fluid leak

ZiO

:
2002 Protege 5
My car seems to go pee pee when the engine is cold, leaking either oil or power steering fluid. The leak is right in front of the passenger tire, but beleive it or not the only place i can FEEL a bit of oil is the oil pan gasket.. cant see ANYTYHING else. anyone here have a ose or fitting leak before? notice where it was... long weekend here now, but would like to find this thing beofre i bring it in....

Is the oil dribbling down from the oil filter? I would just clean the hell out of it, then reproduce the leak (you said it was when the engine's cold? even better), and trace it back up to where it's coming from. Any fluids low?

this leak is from the twilight zone... i cant find it anywhere... i see the spot.. and look up.. nothing... then i try and trace where is may have flowed from ... nowhere.. i had the whole plastic around the wheel well out and couldnt see anything... and dont find any significantly low fluid levels anywhere....

put a bucket or something under where you know it drips and collect some of it so you can identify the fluid

if youve already tried everything then they have sort of this dye that u can put in and it will show up under like a black light easy to trace then :)

It might be squirting from somewhere and not dripping, so the leak might not be directly above where you see the spot. For example, when the engine's cold oil pressure is very high, so it might squirt someplace, then go away over time. Or coolant may be squirting out from your radiator when the car's started...etc..Identifying the liquid is key like mogi said. Does it taste like strawberry? (just kidding!)

hmmm... are you serious about the dye thing? (skinny joint). but i think i am going to bring it in and let them struggle.. god knows i have.. but i also would not be surprised about it being squirted from somewhere else... hmmm... going to go check my brake hoses i think...

even if it is squirting, it does leave a puddle, right? so put something about where the puddle forms relative to the car and see if you can catch some of it...

ZiO said:
hmmm... are you serious about the dye thing? (skinny joint). but i think i am going to bring it in and let them struggle.. god knows i have.. but i also would not be surprised about it being squirted from somewhere else... hmmm... going to go check my brake hoses i think...

yes i am i used it before when i use to go to school for mechanics. its good and mostly used to see if a block is cracked ot somthing like that but u most def need a lift makes it so much easier

Back