Zoom zoom BoOm x2.

BlkZoomZoom

Contributor
:
Hemi Ram, 71 Plymth Scamp, 71 Plymth Duster 340, 69 Dart 340/4sp
Yup, wasn't content on just drag racing, had to strap it to a dyno.

Anybody ever wondered what happens to a 2.0l when on the dyno doing a pull at 16-17psi and something lets loose in the drivetrain at 4200rpm so it shoots past 7200 rpm (as recorded on the datalog, the dyno sensed a problem and stopped logging alittle after 4200rpm) and sustains WOT for 4-6 seconds after going past 7200rpm(God only knows how high it actually went, 8k, 8.5k etc.? Then it was abruptly let completely off...)).

Well, let me tell you. Bad mojo. Shattered plug, piston rings shattered, turbo fubar'd. etc.

Was on a quasi decent pull, the dyno recorded 262whp by 3300rpm then all hell broke loose and dyno operator didn't catch it too quick. Not sure what let loose in the drivetrain, lsd? clutch? 3rd. gear? who knows.

What I want to know is what the hell happened to the rev limiter? I can't say I ever tried to hit it, but does the MPI take it out? Did this happen to quick for the pcm to respond?

Then it was a 122mile tow home. All I can say is thank God for AAA+.

I shoulda just stuck with the track .........

Last edited:
OUCH! :( its gotta suck, i feel for ya i also broke this weekend just not as

bad. Good luck with whatever u do.

Well that was oliver rods, cp pistons, stage 1 T25 , SMIC, MPI, 3" exhaust, completely worked head and valves...etc.

I think it's time to sell it.

Oh, here is the thread about all this. I was wondering if you were gonna wait until you ripped it apart and made a prognosis before you told anyone.

It was sad, following that thing home, but your car will rise phoenix-like from the ashes once again. Don't sell it, because you'll just get an SRT4 and then I'll have to make fun of you.

I know my taunts will mostly be aimed at your rear plate, but still...

Last edited:
:( Sorry to hear this. A lot of time and money up in smoke.

So you weren't driving the car on the dyno? People tell me its normal for the dyno operator to do the driving, but if my car is going to blow, Im going to be the one pushing the go pedal. Just because I would end up blaming the operator.

Sucks either way.

Damn, what a bad way to lose a motor. I guess checking if the rev limiter is functional will be on the top of your list if there's a next time? Would a rev limiter be able to stop an engine revving so quickly without damage?

ChiMSP- I don't know what actually broke as of yet. I do know the plug is mangled, compression is low, and there are chunks of piston ring on top of the piston and in the turbo. I am also curious to see what broke first.

Scorch70- I do not blame anybody for this. s*** happens man, who knows how I would have reacted?

toucci- Very bad way. Didn't even get a full run in. Good news is after I pulled the car apart and figured out an idea of what happened and told the dyno operator he didn't make me pay for the run.

Matthew- Competant tuning? I'm not sure what you mean. That combination showed excellent potential and driveability. Not many turboed 4cyl. cars can boast about over 250whp @ 4100rpm. or 13.20's w/ DOT tires and high 2.2 60's.
All I can say to your comment is you take any engine and put it through the stress of what this motor went through today and see how it survives.

BlkZoomZoom said:
toucci- Very bad way. Didn't even get a full run in. Good news is after I pulled the car apart and figured out an idea of what happened and told the dyno operator he didn't make me pay for the run.

i would hope the dyno operator wouldnt make you pay for that run.

(mswerd) ever since he got the wrx he thinks he's the s***...

Pretzellogic said:
You truly are an asshole.

Sorry to hear about it, Brian. Don't sell it! You know you love it too much. Keep up posted once you figure out what the hell happened.

~brian

holy crap. This isnt the thread I wanted to hear a week before my dyno appointment.

I'm am sooo sorry to hear this!!! Keep us updated!

yea it was sad to see. I was going to dyno but i got cold feet after that lol. Im sure whatever he decides he will be happy. keep us updated whenever u find out what it is.

i think its safe to say if he sells hes being smart and just cutting his losses. He gave it a bigger more detailed effort while keeping a goal of stock look, then i think 90% of msp owners. His knowledge helped many..

Eh. s*** happens. I just did the test drive thing for the Srt-8. That was a very nice car. I'm gonna go rob a bank so I can get me one, lol.

BlkZoomZoom said:
Eh. s*** happens. I just did the test drive thing for the Srt-8. That was a very nice car. I'm gonna go rob a bank so I can get me one, lol.
Did you do some mad Mopar Dorifto?

ChiMSP said:
WTF? a forged engine blew just like that?

i can see how easy it would be for it to go if he was running it past 7200rpms and there was no rev limiter in place

Back