How is using a Q-logic pre-fab box for a JL W6 v2?

LazerBlueP5

:
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe // 6spd
I'm planning on using a pre-fab box for my JL 12 W6 v2 sub. Has anyone had experience with q-logic boxes. Are they built well?

Actually I trust pre-fabs over customs any day of the week. I've had many systems in my past cars and lots of times (more than one occasion) had problems with the seal not being air tight on my sealed enclosures. One time I even noticed a floating screw on one of the woofer mounts!
I'm just wondering if anyone had experience with Q-logic pre-fab boxes. Obviously you don't like them "YellowBagged..." how come?

Its not that i don't like them, its just that if you get a custom made box made especially for that speaker (done by someone that does very good work), you will get better sound. Obviously anybody can make a custom box but it could sound like crap and be bad quality, but there is nothing like getting a custom made box done correctly and to the exact specifications the speaker needs.

Q-loqic is not for a sub such as the W6, have a good shop build the bax and tell them you want it perfectly sealed. Typicaly to best do thise the baffle is left uncarpeted and then another board goes ontop that flushes the sub. Also the screw holes for the sub should be pre drilled and the box should be constructed with screws not nails. Let teh shop know this and that you will not accept a sub standard sealed box.

Oh, and if you are patient JL has a prebuilt box with a 12W6v2 in it coming in a few months.

1st MP3 in NH said:
Q-loqic is not for a sub such as the W6, have a good shop build the bax and tell them you want it perfectly sealed. Typicaly to best do thise the baffle is left uncarpeted and then another board goes ontop that flushes the sub. Also the screw holes for the sub should be pre drilled and the box should be constructed with screws not nails. Let teh shop know this and that you will not accept a sub standard sealed box.

Yea what he said!

Why isn't the box good for the W6? JL recommends 1.25 cu ft for a sealed enclosure and the Q-logic box is exactly 1.25 cu ft. I figured it'd be perfect for it.

Q-logic uses 5/8" pressboard. With the power the JL wants that wood isn't strong enough nor is the joints of the box. The wood should be atleast 3/4 MDF and built the way I mentioned above.

Air spce is dead on but it is built of sub-standard wood and poorly held together joints when compared to a custom box using the techniques I mentioned.

Q-logic is fine for a low powed sub but the W6 wants 400 watts rms.

The Q-logic will cost $95 + SH, A custom of the type I was describing will cost about $125.

Well are the techniques you mentioned standard for Tweeter installers on JL W6 sealed enclosure?

They are if thats how you demand the box built and ask to inspect it before carpeting!

If you can't or don't trust someone down there theres a chance I could make one and send it down as a transfer with one of the trucks.

Back