Another HU takes a sh*t...

mspdfreak

:
2006 Mustang GT
Well, I came out of the Star Wars movie last night, only to find my HU had apparantly turned to the dark side. I now call it a "piece of Sith".
Anyway, it seems to function okay, but nothing comes up on the display.
I would try to reset it, but if it doesn't work, then I've lost all my presets and will have no way to reset them with no display. So, has anyone had this particular problem? Did the reset restore the display?

Here are my options...
1.) Reset the HU and pray
2.) Take to the dealer. It's 2 1/2 hrs. away, and I'm almost certain that they would have to order another one. That means 5 hrs. driving for the diagnosis, and another five hrs. driving when it finally comes in.
3.) **** Kenwood and Mazda and buy a new HU.

If option 3, do you know of any quality HU's that will swap out easily with our amp/sub/sirius combination?

Moeed said:
or 4) get on best buys website and get teh ribbon cable. Then resolder it to the HU board and enjoy your working radio.

EDIT: here is the direct link on the cable

http://bestbuy.partsearch.com/Product.asp?InventoryID=36619&SubstitutePart=0&ModelManufacturer=Kenwood&ModelNumber=KDCMP919&ModelID=197420&OrgPartNum=&OrgPartMfg=Kenwood
Thanks for the link. I'm no good at that kind of electronics work, but I work at a TV station. I wonder if one of the guys in engineering would be able to fix it? Also, I've searched for it but can't find it. I know I've seen a link to the "how-to" on the repair. Anyone know where to find it?

same thing happend to me yesterday, no display for me. Oh well i guess it needed to be replaced with something better anyway.

if you are going to go the route of replacing it why not try and reset it anyways for s**** and giggles? If it does reset and work, then put your new head unit it and sell the old one!

Well, it's very frustrating. I had planned on trading the car in at the end of the year, and was hoping to have everything stock. txrxs, have you tried resetting it yet?

Just go ahead and try resetting it, it can't hurt dude. I was able to reset mine two or three times before it completely crapped out. get a ball point pen and hold down the little white button for 5 secs, and see if it fixes it.

Edit: nevermind, your problem is a bnit different than what I had. Mine didn't play or function at all when it went out, so I had nothing to lose.

well here's the bad news...resetting did nothing to solve the problem. Still no display, damnit all.

Well, s***! Thanks for trying. Okay, let me throw this out there. I may try and just order the new ribbon connector and getting a friend to repair it. Does the radio just unplug from the harness? In other words, use my radio keys to get the HU out, then simply unplug everything?

Ok, update...
I just went out to the car, and ejected the cd. When the face is open like that, the display works fine! But when I close it, the screen goes blank.. This is sounding more and more like a faulty ribbon. What do you think?

Too weird. My display was blank today, and the volume knob was not working, but the radio was playing. This is the first time this has happened to me, and a fairly new head unit. I pressed cd load, and removed the face then replaced it. This fixed my problem. I know some people have problems with the contacts on the back of the face lining up correctly. If this is the problem, you are supposed to fix it by bending out the springy metal plates on the side that are there when the face is removed. This keeps the face more secure. I'll see if I can find the exact link.

Thanks, this looks like a better alternative than having to deal with mazda, getting a new HU, calling Sirius to get my subscription changed to the new HU...etc.

Well, here's an update...
I went down to my local dealer (not a Mazdaspeed dealer), just to see if he would have a look at it. He says "Oh, yeah, we've seen this before. I'll put in an order for another...could take 3-4 weeks, though." I couldn't believe it! This is going to save me almost ten hours driving to get it done at the nearest MS dealer. Just thought I'd let you know in case any of you are in the same boat as me.

my head unit crapped out earlier this week. i took it to jeff haas and he said the replacement would be in around 3 days to 2 weeks.

Back