Crazy ideas floating in my head....

BlkZoomZoom

Contributor
:
Hemi Ram, 71 Plymth Scamp, 71 Plymth Duster 340, 69 Dart 340/4sp
Every wednesday night I go to the track and every week I come back wishing I had better traction. I watch these friggin Sti's and Evo's launch off the line better than anything and only run 13.'s I always think, If I could get 1.7-1.8 60's I would be mid 12's without breaking a sweat. I have used so many different tire combinations it's not even funny. I have moved on to alignment changes, torque straps, different control arm bushings... Still, I still can't hit the gas at anything below 40mph without spinning with anything less than 26/9 slicks.

I have been toying with the idea of swapping to an automatic transmission. Now with a nicely built auto the hp loss wouldn't be that much, can launch more progressively and keep the turbo spooled at all times. Downside is cost. and being stuck with 3gears.

Also I have been thinking about a bolt on wheelie bar. I know, they look stupid on fwd cars. But the benifts are awsome, you can preload the wheelie bar to load the front suspension. Plus there would be no weight transfer to the rear of vehicle. Downside is cost and it looks stupid. However I have seen a couple of fwd cars drop a 1/2 second with the addition of them.

Whadda think?

you can get a fully built auto tranny that will hold 275whp from lentech for just under 2k.

it would almost be easier to go totally custom and fully change the geometry of the front suspension

F' It, put a PG and a 9" behind it and run it RWD.

You could do a removable wheelie bar that mounted to the rear subframe and bumper that was quick release-so you could pop ti off and toss it in the trunk. I just don't think the geometry would be very good.

Have you thought about coilovers and adjustable struts? you could set the back end quite high and very stiff.

put a 4 rotor rotary with tranny and convert the pro to RWD, then remove the inteior and relocate the gas tank

it'll be quick

Bah, just do an AWD conversion and call it a day... can't have a wheelie bar sticking off the back of your "stock" msp.:p

I already surpassed 275whp.
I have thought about a coilover set-up, the ability to set the front end really soft and the rear end hard would help alot. However the wheelie bar would compliment this even farther.

I wonder how much I could get a stock one to hold with a few tricks.... Too bad it's not as easy as just swapping them.

200whp, from a stock one with a few tricks :p
Lentech has an 11sec Focus running their heavy duty tranny.. it's good sheet

do everything you can to make the rear end rock solid.

how about progressive boost? 1st and 2nd gear limit to x psi then full psi for 3rd +

what tyres you using and what size?

I use spring spacers right now.

I have a few sets of tires for the track. I have 205/50/15 drag radials. I have 235/60/15 cheater slicks. I have 225/50/15 drag radials. I have 26/9/15 slicks. I have 205/40/17 toyo proxies for the street. I have 215/45/17 Potenzas for the street. I have 195/60/16 bridgestones for the street.

I also have a dual stage solenoid that I haven't hooked up yet. 15psi was going to be my low boost setting though. I'm really starting to think about an automatic transmission.

Reactions: niv
if you want an ATx.. I have one for sale for dirt cheap :)
If you want it built up by Lentech, they're 20 minutes from my place, too (spin)

you could also use the coil overs to raise the rear end of the car like you were thinking with the wheelie bar. Have you tried 0 camber in the front?
I have seen Neons get 1.8 and 1.9 second 60ft times its totaly possible to do with a manual FWD car, there was a person who rana 1.754 on 24.5X8/13 MT slicks, but I'm guessing a 13inch wheel wouldnt fit over the caliper on a protege

I would honestly think about playing with the suspension before going to an ATX. You car will loose alot of its fun potential on the street. If you do the suspension adjustable enough, you can still have a fun street car.

These cars are similar to 300ZX's in the fact that the suspension is well tuned for being flat (300zx had "anti-roll geometry"). Makes for a great autocross, but not for good 60 foots.

Have you disconected or removed the sway bar?

Also as pointed out above are you at 0 degrees of camber?

Take a look over at places like SRTforums, or a FWD DSM community, or other places with good tech and fast FWD cars. Take a look at some of their setups, spring rates, etc.

As others have pointed out, you can get a good deal with tightning the back, etc. I know your wheelie bar idea will compliment this, but you should be able to get to 1.7x's, low 1.8's without them with the proper suspension.

atx? that be tough. What are you using for tunning? Ill promise you right now i dont think there are enough tricks to help these ATX. It wont hold the torque it just totally realeases.

Back