Nostalgia for my SE-R/realistic numbers?

:
'90 MX-5, '00 328i
OK-- I got a '93 SE-R when I turned 17-- owned it almost 10 years, but never did any mods because I was always a) in school b) out of the country c) scraping a bottom feeder salary.

Now I'm a rich man (heh right) and have about a year until I've paid off my "phat ride" of a Protege (almost stock just a filter and nice tires, same as my SE-R). Well Protege wins handling hands down, but the SR20DE edged the Mazda hard so far in straight speed.

So here we go, wanting my '03 ES to be as fast as my '93 SE-R.

SE-R w/SR20DE engine
supposedly 140 horsepower 132 lb-lbs torque at the crank
??? wheel horsepower
according to the car mags 7.4-7.6 seconds to 60
15.8-15.9 seconds in the 1/4 miles

ES w FS engine
supposeldy 130 horsepower 135 lb-lbs torque at the crank
103 wheel horsepower

Weight-- ES 100 lbs more?

Here are my proposed/done mods (being modest w/ wheel horsepower):
Apexi/eBay short ram: 1.5
OBX header: 7
MAM catless midpipe: 3
RB catback: 4.5
MP3 ECU: 5

= 21 wheel horses?
~ 25 crank horses
= 155 horses vs. 140 SE-R horses

With a 150? lb disadvantage
'03 Protege ES = stock '93 Nissan Sentra SE-R
7.5 0-60 = 7.5 0-60
15.8 quarter = 15.8 quarter

Or am I actually being too hard on our special engine? :)
and... stock SE-R: Toast.

Yeah I know Aussie P5 man is running 15.5, but he has cam work right?
I'm being hard on my ES heh.... I want 15s!!!
Or maybe I just love my old SE-R too much and don't want to dis it! Good times, good times.

Oh BTW I sold the SE-R before I bought the ES... great car but getting old and I needed something with 4 doors. If I had more money I would have kept it... got well better than book value though! Not counting on that for the Protege so I might as well mod it out and run it into the ground until it's just my weekend autocross/race car.

All I know is SE-R was helluva lotta fun. But my ES with these ~1000 dollar power mods (not to mention the possiblity of cams eventually) plus 500 dollars worth of discount suspension work could be a total SE-R killer in the fun department.

OK I'll shut up. Out.

Last edited:
SilverBulletES said:
OK-- I got a '93 SE-R when I turned 17-- owned it almost 10 years, but never did any mods because I was always a) in school b) out of the country c) scraping a bottom feeder salary.

Now I'm a rich man (heh right) and have about a year until I've paid off my "phat ride" of a Protege (almost stock just a filter and nice tires, same as my SE-R). Well Protege wins handling hands down, but the SR20DE edged the Mazda hard so far in straight speed.

So here we go, wanting my '03 ES to be as fast as my '93 SE-R.

SE-R w/SR20DE engine
supposedly 140 horsepower 132 lb-lbs torque at the crank
??? wheel horsepower
according to the car mags 7.4-7.6 seconds to 60
15.8-15.9 seconds in the 1/4 miles

ES w FS engine
supposeldy 130 horsepower 135 lb-lbs torque at the crank
103 wheel horsepower

Weight-- ES 100 lbs more?

Here are my proposed/done mods (being modest w/ wheel horsepower):
Apexi/eBay short ram: 1.5
OPX header: 7
MAM catless midpipe: 3
RB catback: 4.5
MP3 ECU: 5

= 20 wheel horses?
~ 24 crank horses
= 154 horses vs. 140 SE-R horses

With a 100? lb disadvantage
'03 Protege ES = stock '93 Nissan Sentra SE-R
7.5 0-60 = 7.5 0-60
15.8 quarter = 15.8 quarter

Or am I actually being too hard on our special engine? :)

Yeah I know Aussie P5 man is running 15.5, but he has cam work right?
I'm being hard on my ES heh.... I want 15s!!!
Or maybe I just love my old SE-R too much and don't want to dis it! Good times, good times.

Oh BTW I sold the SE-R before I bought the ES... great car but getting old and I needed something with 4 doors. If I had more money I would have kept it... got well better than book value though! Not counting on that for the Protege so I might as well mod it out and run it into the ground until it's just my weekend autocross/race car.

How much does the SE-R weigh? I dont think you can make mid 7s to 60 in the Protege with just those mods. Maybe gearing plays a factor too?

I could be wrong tho.

people are havin trouble gettin 140whp N/A thats with headers/intake/exhaust/cams/mp3 ecu(standalone).. not sayin it cant be done but its gonna cost alot.. the msp if i am not mistakein is 170hp(150whp).. only way to make our cars fast is FI

shaneMazda2000P said:
people are havin trouble gettin 140whp N/A thats with headers/intake/exhaust/cams/mp3 ecu(standalone).. not sayin it cant be done but its gonna cost alot.. the msp if i am not mistakein is 170hp(150whp).. only way to make our cars fast is FI

Oh, totally not saying 140 whp would be easy... I'm talking 125 shouldn't be too too hard even without cams(?) with enough airflow... and that should be up to my SE-R's pull... that's really fast enough for me. Of course the SE-R had a 7500 rpm redline... but less torque down low. I kinda prefer the Protege for light to light city driving.

I'm already in the danger zone of getting a ticket everyday on the highway with 105 whp. Most people drive like such pussies. Of course they're driving lardy isolated automatic cars for the most part so maybe they should. I had a 65 horsey 3-cylinder Mitsubishi Minica when I lived in Japan (given to me by my boss not a choice, and I took the train into Tokyo anyway) and that was way more fun than any lardass rental car with 3 times the power I've ever driven.

I'm saving FI for when I buy a Miata next year. If I want a ridiculous weekend power might as well have it in a go-cart.

Last edited:
SilverBulletES said:
I'm saving FI for when I buy a Miata next year. If I want a ridiculous weekend power might as well have it in a go-cart.

yeah miata's are sweet, i like the v8 upgrade for them..

u could think of it the same way by dropping turbos and superchargers.. you dont gain to much weight when u do the v8 and the new suspension upgrades make it ride better than stock.. to add to that on a stock 302 the car runs 12.8 seconds quatar mile and kills on the autoxtrack..

woohoo! aussie p5 man :D hehehehe

there is no reason why you cant get into the mid 15's with those mods + some weight saving + drag radials

Sorry Twilight I forgot your name. I had/have a good friend from Perth although I haven't seen him in years. His hobbies are music and alcohol abuse. Somewhere in that order. Hilarious man, but didn't care much about cars. :D He did have a sh*tbox 3-cylinder similar to mine when we lived in Japan. I often ended up driving it because he more ****** up than me. Stupid days. :)

shaneMazda2000P said:

I'll pretend I didn't just hear(read) you say that in the NA Tech section.
ONLY way to get our cars fast is by FI? Really? Is that why Andrew and I are already as fast as stock MSPs?

The reason the Protege has less hp and is slower than the SE-R is because any Mazda made from 2000-2003 has it horsepower rating horribly overrated. The RX8 was originally rated at 250hp, the 02 Miata was rated at 155hp, and lets face it, the FS does not make 130hp. They dyno anywhere from 100-105. Which is more like 120-125hp at the crank. Nobody can sit there and tell me the non-turbo FS loses 30hp through drivetrain loss when the MSP loses 15-20 and the Mazda3 MZR loses 18-20. My 125hp BP baselined at 110.9hp(the lowest BP baseline I've seen is 107).

Face guys, you're driving around with a 120hp engine......... :p

Gen1GT said:
Face guys, you're driving around with a 120hp engine......... :p

NOOOOO!! :)
Yeah I already figured that. I guess that's why I started this to guess how underrated our figure is compared to the base SE-R's 2.0. So it's probably something like 15-20 whp.

Fortunately I bought it for the handling potential first. And it didn't hurt that it's by far the best looking sedan out there for less than 30K. And the the fact our little car swept 4 out of 4 Car and Driver comparos in a row shows its overall goodness. ('00 ES, '01 P5, '01 MP3, '02 LX... I think those are the right years.)

The engine is of course starting out a C+/B-. Once I start nearing Gen1GT's and Twilight's territory though I think I will be well pleased.

Ex '92 SE-R owner here...we should form a support group.

I've read that the later SE-R '93-94 didn't make the same 140hp after some cam changes were made to improve emissions...but Nissan wasn't going to revise numbers mid model with less power.

Don't forget the SE-R also came with a LSD...thats going to help off the line numbers.

davens said:
Ex '92 SE-R owner here...we should form a support group.

I've read that the later SE-R '93-94 didn't make the same 140hp after some cam changes were made to improve emissions...but Nissan wasn't going to revise numbers mid model with less power.

Don't forget the SE-R also came with a LSD...thats going to help off the line numbers.

Whatchutalkinbout my 93! :D

The smaller cam was on the '94. My brother had a '94-- I could feel the difference. Farking emissions....

I liked the '93 the best b/c the grill and front air dam were nicer, liked the seat fabric better, better looking gauges IMHO, and some other subtle tweaks.

Saw a turbo and a couple other SE-Rs today at the autcross... got misty-eyed... but I think this blue MP3 slayed at least a few of them.

if i remember right my 97 200sx se-r hit 60 in second gear. my p5 hits 60 in 3rd so that will add some time onto your 0-60 of course....if you need to know any figures on wheel horsepower or anything just look on http://www.se-r.net.
the other area where the se-r is much better is engine construction. the sr20de it an incredible motor and is fine making double its stock output without any internal work. turbocharging on them is awesome.....now if i could just make it work under the hood of my p5:( ....

pro5utah said:
if i remember right my 97 200sx se-r hit 60 in second gear. my p5 hits 60 in 3rd so that will add some time onto your 0-60 of course....if you need to know any figures on wheel horsepower or anything just look on http://www.se-r.net.
the other area where the se-r is much better is engine construction. the sr20de it an incredible motor and is fine making double its stock output without any internal work. turbocharging on them is awesome.....now if i could just make it work under the hood of my p5:( ....

Aren't there plenty of Mazdaspeeds here pushing 200whp without internal work?
Of course 2x SR20DE would be 250whp...

I saw a turbocharged 91 or 92 SE-R at the track the autocross the other day and it didn't do so hot. Could have been the driver though. :)

I figure when I finish my full I/H/E and get my ECU reflashed to MP3 I should easily be able to have that 140 again at the crank. Then it's onto cams, pulleys and that pesky engine management... woopie!

SilverBulletES said:
Aren't there plenty of Mazdaspeeds here pushing 200whp without internal work?
and there are plenty that have punched connecting rods through the block too..

SilverBulletES said:
I saw a turbocharged 91 or 92 SE-R at the track the autocross the other day and it didn't do so hot. Could have been the driver though. :)

many turbo sr20's are done poorly and it generally shows....occasionally you have one like searl tate's car that is incredible....for more info check out se-r.net

Back