!!!Shifting Into Reverse!!!

Mp5speed

:
Mp5 2003
Does anyone have any problems shifting into reverse. My car tends to grind like a mother about every other time i go into reverse. The car only has about 18K miles on it. I will be a complete stop with the clutch fully depressed and will go through nuetral into reverse and it will just grind like a b****. And today, for about half a minute, I couldnt even put it in to reverse with the freakin car off, I then turned the car on and just grinded trying to shift. Should I just take it in to mazda and have them look at it?? Thanx guyz.

yea....it sounds like it could be your synchros...maybe im no mechanic but possibly. definately take that bad boy in and good luck!

Yeah, I mean, our reverse is stubborn sometimes but it never grinds that much. Take it in.

Reverse doesn't have syncros. Mine is like that, I'm at 70K miles. I usually just put it in second and then reverse and it goes in OK.

If the rpm's are at idle and clutch is fully pushed in, it should never grind. Otherwise, it's fairly normal for reverse to be "stubborn".
If it doesn't go in, just return to neutral, release clutch, push clutch back in and try again.
When you release the clutch in neutral, you basically connect the engine with the input shaft of the tranny.. so you're spinning/realligning the teeth reverse will have to engage into.
Most of the time, clutch out and back in in neutral should be enough.

or just slowly let up on the clutch while it is in reverse, you will feel it pop into gear. It's because there is no synchro for reverse, so you need to align everything by letting the clutch up a little.

mine has been doing that since day one....no probs really.....just put it in first let off the clutch a lil to slightly engage 1st..then push clutch in put in reverse and you should be fine.

if it grinds when you have the clutch fully depressed then your clutch isn't disengaging which causes the clutch to drag and wear itself out along with the tranny. Have the fluid bled and see if that fixes it.

I occasionally grind (slightly) when initially trying to reverse. What I do is just put it in neutral then wiggle the shifter left to right while bouncing up and down on my seat. Works like a charm.

I never grind, but I always put it in first, and then into reverse.

Other have had similar problems. Do a search of the boards, read the solutions, and then come back if the problem persists.

RX said:
I occasionally grind (slightly) when initially trying to reverse. What I do is just put it in neutral then wiggle the shifter left to right while bouncing up and down on my seat. Works like a charm.

lol, 4 real?

RX said:

haha bounce up and down. did you read that in your owners manual?thats good stuff man.

i have to put it in neutral then depress the clutch again to put it into reverse most of the time.
i was told it's the synchros or something, it will grind but you can tell it's not fully in gear

Back