House hunting

SlowPro98

Contributor
:
02P5, 98ES,95miata
My wife and I have started house hunting. We had a meeting with the mortgage guy last night, grilled him for 2 hours and we really made him work for our business, and we hammered out a pretty decent looking deal, and it gave us a much more comprehensive look at what we can realistically afford.

so with all that said, the top thing on my list of priorities was a garage, and we may have found a house within our budget!! I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but HOLLY s***!! I'd have to start buying tools. I don't really care about how many bedrooms it has, or what shape the kitchen is if, as long as the garage is decent and big enough to work in. Hopefully we can work the payments to be about what we're paying for rent now, thus allowing me to be able to afford tools and parts. heheheheheehe

I'll keep you posted (evil)

Melissa and I...

Sorry, my mom is an English teacher.

I'll be in the same situation soon enough with my fiance...and a garage is high on my list as well...even a driveway with a garden hose would be nice.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!! as soon as I* got to the Garage part I knew exactly how you feel....I'm currently looking at houses and the first thing I look at is the garage..hahahaha...your post made me feel like I was writing it....good luck!!!

Jeremy

happy house hunting jeremy!! let me know if yu need anyone to evaluate the electrial system! mark

slug420 said:
where are you looking?

who are you using for a lender/realtor?

details details...

NYC Mortgage, Purdential of newington

We want to stay in Newington, but the housing costs are INSANE, anything under 180k is either a POS or too small. We're looking at condos in Middletown/cromwell, and we may even check out houses in Vernon, but that's plan B.

so this weekend we drove around to see some of the neighborhoods, and the house that I really wanted (2 car garage, new kitchen, new bathroom, 3 betdrooms) was in a ghetto neighborhood; there was trash everywhere, bunch of homies grillin' us as we drove through, just not the kind of place I would want to call home.

On the bright side, there was a story on the news today about people who get 5-1arm mortgages and after the 5 years the payments balloon and they can't sell their houses, and we're looking to swoop in and pick up a foreclosure. (usa) it's the american dream.

SlowPro98 said:
NYC Mortgage, Purdential of newington

We want to stay in Newington, but the housing costs are INSANE, anything under 180k is either a POS or too small. We're looking at condos in Middletown/cromwell, and we may even check out houses in Vernon, but that's plan B.

so this weekend we drove around to see some of the neighborhoods, and the house that I really wanted (2 car garage, new kitchen, new bathroom, 3 betdrooms) was in a ghetto neighborhood; there was trash everywhere, bunch of homies grillin' us as we drove through, just not the kind of place I would want to call home.

On the bright side, there was a story on the news today about people who get 5-1arm mortgages and after the 5 years the payments balloon and they can't sell their houses, and we're looking to swoop in and pick up a foreclosure. (usa) it's the american dream.

I am in one of those ARMs....we will see what happens in 5 years. You wont be able to get in on the foreclosures now, they wont happen until 5 years from now when rates have skyrocketed (thats the assumption) and ppl are forced to pay really high monthly payments. If someone's 5/1 ARM was up now they could easily refinance for 30/fixed at a good rate rather than face forclosure.

If you are looking in the middletown/newington area I would check meriden. I moved here in november and like it a lot. Pretty affordable (compared to even wallingford/cheshire) and there are soem nice places to be found.

If you havent signed papers with your realtor then I can put you in touch with mine, he was great through a hectic closing process and I my co-worker is building a place through him now (also in meriden), he is with prudential in wallingford.

I never signed papers with any agent until I was making an offer. That allowed me to work with some coldwell banker agents looking at properties but when I found one I wanted to jump on ASAP they didnt call me back that day so I called the new agent and he was able to show me the house within a few hours. Good thing too because someone else made an offer the same time I did so if I had waited I would be in the gheeeeettooooooooooooooo.

;)

^^^

i am working with my best friend's mother as my agt. she has been super nice and sure she will be a huge benefit with saving money.....something we don't have a lot of!

-R

Good luck. The GF and myself have been doing this for a while now. Fist hose fell through. Just keep at it!

I'll be getting married in September. I am already house hunting. Unfortunately here in Arizona you can't buy a brand new house under $200,000 and used ones are going for about the same! It blows.

boohoo. I'd be lucky to get a 75 year old shack for under $200,000. Condos start at $180,000 around here.

The only new houses they build in Mass these days are Section 8 or 1.5M+. They just aren't making starter homes.

chuyler1 said:
boohoo. I'd be lucky to get a 75 year old shack for under $200,000. Condos start at $180,000 around here.

The only new houses they build in Mass these days are Section 8 or 1.5M+. They just aren't making starter homes.

real estate in Mass is expensive but the prices keep going up so it is usually a great investment unlike our modded protege's.......

Our agent is cool as hell. She helped us find our apartment last year, and she has helped our friends find their condo (4 years ago) and their house (just closed last week, 3bed, 1 bath in newington for 185,xxx). She's done good by us and our friends and she has never hesitated to help us. My wife is wicked smart and thinks of all kinds of crazy questions and details that I didn't even think about.
We also have been using our friends as a meter or guide. We have watched them make several mistakes (not checking credit reports, not finding out about points before closing, etc) and we have taken all the steps to avoid the headaches they have. I have been working on my credit report for the last 2 years (700+ FICO score, BOOOYAH!!) and we've saved up enough to cover all the closing costs. We also have clear and unified goals as a couple, so the hunting process is much quicker.

and our mortgage guy was pretty cool. he tried to gloss some things over and I said "look, I work in sales, I swim with sharks all day. don't sugar coat anything or we'll walk away from this deal in a heartbeat". (chair) he was a little shocked, but we went forward and we asked him questions for over 2 hours about mortgages, penalties, 5/1's, 30 year vs 15 year, tax right offs, closing costs, AND we made him buy dinner for us (hmm Taco Dia in Newington). So far so good.

MOTHER FUCKERS! ~ we booked 2 viewings, and both of them went under deposit yesterday. Found a couple of nice places in Manchester, but they all need work, or they have lots of noise, there is one that's right next to a park, which is awesome cause there's tons of parking and a HUGE garage, but it's loud as hell, no privacy. grrr. I don't want to rush into a mortgage, but unless I want a trailer in Colchester, we're going to have to jump. (yupnope)

On the plus side, everything we've looked at so far has a garage, so i'm happy.

hehe, thats what i meant about being able to swap agents. good properties get snatched up quick :)

have you looked at condos? I love mine. I definitely didnt want to added chores of shoveling the driveway in the winter, mowing the lawn in the summer, worrying about roofing/siding and all that crap at this stage in my life.

Back