tranny fluid/coolant flush: Shop or DIY

RedKatanax9

Contributor
:
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
My car is due for the 30,000 service and I am debating whether to bring it to a shop or do it myself. Mazda wants $167 for the whole shebang, but I have changed the spark plugs myself. I could probably do it myself and save some money but I figure shops have the proper equipment to do a cleaner flush...what do you think?

take a good look at it, see how difficult the placement is and see if it would be more of a hassle to spend 167 dollars or to do it yourself, I wouldn't know how to do it so I'd probably find a neighbor who would lol

woot 100th post (birthday)

SlimMilkMan327 said:
take a good look at it, see how difficult the placement is and see if it would be more of a hassle to spend 167 dollars or to do it yourself, I wouldn't know how to do it so I'd probably find a neighbor who would lol

woot 100th post (birthday)

LOL, you post *****! (second)

I'm going to be doing a flush in a week or 2.
There is a howto in the howto section. Looks pretty easy to do. Think I am going with Amsoil ATF (auto tranny), runs less than redline and I'm only a daily driver...

I am going to do the tranny myself for the 30K service. Looks easy, 23mm socket and a flexably filler. The coolant I am going to have done, as I go not want to deal with all the extra coolant to dispose of.

If you are capable of changing the engine oil. the tranny is not that hard.

thanks for that writeup Chris, Steve is kind enough to help me do it at his place :)

RaiderMP5 said:
I am going to do the tranny myself for the 30K service. Looks easy, 23mm socket and a flexably filler. The coolant I am going to have done, as I go not want to deal with all the extra coolant to dispose of.

Ya, that's what concerns me as well. Shops have the proper way to dispose the used coolant. I don't want the coolant to flow across my driveway and into the ground and sewage when I try to flush the radiator. It just seems bad for the environment.

thats why you.... collect the coolant!

its just like changing oil people. you collect it in a container and take it to a proper disposal facility.

why is that so hard?

RaiderMP5 said:

23mm? crap, I think I bought a 22mm today. Must find receipt...

uclap5 said:
thats why you.... collect the coolant!

its just like changing oil people. you collect it in a container and take it to a proper disposal facility.

why is that so hard?

I would collect the used coolant (as I do when changing oil), what I meant was the flushing part.

Back