how to for brakes / rotor install?

dosle

:
2k3.5 p5 ftw!
Does anyone have some advice or give me tips on replacing my stock rotors? I bought 4 all around slotted rotors and new front pads and i hope to install them this weekend, I have never done this before so is it pretty easy?

thanks

It's real easy. I believe there is a how-to thread on this. When you do the rears there is a cap on the back of the caliper you remove and there will be a allenhead screw you turn to suck the caliper piston in. You'll see when you get in there. Don't forget to install the rotors in the proper left and right positions. In other words, step back and make sure the front and rear look like they spin the same direction. The boxes should be marked and the rotors stamped with left or right on them. Good luck!!

I think all you have to do is take off the brake caliper, take off the old pad, use a hammer to hit the brake rotor serveral times(because of the rust), take off the old brake rotor,install the new pad, new rotor, and put things back to original.

What brake rotor did you get? I want two for the front:)

slkt said:
I think all you have to do is take off the brake caliper, take off the old pad, use a hammer to hit the brake rotor serveral times(because of the rust), take off the old brake rotor,install the new pad, new rotor, and put things back to original.

What brake rotor did you get? I want two for the front:)

seems fairly simple.

i bought 4 powerslot slotted rotors from protegegarage.com

dosle said:
seems fairly simple.

damm.. my powerslots warped in the back (at least one of them)

now gotta change them.... but i got the MSP big brake upgrade for the fronts (crazy)

dosle said:
seems fairly simple.

Yea, you'll know what to do when you're doing it. May be it takes 15-20 mins??? Good luck~! Remember to post some pics after you install them:)

Last weekened I replaced pads and rotors all around. I figured I would try to save a few bucks and pick up those drilled rotors off ebay.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I got all four rotors and pads for $241 shipped, which isn't too bad since the dealer wanted like $225 to replace the front pads without even touching the rotors. I must say I was leery about buying them but I was surprised with their quality. One beef was with the black paint on the hub part of the rotor scratched off easily when putting on/taking off the wheels. But all in all I think it was worth the money for what I got. I called the vendor and wanted to but the brembo rotors that he was selling but he said that the magnum rotors were more or less the same as the brembo so you weren't paying for the name brand. The true test will be in a few months if they are still holding up, which I am confident that they will. They can't be any worse than some generic rotor you would get from napa for about the same price.

This was my first brake job and I must say it was pretty simple. Just take the time at the end to be sure that all the bolts are tight. I had a caliper come off the spindle on the highway. Luckily the lines didn't get sheared off or anything. The only real damage done was the dust plate on the back of the rotor got bent up and the inside of my wheel had a groove worn into it. Thankfully a couple weeks ago I complained to the dealer about the paint bubbling so they replaced all four wheels....today so the damged wheel is gone. :) I replaced the bolts with some generic ones from Pep Boys but when I was at the dealer this morning I ordered the oem bolts to replace them, they are $3 per bolt.

Man, I can do this stuff in my sleep now. I've changed out all my calipers, rotors and pads.

Advice:
- don't strip the bolt holding on the rear caliper - it's a 10mm and it's really soft.
- when your rear is jacked up and before you take the wheels off, spin the wheels to see how much resistance is there already - when you put the new rotors and pads and are adjusting the rear calipers with the allen wrench try to adjust it to about the same resistance.
- The rear piston needs to be pulled in with an allen wrench in the back - after it stops going in you can push it in more with a c-clamp

It's cake.

Last edited:
it is so easy- you really don't need a how too. (besides, there is a search on here you need to learn to use ;) ) anywho- just take off the two bolts holding the calipers on- i think these are 17mm, but i may be wrong. pull the caliper off, take the pads out. hit the rotor with a hammer to break it free (rust). put on the new rotor- it just hovers i place- no fasteners. put the pads in. then the hard part- put those stupid wire spring clips back in. make sure to have one caliper not taken apart for referance. then put the caliper back on. bolt in place. easy. that is the front. never done the rears, but i am sure it is very similar.

bringing a dead thread back to life...

i'm considering putting new rotors on (about to change brakes) and before i do i just want to clarify how to put them on. you just take off the old ones and slide the new rotors on and clamp down the rotors with new pads on them? is it really that simple? i always thought that i was held in place with something. thanks.

Back