Computer question:Problem setting up my new gig of ram...

kazson

Ok just bought a 1 gig of ram to run my video games i play better...got it installed and the computer is reading the "size" correctly but not the speed...its showing DDR 333 Single channle when it should read DDR 400 Dual channel ( i have 2 512 sticks i bought in a box set from new egg)

Now i think i could fix this problem myself however since i bought my motherboard from a friend when i try to go into the bios it has a password locked on it....

so my question is is there a way to set the speed of my Ram without using the bios or is there a way to remove the password off the motherboard?

thanks !

EDIT !!!(thumb)

Fixed the password problem by taking out the battery on the motherboard and putting it back in....which also fixed my RAM speed to DDR 400 like its supposed to read...

However its still reading Single channel and not dual channel and yes i do have a dual channel motherboard still confused any tips?

um....hit it w/ something??

11615652.jpg

Same as Micah said, If you have 3 memory slots(and 2 memory sticks), there's a correct arrangement that the memory sticks go in.
Most likely 1+2..

It should be simple.

i just checked my motherboards website and it says i should place it in slot 1 & 3

sounded simple enough however when i do the comptuer wont boot up it just makes that lound DING noise over and over again...

try booting up while holding down DEL, this will erase/reset your bios, maybe then it will recognize the setup

Nextruss said:
try booting up while holding down DEL, this will erase/reset your bios, maybe then it will recognize the setup

WTF, that doesn't reset s***. Please know what your talking about before giving advice.

kazson said:
i just checked my motherboards website and it says i should place it in slot 1 & 3

sounded simple enough however when i do the comptuer wont boot up it just makes that lound DING noise over and over again...

What Make Model of Mobo is it? If you look around you should be able to find a list of the BIOS beep codes, that should get you started in the right direction.

you reset the BIOS codes by moving the CMOS pin over for 10 seconds.. then replace it. and boot up.

We need a lil bit more info^.

Do you know for a fact that the version of mobo or bios supports dual channel memory? You might need to update to a newer level of bios to support it.

Ben

make sure you didn't knock the video card loose while you were in there..

Back