Sunroof

No. you can have an aftermarket one installed but it's a very bad idea.

Do a search for more info.

Devilspawn said:
This again....I luv mine too! It was/is a great idea!

I just don't see the problems...unless you are auto x'er or a road course racer. But none of those guys have moonroofs, regardless of the make/model.

-Ryan

A sunroof will directly cut out a major structural support beam. You risk chassis-flex because the MSP is a high powered vehicle (especially speaking in terms of a protege). Of course, performance mods will add to this issue.

If you roll the vehicle, which I found out is not difficult to do when the people around you decide to disregard stop signs, a sunroof installation will probably mean the difference between walking away and dying.

This has been discussed at length, most recently here.

For those of you already with a sunroof, I hope you enjoy them and I very much hope you keep all four tires on the ground at all times. For those of you who don't have one, it would be a good idea to keep it that way.

Crock said:
will probably mean the difference between walking away and dying.

wow, well i know i dont know of EVERY accident that a 3rd gen protege has been in but all the ones ive ever seen on here EVERYONE has walked away. these are safe ass little cars. P5's, mp3/msp's, and the base models. Id give anything to have a sunroof. thats the only thing the car didn't come with that i wanted when lookin at buyin a car.

Crock said:
A sunroof will directly cut out a major structural support beam.

Has anyone cut into the roof and could verify this? Proteges come with sunroofs as a stock option, they wouldn't cut straight through anything important to put that in, would they?

Both me and my girlfriend would be dead right now if my first MSP had a sunroof. You can get one, but drive safe.

jurgs01 said:
Both me and my girlfriend would be dead right now if my first MSP had a sunroof. You can get one, but drive safe.

???

And you know this because some highway safety person told you this or something? I don't understand how you could feel remotely qualified to make a statement as absolute as that.

Uh...Ok man.

Attachments

• wrecked MSP3.JPG
    wrecked MSP3.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 235
Guys the roof is a piece of sheet metal. There's obviously crossmembers at the windshield and the rear glass, and the A-pillars are there, but what's in between? Sheet metal. The glass is probably better for rigidity than that!

On the pic of the above crash, can you tell if there's a crossmember above your head? It sure doesn't look like it to me. I'm just sick of people assuming things based on what they think makes sense without thinking about it first. The car does come with this option stock. They're certainly not adding crossmembers as part of the mazdaspeed package.

Please tell me there's more actual evidence than this.

Other sedan variants with the moonroof have 2 support beams instead of the MSPs single beam to compensate for the sunroof. It is undeniable if you have a sunroof that cuts through the support beam it will be weaker than one that was left alone.

MP3Architect said:
wow, well i know i dont know of EVERY accident that a 3rd gen protege has been in but all the ones ive ever seen on here EVERYONE has walked away. these are safe ass little cars. P5's, mp3/msp's, and the base models. Id give anything to have a sunroof. thats the only thing the car didn't come with that i wanted when lookin at buyin a car.

weaker... not necessarly completely flimsy... i'm sure the makers of the moonroof...s have some engineering behind them b4 they go and cut into the roof support beem... that is just my opinion feel free to resume where i came in. just my .02 $

Notorious said:
Other sedan variants with the moonroof have 2 support beams instead of the MSPs single beam to compensate for the sunroof. It is undeniable if you have a sunroof that cuts through the support beam it will be weaker than one that was left alone.

Yes. I'm pretty sure ours is an H-beam support.

I don't understand people sometimes.

If you want a manual...buy a car with a manual.
If you want a moonroof...buy a car with a moonroof.

Notorious said:

"Sedan variants", do you mean the protege and the P5, or other cars entirely? Do you know for sure the MSP has a single beam, or are you talking out of your ass?

I still haven't seen anyone comment intelligently on this issue with any evidence or even authority. I should call the sunroof company and find out if they have to cut or add support beams.

Yes I mean the protege. I don't know for sure on the p5 although I'm sure it is the same.

The MSP does have a single beam and I know this for sure. Dr Sound's rollover it is visable and it saved his life. I don't have a picture on my work computer, but its floating around on the boards.

Edit: found it http://www.netsnapshot.com/pcw/b?KEY=15&ACCOUNT=14867

The beam is clearly visable. Also another MOCC guys sunroof cut into the beam, and he knowly did it.

murph1379 said:
"Sedan variants", do you mean the protege and the P5, or other cars entirely? Do you know for sure the MSP has a single beam, or are you talking out of your ass?

I still haven't seen anyone comment intelligently on this issue with any evidence or even authority. I should call the sunroof company and find out if they have to cut or add support beams.

Last edited:
Back