole surface of the rotors, so at about 10000 kilometer I had a lot of vibrations when braking, they resurfaced both front rotors and sanded the pads a tiny bit and problem vanished.

Mine has developed rust on the hub of the rotor that is not touched by the caliper at all. I drive my car every single day so it doesn't sit. My buddy Joka1 said that there is a TSB (aka a recall) on all rotors with rust. I can't find the thread so if someone finds it please post it here!!! Thanks

The rust can be painted but it will come back. Plated Aftermarket Rotors are an option, but sadly, they do not like the winter...

There is a TSB for the squeaking. It's the material of the brake pads causing the squeak, they should replace them for free.

Mikey444 said:
There is a TSB for the squeaking. It's the material of the brake pads causing the squeak, they should replace them for free.
He's right, but I prefer not to get softer pads. :p I deal with the squeak.

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
He's right, but I prefer not to get softer pads. :p I deal with the squeak.

It's kind of ghetto, but back in the day you could use a rasp file or a hacksaw blade to etch the pads/shoes and it would help the squeaking...at least for a while.

Back