Exhaust/Power Mods

OldMP3

Hi, I am looking to get a catback exhaust or something of the equivalent to put on my bone stock MP3 with 75,000 miles. The reason I want to replace it is because it is starting to rust. I am looking for something with a deeper tone and somewhat loud, but not ungodly loud. I also don't want it too expensive. From what I have read the stock diameter of the exhaust is 2.25 inches which is optimal for a N/A car. So a catback to my understanding won't gain power. What cheap mods do you suggest will increase power safely?

I have searched and found headers?

If so which type/brand?

Probably don't want an intake because that could mess up the A/F ratio and lean my car out if the intake isn't designed properly. But if they are the best power increase bang for the buck, I might go with it. What do you suggest? Thanks in advance.

protegegarage.com

There are so many things you can get... there is an exhaust thread with sounds clips that you can check out just hit up a search.

The best bang for a buck header is the OBX hands down.

right now i have a ractive intake. still running good nothing really changed but better throttle response. i also have the stock exhaust system that came on the mp3s. mp3 had a racing hart exhaust system. in other words i would just get a intake and headers. the exhaust is decent on hte mp3 but the headers is wats most restrictive over the exhaust. as for the intake it would be nice upgrade too.
good deal on headers here:
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110415&highlight=1.6l+header

as for the intake you can find it almost anywhere in the f/s section of the forum.
btw exhaust wont mess up just because it has some rust. its only messed up when you have cracks in the piping or the gaskets blow.

If you have a massive wallet, here are the mods that seem to be THE BEST for NA:

Intake system: Injen Cold Air Intake
Could find for as low as 200$
-note-excellent HP and torque boost, higher cost

Headers: AWR racing headers
probably could find for 550$
-note- I believe this eliminates the pre-cat, if thats an issue
incredibly high-cost, some compatibility issues, though those may have been worked out

Not so sure about exhaust though, maybe a Borla Cat-back? depends on your taste I guess.

Any comments on my choice of headers and intake are open, I know there are advantages and disadvantages to every system.

SenorCorwin said:
^ that link is to the 1.6 thread.

na its for 1.6 n 2.0 if 10 peole are interested. its down a little more.

mulcibre: ya you could go with ingen n pay like 200 like my freind did or just get a cheap one with ok piping and everything with a good filter. they almost the same gains. but my way is much cheaper. i mean mostly the same but the name brand. also i read somewhere that ingen or aem (dont really remember which one) had a really bad rep to it.

Well after looking through Protege garage, do any of the Protege sedan model exhausts fit the MP3? I haven't seen any MP3 specific exhausts. And you say the Injen cold air intake is the best? I might look into that. And no I don't have a full wallet, only about $400 bucks.

The best exhaust you can get with the specifics you're looking for would be the Racing Beat cat-back. Probably the closest sounding exhaust to stock but with a noticable growl whenever you get on it. Very deep tone, not buzzy or harsh at all. And unlike most cat-backs, it doesn't drone at highway speeds. You only have $400 so you might be a little short. I got mine through a forum vendors(Racing Extreme) ebay auction. You may be able to just send him(Matt) a PM, and order it that way. I paid $430 shipped.

Intakes- just get yourself a cheap one off ebay, and pick up a K&N filter for it if your short on cash. Shouldn't set youy back more than $50 with the filter. If money is no option, I recommend the K&N Typhoon.

Best bang for the buck is going to be a header period. I went with a ractive, but wish I would've went with the OBX.

These topics has been covered many, many times. If you do a search on thess topics, you should find all available options. I'm just that nice of a guy:)

edit: you will need the sedan exhaust(any brand). The protege, MP3, and mazdaspeed all have a shorter tip than the protege5.

Last edited:
OldMP3 said:
Well after looking through Protege garage, do any of the Protege sedan model exhausts fit the MP3? I haven't seen any MP3 specific exhausts. And you say the Injen cold air intake is the best? I might look into that. And no I don't have a full wallet, only about $400 bucks.

with 400 bucks is almost enough. there someon on the forum tirn to sell his ingen cai:
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106835
i think you can get a good deal from him. i bought his seatbelts :)
also then you can get headers. but i still think the exhaust should be decent enough to sound good. someone correct me if im wrong. it should give you a nice deep tone. not as dead as a catback but as deep as 50% legal.(has 1 cat lol)

You shouldn't screw up your air/fuel ratios by simply adding an intake. If you are worried, though, reset your ECU after installation. This should be done after installing a header, btw :).

How about this...

I get the Vibrant Performance Axle back for $250. Does anybody else have this? I assume it will bolt up to the stock exhaust, and it will give a little more growl.

Then get the OBX headers for $230 for the power, and they will help increase sound as well I assume, but only a little bit. How does this package sound?

Sound will increase, yes. I've heard the Vibrant is a good system. Never heard it in person, though...

If you're looking to increase power, you might also want to consider an underdrive pulley.

I don't have the $$ for all three things. Can anybody else comment on the OBX headers and Vibrant Axleback?

There are two fixes available once the header is installed. MIL eliminator and spark plug non-fouler. Search for both, you'll find threads about them. I'd recommend the non-fouler, as it means you won't be splicing into any wires.

If the $$$ is tight, put the exhaust on hold for now. You'd be better off getting a full catback system anyways.

Since you can remove the stock airbox and snorkel while doing the header, hold off on getting an intake. Though you could go this route as well.

I'd recommend getting a header and UDP. I have this combo on my p5 right now and I'm loving it. Much better than stock, and I have additional power throughout the RPM range. Header in Ken's GB I think is 209. UDP from RR-Racing is 148. Belts are probably 12. So for about 400, you'll be adding a noticeable increase in power.

I want some sound though. UDP is out of the question. I want comments on axleback and header. I will do the anti-fouler way, which is how my son has it on his WRX.

Back